Misc. NHL Talk: Trade Deadline Edition [April 12]

Status
Not open for further replies.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
He could've just said we are evaluating. Just straight up said no. Of course, he was answering Sielski, so that could be a factor.

Felt odd

He didn't look thrilled about the question, but I'm not going to put myself in his head and insist I'm right about that either. It could have been absolutely nothing. It could have even just been who asked it, as you said.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Apologies if this gif has already made an appearance today:

iu

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If Chuck protects Laughton over JVR or Voracek we might as well just tear the entire franchise down.

Protecting Laughton at all is 100% indefensible.
The franchise has already been torn down. They may as well not even be called the Flyers anymore.

They're the Miami Dolphins or Las Vegas Raiders of the NHL where they think they're supposed to be somebody and aren't. Maybe the Bears.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Fletcher talking to the media right now

-Woke up not knowing if he was going to trade or sign Laughton

-Too early to decide what he needs to do this offseason

-Laughton wanted to be a Flyer. Started working on it before the season. Came to an agreement this morning. Lots of outside interest. We value him highly. Versatile.

-Laczynski is on the active roster for the rest of the season. Others in LV deserve a shot in the rest of this season.

-Gus didn't work. Deserved a chance to play. Emergence of Morin played a part, so did Ghosts "remarkable play" and how he's "continued to grow".

-Raffl played hurt this year and is still hurt right now

-Thinks there's duplicates in roles. Defense isn't set up in ideal way. Players can still make impressions before end of season

-Players like Laughton are "hard to get". Didn't want to trade and hope he could re-sign in offseason as UFA. "Part of the solution going forward".

-Teams north of the border have it harder due to quarantine. Flat cap has had a big impact on conversations he's having.

-Subtracting Laughton would have left a big hole this year and going forward. This group has enough talent to win more and play better than they have.

-Elliott is someone they value highly and he's done a good job.

-Niskanen types are hard to find. There's different types of D. We'll have to see what the opportunities are in the summer and how people look the rest of the season.

-Didn't answer when asked about protecting Laughton in ED by Carchidi. Only said they knew they wanted to re-sign him.

-Had higher expectations for team and will try to make the team as strong as possible this offseason.

-Will NOT consider changes to coaching staff

-Had numerous conversations with almost every GM.

He clearly seems to stereotype player profiles.

Not sensing much flexibility or creativity in thinking

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
It sucks. When we get to be so dedicated and such lifelong fans, you simply can't ever give up completely. Maybe its easier for fans living in other cities/markets where they can follow another team. I just cannot stop following the club but it is clear this isn't the franchise/culture that the flyers had been up until 2016/2017. It's like a gut punch when your this invested in it and they just continue to look less and less like any semblance of the club you have followed your whole life.

Im not reacting to today, i mean this is what I expected exactly. It's just so frustrating when maybe you think there may be some chance that they could do something, then you listen to Chuck's presser today and it is clear that he really doesn't give a shit.

Believe me, I know this next comment is going to draw a negative reaction, but at least I was entertained when we had Homer as the GM. Sitting through the building years with Hextall was a struggle, now sitting through the do nothing years of Fletcher is even more frustrating.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
It sucks. When we get to be so dedicated and such lifelong fans, you simply can't ever give up completely. Maybe its easier for fans living in other cities/markets where they can follow another team. I just cannot stop following the club but it is clear this isn't the franchise/culture that the flyers had been up until 2016/2017. It's like a gut punch when your this invested in it and they just continue to look less and less like any semblance of the club you have followed your whole life.

Im not reacting to today, i mean this is what I expected exactly. It's just so frustrating when maybe you think there may be some chance that they could do something, then you listen to Chuck's presser today and it is clear that he really doesn't give a shit.

Believe me, I know this next comment is going to draw a negative reaction, but at least I was entertained when we had Homer as the GM. Sitting through the building years with Hextall was a struggle, now sitting through the do nothing years of Fletcher is even more frustrating.
You can give it up though. It's great.

I mean, not forever of course. I'll be back next season. But unless we get a head start on ruining York this season, count me the f*** out

JABEE

Feb 12, 2010
Philadelphia
It’s hard to comprehend how boring the team is on top of how bad it is.

The Flyers franchise has no identity or pride in anything. They might as well tank at least they would bring in a generational talent to spark anything.

The overpaid coach will probably ruin them though with his 90s system.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

I gave up going to games like 5 years ago. Not that I had tickets or anything or went to like more than 5 or so games even in a good year. But that’s certainly not changing any time soon & it is getting to the point of just throwing in the towel completely until further notice. Playoffs are really the only other time I’ll watch other teams so if I give up the Flyers I pretty much give up the NHL/hockey.

For me winning is the most entertaining thing possible. This team has been stuck in purgatory for a decade now with its inability to consistently win enough year to year in sustainable ways & possibly have a legitimate chance at winning it all nonetheless actually win it. That hasn’t happened in that time frame & frankly doesn’t appear to be on the horizon at this point either.

Last edited:

Henry Miller

Sep 5, 2020
I haven’t been happy with Fletcher so far but I’m not ready to crucify him yet. He needs to be proactive in this offseason and if he isn’t, then he needs to head out of town

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If Chuck protects either Voracek or JVR, he's an idiot. Both are 32 next year, and mediocre defenders in their good years, liabilities in their bad years.
Neither is a key player going forward.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
I mean that has to be the answer, but f*** me if true.

Not really, you can say, "We will evaluate everyone at the end of the season."
Pour one out for the assumption of competence I made that they'd handshake this stupid thing and re-sign him on 7/1. Ridiculous.

What's he going to say? Yeah, I'm forcing Therrien out the door in a month? I don't think they'll make even an assistant change either, but saying that today doesn't mean it holds up in July.

Pour one for yourself too.

Reactions: Striiker
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad