Miscellaneous NHL Discussion LI: Covid Cup Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Have to say though lowest stress championship in any sport in a long time. I'm fine with either of these teams.

Coburn (not playing but still), Hedman, Point, Yanni Gourde (great name), Kucherov, Sergachev, Heiskanen, Klingberg, Roope Hintz (great name, would be a nice transaction), Mattias Janmark (also would like him...alas), Esa Lindel (another great name)...can't complain

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Have to say though lowest stress championship in any sport in a long time. I'm fine with either of these teams.

Coburn (not playing but still), Hedman, Point, Yanni Gourde (great name), Kucherov, Sergachev, Heiskanen, Klingberg, Roope Hintz (great name, would be a nice transaction), Mattias Janmark (also would like him...alas), Esa Lindel (another great name)...can't complain
Always needs to be at least one party crasher.

Blake Coleman vs Corey Perry. Blech.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
They don't have much cap room and Barzal is about to get paid. They'll be a different team next year... but it probably won't look different on the ice. :rolleyes:
ya they have some awful contracts too. eberle, ladd, lee, varlamov. I really don't see them being a problem for us next year with a healthy team and more experienced young d/goalie

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
ya they have some awful contracts too. eberle, ladd, lee, varlamov. I really don't see them being a problem for us next year with a healthy team and more experienced young d/goalie
I think you are selling them pretty short.

On paper...we are good...but they are a more a step ahead of us atm. Forwards are more developed on their side, top players are more on the up swing than ours. They will be competitive for the next few years for sure.

Varlamov, let in alot of softies, so that might be a saving grace.

I mean we are alot of maybes still. Our next wave of players, TK. Patrick, Frost, Lindblom...today are more questions than answers.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
I think you are selling them pretty short.

On paper...we are good...but they are a more a step ahead of us atm. Forwards are more developed on their side, top players are more on the up swing than ours. They will be competitive for the next few years for sure.

Varlamov, let in alot of softies, so that might be a saving grace.

I mean we are alot of maybes still. Our next wave of players, TK. Patrick, Frost, Lindblom...today are more questions than answers.

nah we are better. We barely lost and had so many things going against us. I am super confident a healthy lindblom, ghost and frost next year gets us over them. They will only add dobson, whalstron, and sorokin. None of those guys are huge adds. Plus our young guys are going to continuously improve. I am expecting big things from Myers, sanheim, provorov, tk, farabee, lindblom, and a great 4th line of IF laughton is on it. Didn't even include Patrick in that and if he comes back its a HUGE add

i don't think tk/lindblom are questions. Tk was just off, idk what was going on but he is still really young and had a really promising year. Lindblom looks like he will get back to normal with a good summer. Frost should have a full rookie year like farabee and see good time with decent wings. I don't see much improvement from the isles roster. Its the same thing really with just dobson, sorokin, and whalstrom added.

call me crazy but I have flyers, canes, and even rangers over isles next year

Last edited:

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
I'm still confused by your character arc, are you both a Canes and Flyers fan? What's the lore here
Canes first, Flyers second. I was born and raised in North Carolina, a source of shame and pride simultaneously. NC is full of right wing f***nuts, but I've lived my entire life in the Democrat run asylum cities of Durham, Asheville, and Raleigh. I was born in Durham, my family moved to Asheville when I was a toddler, then back to Raleigh the same year the Canes relocated from Greensboro to Raleigh. (Side note: Don't know how many of y'all know this, but the arena in Raleigh the Canes were slated to play in wasn't constructed, so they played their first two seasons in Greensboro with drapes obstructing the upper level).

Despite being raised in NC, I was always a hockey fan due to my northern family (side note: I've got a family in Reading. One cousin played hockey through college and eventually wound up working for the Flyers, I inherited a lot of hockey clothes from him. His brother helped my uncle set up their house with the tackiest Christmas lights ever. If you're from the area there's a good chance you've driven by their place in winter.) My mom was born in Havertown, which is right outside of Philadelphia, and my father grew up in a little town called Ashland near Centralia. They met in Philly at a bus stop and eventually got married, moved south, and popped out some kids including me. I was somewhat confused as a child. At one point I wore a Phillies shirt and a Braves hat at the same time.

Proof: Little baby SBA acting the fool...

atlphi.jpg

So I'm a dirty fan of multiple teams. I've got a Faulk home, Slavin away, and a Provorov away jersey in the closet currently. I had a Richards and Pronger OG Winter Classic jersey, but they were destroyed in a fire in 2015.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
nah we are better. We barely lost and had so many things going against us. I am super confident a healthy lindblom, ghost and frost next year gets us over them. They will only add dobson, whalstron, and sorokin. None of those guys are huge adds. Plus our young guys are going to continuously improve. I am expecting big things from Myers, sanheim, provorov, tk, farabee, lindblom, and a great 4th line of IF laughton is on it. Didn't even include Patrick in that and if he comes back its a HUGE add

i don't think tk/lindblom are questions. Tk was just off, idk what was going on but he is still really young and had a really promising year. Lindblom looks like he will get back to normal with a good summer. Frost should have a full rookie year like farabee and see good time with decent wings. I don't see much improvement from the isles roster. Its the same thing really with just dobson, sorokin, and whalstrom added.

call me crazy but I have flyers, canes, and even rangers over isles next year
varlamov was a huge reason we were in 2 of the games we won. The series wasn't really that close. They really don't need to add to the team to be successful. Their core is all intact and they are pretty darn good.

Until guys actually have some production, they are question marks. TK..zero goals. Still a bit of a question mark. Nobody thought that was going to happen. From a play perspective he had his moments, so that was at least encouraging.

I have confidence in alot of our young players long term, but not NEXT season being enough to make a move up against a really solid team with Trotz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->