Miscellaneous NHL Discussion: 2016/17 Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Sorry man but ill always hate the Leafs more than the Caps.

They are also all that stands between Pitt and another Cup. Leafs dont have what it takes to win a series against Pitt yet.

It probably ultimately depends on a person's degree of exposure to Dale Hunter. I'd imagine anyone who had more or less full exposure to his career wouldn't really succumb to any Crap-related forgiveness, e.g. Ovechkin sympathies, even this much later, even without the levels of tenacity I have when it comes to hating stuff. He was an extremely vile character.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The depths of incompetence are endless and varied.

Name another of the major sports leagues where the Coyotes situation would have been allowed to proceed that way. I will never forget watching the livestream of a City of Glendale Council meeting where HFBoards BoH users were quoted by screen name breaking down the fiduciary horsebleep Ice Azrizona and the NHL were peddling. When the NBA had to step in and buy New Orleans, they went through a clear and realitvely quick process that ended with a new, stable owner. The NHL propped up a puppet who didn't have the cash to put up, nor the ability to pay off his financial obligations to Fortress Investment Group while sending Greg Jamison out to do PR despite never having the money either.

I would tell you the dismantling of the Blackhawks was the best example of the hard cap being inferior to a soft cap with a meaningful luxury tax spread among lower-income teams, but I'm ranting now.

I just laugh at how these idiots are so stubborn that they willing punt seasons when a new deal needs to be reached. It's not just Bettman's but the owners & NHLPA as well. No other league does this anymore. The worst thing that might happen is they'll take it late into their preseason like the NFL & NBA did their last negotiations.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
It probably ultimately depends on a person's degree of exposure to Dale Hunter. I'd imagine anyone who had more or less full exposure to his career wouldn't really succumb to any Crap-related forgiveness, e.g. Ovechkin sympathies, even this much later, even without the levels of tenacity I have when it comes to hating stuff. He was an extremely vile character.

He couldnt have been worse than Darcy Tucker and Tie Domi on those early 2000s Leafs teams. Its not possible to be worse lol.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia

Yup...I mentioned the hate from the Dale Hunter days in a previous post as one of the reasons it is hard for me to support the Capitals to this day.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
He definitely, absolutely was - I promise. I would say "in my opinion," but I'm pretty sure that there are algorithms and equations we could run to prove it :laugh:

I have some memories of Hunter but not many since I started watching Hockey in 93.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Another missed big 5on3 opportunity. This time by the Leafs.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I just laugh at how these idiots are so stubborn that they willing punt seasons when a new deal needs to be reached. It's not just Bettman's but the owners & NHLPA as well. No other league does this anymore. The worst thing that might happen is they'll take it late into their preseason like the NFL & NBA did their last negotiations.

You know, you're right. I tend to absolve the players themselves of blame because they're not business owners, but they went out and hired the one guy who could have made relations worse. Both sides can't see the forest for the trees.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Goalie interference? If anything Andersen was interfering with Backstrom.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Wow Andersen basically used Backstrom to interfere with himself. Weird play.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
As the years have gone on I've actually gained more respect for a guy like Barnaby who I otherwise used to loath. That guy would never backdown from some of the toughest guys in the league despite a big disadvantage in size & fighting ability that often would make him a punching bag in a fight.

The pests today are such an embarrassment.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Chris Lee really is the worst in the league. He shouldn't even be in the playoffs.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Give me the CDP top, or I guess bottom, 5.

You're dead to me if Chelios doesn't make the list.

I don't know if you have read "Hi Fidelity" by Nick Hornby (or saw the relatively awful film adaptation), but I am more or less like that guy - I'd agonize for months over that list, because it's full to bursting. I'm dead to you though lol because Chelios is nowhere near it. The initial list, the ones making the first cut, would probably be something like:

Gretzky
Messier
Lemieux
****ing Glen Anderson
****ing Esa Tikkanen
Fuhr
St. Louis Blues #16 Butt Hole
Bernie Federko
Dale Hunter
Denis Potvin
Paul Coffey
****ing Crosby
The 1991 Minnesota Choke Stars
The guy in charge of electricity in Boston Garden in 1988
Kevin ****ing Lowe

... I'm too angry to type any more lol ... but there are more.

EDIT: ****ing Barnaby

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
How do you **** that call up that bad? Every goalie just took notice and will use that from now on the get the call

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
Chris Lee really is the worst in the league. He shouldn't even be in the playoffs.

This this this. He is the absolute worst ref in the NHL.

There's no way he was going to overturn his own call, even though he was clearly wrong.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I don't know if you have read "Hi Fidelity" by Nick Hornby (or saw the relatively awful film adaptation), but I am more or less like that guy - I'd agonize for months over that list, because it's full to bursting. I'm dead to you though lol because Chelios is nowhere near it. The initial list, the ones making the first cut, would probably be something like:

Gretzky
Messier
Lemieux
****ing Glen Anderson
****ing Esa Tikkanen
Fuhr
St. Louis Blues #16 Butt Hole
Bernie Federko
Dale Hunter
Denis Potvin
Paul Coffey
****ing Crosby
The 1991 Minnesota Choke Stars
The guy in charge of electricity in Boston Garden in 1988
Kevin ****ing Lowe

... I'm too angry to type any more lol ... but there are more.

EDIT: ****ing Barnaby

Maybe its because I didnt read the book, but I really liked the movie High Fidelity lol

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Great shift from Matthews.

Nice tertiary assist by the linesmen. Brutal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad