Miscellaneous NHL Discussion: 2016/17 Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Don Cherry will probably find a way to blame this period on Zaitsev again. :laugh:

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I don't know how any could disagree with this.

Hockey at its best is a free-flowing, high event sport. It's not just goals, it's pace.

hakstolsame.gif

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I don't know how any could disagree with this.

Hockey at its best is a free-flowing, high event sport. It's not just goals, it's pace.

Purists hate it. It won but the style of play the Kings had all those years was god awful from an entertainment standpoint. Just low scoring conservative games between them & their opponent who would ultimately get dragged into it.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It's always funny seeing the hockey snobs say that high scoring hockey isn't real hockey (like the Flyers vs Pens series a few years ago) because "there's no defense"...

but the boring hockey is "real hockey", despite there being no offense...

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Purists hate it. It won but the style of play the Kings had all those years was god awful from an entertainment standpoint. Just low scoring conservative games between them & their opponent who would ultimately get dragged into it.
did you watch any of the games in that 2014 run? They were fast hard hitting games where they just kept the other teams outside and did whatever they wanted. Shark ,ducks,Hawks games with la were not boring but lopsided in play in Kings favor most of the time.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
The Kings are lucky they have Doughty. He's pretty much the only reason their style doesn't put everyone but their own fans to sleep.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

Yep, but it falls on the league to not be so incompetent as to let their product degenerate into the slop it has multiple times in the last ~25 years. I don't know what this league does well. I really don't.

TOqoxKU.gif

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Yep, but it falls on the league to not be so incompetent as to let their product degenerate into the slop it has multiple times in the last ~25 years. I don't know what this league does well. I really don't.

It's funny, I really love this league and I care about what happens even when it doesn't effect the Flyers at all, but you're right, it's nearly impossible to think of anything they are even competent at. It's like everything good about it is/happens in total spite of everything the league does/tries. There are some hapless clowns "upstairs," from the league office to owners' suites. I can't for the life of me understand how they can be headed to ANOTHER work stoppage ... but here we are.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
If SJ or Caps do not win SC this year Joe Thornton should sign with Caps. Maybe Joe and Ovie can figure it out together? Could be some good hockey to from both of them because Joe Still got it.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
It's funny, I really love this league and I care about what happens even when it doesn't effect the Flyers at all, but you're right, it's nearly impossible to think of anything they are even competent at. It's like everything good about it is/happens in total spite of everything the league does/tries. There are some hapless clowns "upstairs," from the league office to owners' suites. I can't for the life of me understand how they can be headed to ANOTHER work stoppage ... but here we are.

The depths of incompetence are endless and varied.

Name another of the major sports leagues where the Coyotes situation would have been allowed to proceed that way. I will never forget watching the livestream of a City of Glendale Council meeting where HFBoards BoH users were quoted by screen name breaking down the fiduciary horsebleep Ice Azrizona and the NHL were peddling. When the NBA had to step in and buy New Orleans, they went through a clear and realitvely quick process that ended with a new, stable owner. The NHL propped up a puppet who didn't have the cash to put up, nor the ability to pay off his financial obligations to Fortress Investment Group while sending Greg Jamison out to do PR despite never having the money either.

I would tell you the dismantling of the Blackhawks was the best example of the hard cap being inferior to a soft cap with a meaningful luxury tax spread among lower-income teams, but I'm ranting now.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Is there a more ridiculous penalty than the "gloving the puck in the faceoff circle?!"

Orpik is terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad