News Article: Misc. Oilers News/Info

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Does it look like this everywhere in the building or is it just a bad picture? Never been there.

That is Ford Hall, which is very cool and something to see, but it doesn't feel like an arena, it more feels like an airport with its massive ceiling height and openness. Once you are in the arena proper, it has a much better "feel" to it IMO.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
That is Ford Hall, which is very cool and something to see, but it doesn't feel like an arena, it more feels like an airport with its massive ceiling height and openness. Once you are in the arena proper, it has a much better "feel" to it IMO.

But the arena proper also has a massive ceiling height and openness. The difference from Rexall to the new rink was actually insane in terms of its open vastness, considering it only added a handful of seats.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Does it look like this everywhere in the building or is it just a bad picture? Never been there.

That's more or less the main decor all over. There's some vinyl art of the players on the concourse walls, but that's about it.

Overall, I don't know if I would go so far to call it bland, but compared with Rexall it's definitely a lot more corporate and uppity.

Rexall felt like a dedicated hockey arena where anyone could watch a game. Rogers feels more like a large convention centre that can accommodate a game if it needs to...and if you go there, you'll be surrounded by execs who are more interested in their smartphones than the game.

Reactions: CookiesAndMilk

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
That's more or less the main decor all over. There's some vinyl art of the players on the concourse walls, but that's about it.

Overall, I don't know if I would go so far to call it bland, but compared with Rexall it's definitely a lot more corporate and uppity.

Rexall felt like a dedicated hockey arena where anyone could watch a game. Rogers feels more like a large convention centre that can accommodate a game if it needs to...and if you go there, you'll be surrounded by execs who are more interested in their smartphones than the game.

Where are you sitting? Because I have been to nearly every game in this building and haven't been surrounded by execs on their smartphones even once and I sit in Loge where you'd maybe expect that!

What kind of decor is "corporate and uppity"? There is a ton of glass on the north side allowing natural light in so you dont feel your in a bomb shelter like the old dump that was Rexall. There is a shit ton more concourse space so you can actually walk and not be crammed in like cattle off to slaughter. They were supposed to put some sort of tile flooring down but that got nixed as it was going to put the building over budget. I wish they would have done that as the concrete floor gives it an unfinished look I agree. But its something they can always add later.

I am not a decor expert but overall this building is fantastic and I have been to over 20 other buildings in the league to watch the Oilers. Other than Detroit, we have one of the best buildings. Detroit sets a whole new standard, it is unbelievable but also cost way more than our building.

I also read that they added more hockey related decor over Covid, we will see tonight!

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
But the arena proper also has a massive ceiling height and openness. The difference from Rexall to the new rink was actually insane in terms of its open vastness, considering it only added a handful of seats.

Yeah, the arena is freaking HUGE really. I like the concourse aesthetics though personally, and I think they will start to have more "character" over the years as they add things. The Oil derrick and players tribute area (whatever that is going to be) this year. They will slowly add features like that over time and it will gain the needed character.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
Where are you sitting? Because I have been to nearly every game in this building and haven't been surrounded by execs on their smartphones even once and I sit in Loge where you'd maybe expect that!

What kind of decor is "corporate and uppity"? There is a ton of glass on the north side allowing natural light in so you dont feel your in a bomb shelter like the old dump that was Rexall. There is a shit ton more concourse space so you can actually walk and not be crammed in like cattle off to slaughter. They were supposed to put some sort of tile flooring down but that got nixed as it was going to put the building over budget. I wish they would have done that as the concrete floor gives it an unfinished look I agree. But its something they can always add later.

I am not a decor expert but overall this building is fantastic and I have been to over 20 other buildings in the league to watch the Oilers. Other than Detroit, we have one of the best buildings. Detroit sets a whole new standard, it is unbelievable but also cost way more than our building.

I also read that they added more hockey related decor over Covid, we will see tonight!
Yeah, I don't get this either. Everybody at any time is on their phone at the hockey game. My brother has seasons at Centre Ice. My friend has loge seasons, and a set in the corner lower bowl. I have never felt an "executives on their phone" atmosphere there. This is not Toronto, where you see that in the lower bowl. So many suits.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Yeah, I don't get this either. Everybody at any time is on their phone at the hockey game. My brother has seasons at Centre Ice. My friend has loge seasons, and a set in the corner lower bowl. I have never felt an "executives on their phone" atmosphere there. This is not Toronto, where you see that in the lower bowl. So many suits.

Most people I see with phones on the go are either your typical Snap chatter or People playing their pools

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad