Misc. NHL Talk: Trade Deadline Edition [April 12]

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Pour one out for the assumption of competence I made that they'd handshake this stupid thing and re-sign him on 7/1. Ridiculous.

JoJo, you should know better. If he hits FA, his agent is obligated to shop him, and the price of that kind of handshake would have been more money.
Term doesn't bother me, last year is age 31, but paying an extra half to million a year to keep him off the market?
Making him wait puts the risk on Laughton, and if he's my client I'm forcing the Flyers to pay for that risk.

The second factor is I suspect the league has quietly told teams it would look askance at such tricks to protect players from the ED.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
For me it's an optics thing. The team is playing poorly, it's your last chance to acquire assets to move forward with during the offseason, albeit I don't know how much they could actually get for the players actually available, and your move is to resign a 4th line player today. Why trade deadline day of all days?

Optics was near the top of my list for why I don't like this deal. I like Laughton on the Flyers and the deal is fair-ish. However, for a GM who stated that the team makeup is wrong, and whose team has subsequently pooped the bed several times, resigning a mid-6 winger to a 5-year contract isn't sending any signals that things will change. Secondly, this team needs a major addition to the roster and with Sanheim, Hart, and Patrick extensions due and other key players on the horizon, cap will be precious. For all the good things Laughton does, his bite of the cap is definitely expendable in favour of an ELC.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
JoJo, you should know better. If he hits FA, his agent is obligated to shop him, and the price of that kind of handshake would have been more money.
Term doesn't bother me, last year is age 31, but paying an extra half to million a year to keep him off the market?
Making him wait puts the risk on Laughton, and if he's my client I'm forcing the Flyers to pay for that risk.

The second factor is I suspect the league has quietly told teams it would look askance at such tricks to protect players from the ED.
upload_2021-4-12_18-6-56.png

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
Optics was near the top of my list for why I don't like this deal. I like Laughton on the Flyers and the deal is fair-ish. However, for a GM who stated that the team makeup is wrong, and whose team has subsequently pooped the bed several times, resigning a mid-6 winger to a 5-year contract isn't sending any signals that things will change. Secondly, this team needs a major addition to the roster and with Sanheim, Hart, and Patrick extensions due and other key players on the horizon, cap will be precious. For all the good things Laughton does, his bite of the cap is definitely expendable in favour of an ELC.

they said that major changes are going to happen in offseason and not at the deadline and i believe that because of the cap and expansion draft why do you think teams are going to just going to take big contracts off our team especially when teams have players to protect?

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

He’s not waiting if you’re agreeing to it. The difference is paperwork. If he loves it in the org so much that he doesn’t want to hit FA in the first place, it shouldn’t be a big deal.

I wouldn’t do it, but I also wouldn’t pass up UFA even in this budget crunch. They’re not going to pull the offer in the first hour of free agency. If your first contact with other teams goes poorly, you sign and tell them all about how you never wanted to leave.

The AAV is honestly lower than I thought it would be. Fair enough on that. You do not give depth players 5 years. It’s absolute lunacy. They bridged Sanheim and Myers. It’s the same team and the same GM. It’s indefensible.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Look at the JVR contract and tell me you’re not happy he has 2/14 left instead of 3/18. It’s always the term. You can make do with slightly higher cap hits. When you have too much term left, you don’t have options. It’s Gostisbehere too. It’s the same issue twisted every way to suit the narrative.

BernieParent

Mar 13, 2009
they said that major changes are going to happen in offseason and not at the deadline and i believe that because of the cap and expansion draft why do you think teams are going to just going to take big contracts off our team especially when teams have players to protect?

The potential to preserve as much cap space as possible is key to making those major changes since, as you said, teams aren't looking to take big contracts off the Flyers. Fletcher chose to invest $3 million of that into a middle-6 winger. Laughton is a good middle-6 winger who is versatile, has raised his offensive game, and seems to be well liked. But he is still a middle-6 winger who represents $3 million (- an ELC) less ammunition in Fletcher's arsenal.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

BernieParent

Mar 13, 2009
Look at the JVR contract and tell me you’re not happy he has 2/14 left instead of 3/18. It’s always the term. You can make do with slightly higher cap hits. When you have too much term left, you don’t have options. It’s Gostisbehere too. It’s the same issue twisted every way to suit the narrative.

Dale Weise is probably the poster child for this franchise's miscalculation of cap vs term.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Angry Jojo is always a little scary. I like it, but scary nonetheless.

I’ll be back to not giving a shit in 2 hours. I think I’ve watched one game in the last dozen or so. First time I can say that in as long as I can remember, although I did bail on the Hakstol Pittsburgh series.

At the same time, a lot of my close friends are huge Knicks fans, so I know how bad it can actually be. The Flyers aren’t even interestingly bad. They’re just boring.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
He’s not waiting if you’re agreeing to it. The difference is paperwork. If he loves it in the org so much that he doesn’t want to hit FA in the first place, it shouldn’t be a big deal.

I wouldn’t do it, but I also wouldn’t pass up UFA even in this budget crunch. They’re not going to pull the offer in the first hour of free agency. If your first contact with other teams goes poorly, you sign and tell them all about how you never wanted to leave.

The AAV is honestly lower than I thought it would be. Fair enough on that. You do not give depth players 5 years. It’s absolute lunacy. They bridged Sanheim and Myers. It’s the same team and the same GM. It’s indefensible.

OUzJPYHSblGKI.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Age is a big issue, if JVR signed the same deal at 27, no problem, it's not hard to move a scorer at 30 with 2yr/$14M, but at 32? And forget Voracek, who wants a 32 year old forward with 3yrs/$8.25M whose only value is offense. At age 32, downside risk is real, and there's little or no upside.

The problem with Ghost isn't term, but his history, if he didn't have those two off seasons due to injury, he'd been snatched up (and never offered). if Ghost finishes this season strong (allying concerns about durability and decline) he'll be easy to trade this summer.

By the time Laughton is 30, he'll be a 2yr/$6M deal with an escalating cap, and unless he totally implodes, would be easy to move. Even if he's only scoring 20 something at ES, as a top PK guy and above average 4th line guy he'll have buyers.

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
Dale Weise is probably the poster child for this franchise's miscalculation of cap vs term.
And player ability. Was always a bum. Just a bad signing. Shocked hexy got sucked into thinking he was anything but. Then again he threw lots of years and money at amac.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Age is a big issue, if JVR signed the same deal at 27, no problem, it's not hard to move a scorer at 30 with 2yr/$14M, but at 32? And forget Voracek, who wants a 32 year old forward with 3yrs/$8.25M whose only value is offense. At age 32, downside risk is real, and there's little or no upside.

The problem with Ghost isn't term, but his history, if he didn't have those two off seasons due to injury, he'd been snatched up (and never offered). if Ghost finishes this season strong (allying concerns about durability and decline) he'll be easy to trade this summer.

By the time Laughton is 30, he'll be a 2yr/$6M deal with an escalating cap, and unless he totally implodes, would be easy to move. Even if he's only scoring 20 something at ES, as a top PK guy and above average 4th line guy he'll have buyers.

When you’re signing max term UFA deals, which Voracek was, the idea is that you’re getting surplus value up front and you’re overpaying at the back. That’s the price of signing a star.

This is Scott Laughton. 350+ career games, 27 years old, absolutely no chance to be anything more than a depth piece. A good one to be clear, but still a depth piece.

How many depth UFA Forwards got 5+ years in recent history let alone during the flat cap panic? I can think of Brandon Tanev in 2019 getting 6/21 and that’s it. The 2019 Penguins were a hell of a lot closer to being an assembled team than the 2021 Flyers. Do you recall being positive about that deal? I sure don’t.

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
When you’re signing max term UFA deals, which Voracek was, the idea is that you’re getting surplus value up front and you’re overpaying at the back. That’s the price of signing a star.

This is Scott Laughton. 350+ career games, 27 years old, absolutely no chance to be anything more than a depth piece. A good one to be clear, but still a depth piece.

How many depth UFA Forwards got 5+ years in recent history let alone during the flat cap panic? I can think of Brandon Tanev in 2019 getting 6/21 and that’s it. The 2019 Penguins were a hell of a lot closer to being an assembled team than the 2021 Flyers. Do you recall being positive about that deal? I sure don’t.
The whole islander 4th line and komarov got 4-5 year deals. I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad