Miscellaneous NHL Discussion: 2016/17 Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Chychrun had a good year but I'd still take the other guys who went ahead of him. I don't think Bean is in the NHL next year but the others very well could be.

I know people will say Chychrun played well in the NHL this year but McAvoy to me is the guy who most improved this year imo. He very well could end being the best of the bunch long term.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Chychrun was basically ready to jump to the NHL right away. He made some mistakes but he's played well. Another guy who is built like an older guy while young.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Weird that he didn't need 2 years in the AHL.

In a sit down with NHL.com's Dan Rosen, Chayka stated defensive play is about transition, rather than man-on-man defending.

"The philosophy is fairly simple. It's when we don't have the puck, recover the puck as quickly as possible," Chayka said. "There are all kinds of different forms where you can gain possession of the puck, some of them are physical, and some of them are non-physical, so I think you need a blend to have both.

"Once you get the puck back, it's to transition the puck. Defense isn't about defending, it's about getting the puck in the forwards' hands and getting the puck moving in the offensive zone. It's about transitioning. That's the philosophy and that's been the theme behind the moves that we're making, let's get players who can get pucks back and get pucks up to forwards in an efficient and effective manner."
http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1065427-coyotes-gm-chayka-defense-isn-t-about-defending

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
That's a great quote and excellent perspective on the position.
I have posted this just before deadhead can tell us about the need to physically dominate the front of the net. :naughty:

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Dallas will turn it around quick with Hitch. Two way hockey under Ruff was never there and the games are tight checking and Dallas needs that instilled in them like Chicago. Flyers need that too.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Dallas will turn it around quick with Hitch. Two way hockey under Ruff was never there and the games are tight checking and Dallas needs that instilled in them like Chicago. Flyers need that too.

On flipside he is going to suck life out of offensive talent like Seguin and Spezza will quickly find himself in doghouse

I love the hire as a Hawks fan

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
th

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Trotz was a defensive minded coach in Nashville and people were unsure how the high-octane Caps players would adjust. It's been a match made in heaven.

I expect Dallas to bounce back and make the playoffs at the very least.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Hitch nailed Tarasenko to the bench in the playoffs while playing Steve Ott significant minutes. Think about that for a minute. For that alone if I were running a team I'd never touch the guy.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
On flipside he is going to suck life out of offensive talent like Seguin and Spezza will quickly find himself in doghouse

I love the hire as a Hawks fan
Your boys when on are the best back checking forward group in the league. The coach doesn't want it any other way either.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Hitch nailed Tarasenko to the bench in the playoffs while playing Steve Ott significant minutes. Think about that for a minute. For that alone if I were running a team I'd never touch the guy.
He's a one way gem unlike Chicagos top players. Even Kane in the playoffs pulls the Hossa back check lots.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Modano always credited Hitch with his development....I guess if Dallas develops another Modano...they would be happy. Not like they don't have offense though...:sarcasm:

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)

I sometimes wonder if coaches think that playing their best players the most is some form of coaching laziness, and that they will only be able to show their leadership ability by playing plugs who are 'gamers' in expanded roles.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Colorado continuing to prove what a laughing stock they've become. Reports out there they Sakic is going to protect Varly over Pickard haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad