Misc. NHL Talk: Trade Deadline Edition [April 12]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swic21

Jan 8, 2012
Canada
I know some have touched on it, but I really don’t like that Mantha deal from the caps perspective. A 1st, 2nd, Vrana, and Panik? The hell. What am I missing? Isn’t Vrana arguably better than Mantha?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Mantha is the better player, though Vrana might be a slightly better scorer.
Panik was probably included to balance the cap, he had an offseason this year and is 29.
But a 1st and 2nd as well as Vrana? Detroit made out like bandits.

Swic21

Jan 8, 2012
Canada
Not to mention Vrana seems to fit better with the Caps with his speed. Looks like the Caps are just trying to get the biggest team ever iced. I feel like they have lost a lot of their speed over the past couple seasons.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Ignoring the 4 year deals because that's not what I said, I really hope you're not saying Tyler Johnson is a comp. Killorn had RFA time left, was a power forward with what they thought was upside, and was coming off of 31 Points in 43 Playoff games over 2 years.

Coyle's probably the best comp there, but the Bruins pretty clearly thought they were buying more than he was. That's a hideous contract.

The rest of these are a list of Islanders. That should probably signify something.

Even if you say all of these are reasonable comps, not one of those deals has worked out at all except maybe Killorn? Even then it's hard to argue it's turned out particularly well. You've basically written my argument for me.

This happens a lot.

Reactions: Striiker

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
I wonder if they would consider exposing Laughton.

Would be a smart move, honestly. He's on a reasonable AAV contract and provides good value - so he might be attractive to Seattle.

I think Ghost has more value to this team than Laughton, so perhaps that's a viable strategy. Love Laughts, but I just think his skillset is more easily replaced (and quicker) from in-house than Ghost's.

I'm willing to give Fletch the benefit of this offseason.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I get what you’re saying but I don’t think there is a chance they expose him after giving him that contract. That’s more like wishful thinking than realistic outcomes.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Would be a smart move, honestly. He's on a reasonable AAV contract and provides good value - so he might be attractive to Seattle.

I think Ghost has more value to this team than Laughton, so perhaps that's a viable strategy. Love Laughts, but I just think his skillset is more easily replaced (and quicker) from in-house than Ghost's.

I'm willing to give Fletch the benefit of this offseason.

Can't substitute Laughton for Ghost, and Laughton would never have signed the deal if he wasn't promised protection.
Either 7-3-1 or 4-4-1, if you protect Ghost, you expose Myers or Lindblom (even if you expose Laughton).

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
I get what you’re saying but I don’t think there is a chance they expose him after giving him that contract. That’s more like wishful thinking than realistic outcomes.

I agree - it's probably not his intention to expose Laughton. But part of me wonders if that wasn't at least in the back of his mind. He's more attractive at 5 x $3M than, say 4 x $4M for a team like Seattle.

So the default could be that, no, he doesn't plan on exposing Laughton, but he may be open to it depending on other moves and signings between now and then.

I think Fletch is too much of a man of his word. If this were Homer, Laughts would be a #goner.

Homer: "Here's a 12 year contract, Jeff. Starts next season. You have my personal assurance that you will not be traded. By the way, you've been traded to Columbus."

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Can't substitute Laughton for Ghost, and Laughton would never have signed the deal if he wasn't promised protection.
Either 7-3-1 or 4-4-1, if you protect Ghost, you expose Myers or Lindblom (even if you expose Laughton).

I'm not saying substitute them, I get that they're both exposed... I'm saying that by having a very reasonable 3rd line guy who can play 2nd line in a pinch as an option, that might be more attractive than Ghost, depending on other defensive options around the league for Seattle and their needs.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

Directly asked by Carchidi and answered that he will be protected. Could it change? Of course. But it wasn't a PR answer. It was a flat yes with no explanation.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Seattle will absolutely pick Laughton if he's exposed. But I think it's pretty obvious that he's going to be protected, forcing Seattle to take one of the big contracts, or NAK which I doubt.

I really can't see Seattle picking Voracek or Ghost over JVR, so I guess he's the odd man out.

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
They're not going to go 4-4 to protect Ghost.

Giroux, Hayes, Couturier, Konecny would be the only protected forwards.
They're not protecting Ghost at all. I'd protect him over Myers at this point, I don't think Chuck would even take Ghost over Braun or Hagg. He may protect Braun over Myers.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
EyzA1p2WYAIC0hJ

I still like the trade for Detroit better. Washington gave up a lot but at least did get a legitimately pretty good player. Just don’t think the difference is Vrana, Panik, 1st, & 2nd.

The complaints Detroit fans have about Mantha or at least the vocal contingent that didn’t like him honestly sounds similar to Carter back in the day where it’s just not based in reality. :laugh:

well it’s just not Redwing fans who watch Mantha and want more out of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->