Misc. NHL Talk: Trade Deadline Edition [April 12]

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The whole islander 4th line and komarov got 4-5 year deals. I think.

Komarov got 4yr/$12M at 31 years old.
Cizikas got 5yr/$16.75M at 25 years old
Clutterbuck got 5yr/$17.5M at 29 years old
Martin got 4yr/$6M at 31 years old

TB
Killorn got 7yr/$31M at 27 years old
T Johnson got 7yr/$35M at 27 years old
Colorado
Compher got 4yr/$14M at 24 years old
Boston
Coyle got 6yr/$31M at 28 years old

You can find a lot more 3rd line types making more than Laughton at the same age on similar terms.

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
Idk how to feel about the trades and stuff, numbers scare me. But f***, why is our management staying the same? Our pp sucks and theres no accountability.

they are not changing the coaches every two years because of a flawed roster by your previous gm, next step is gutting the roster not changing coaches.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
EyzA1p2WYAIC0hJ

I still like the trade for Detroit better. Washington gave up a lot but at least did get a legitimately pretty good player. Just don’t think the difference is Vrana, Panik, 1st, & 2nd.

The complaints Detroit fans have about Mantha or at least the vocal contingent that didn’t like him honestly sounds similar to Carter back in the day where it’s just not based in reality. :laugh:

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Hexy brought Carter into shitsburh I'll might just throw up seeing him in their uniform. Still better than watch Yeo coached defense I guess.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Komarov got 4yr/$12M at 31 years old.
Cizikas got 5yr/$16.75M at 25 years old
Clutterbuck got 5yr/$17.5M at 29 years old
Martin got 4yr/$6M at 31 years old

TB
Killorn got 7yr/$31M at 27 years old
T Johnson got 7yr/$35M at 27 years old
Colorado
Compher got 4yr/$14M at 24 years old
Boston
Coyle got 6yr/$31M at 28 years old

You can find a lot more 3rd line types making more than Laughton at the same age on similar terms.

Ignoring the 4 year deals because that's not what I said, I really hope you're not saying Tyler Johnson is a comp. Killorn had RFA time left, was a power forward with what they thought was upside, and was coming off of 31 Points in 43 Playoff games over 2 years.

Coyle's probably the best comp there, but the Bruins pretty clearly thought they were buying more than he was. That's a hideous contract.

The rest of these are a list of Islanders. That should probably signify something.

Even if you say all of these are reasonable comps, not one of those deals has worked out at all except maybe Killorn? Even then it's hard to argue it's turned out particularly well. You've basically written my argument for me.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
EyzA1p2WYAIC0hJ

I still like the trade for Detroit better. Washington gave up a lot but at least did get a legitimately pretty good player. Just don’t think the difference is Vrana, Panik, 1st, & 2nd.

The complaints Detroit fans have about Mantha or at least the vocal contingent that didn’t like him honestly sounds similar to Carter back in the day where it’s just not based in reality. :laugh:
Well their window is closing shut so at least they aren't paying in some sort of delusional circumstance to be a pretender like yotes have done of late.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Ignoring the 4 year deals because that's not what I said, I really hope you're not saying Tyler Johnson is a comp. Killorn had RFA time left, was a power forward with what they thought was upside, and was coming off of 31 Points in 43 Playoff games over 2 years.

Coyle's probably the best comp there, but the Bruins pretty clearly thought they were buying more than he was. That's a hideous contract.

The rest of these are a list of Islanders. That should probably signify something.

Even if you say all of these are reasonable comps, not one of those deals has worked out at all. You've written my argument for me.

Not really, the problem with these deals was price, not term.
When Laughton is 30, the cap should be up 10% or more with the new TV deals, and another 5-10% his last year.
So at that point you don't need 40 points to justify the out years, 20-25 points and continued good PK play will suffice.
That reduces the out year risk to a tolerable level. Laughton would have to fall off a cliff at 30 to be a disaster.
And it's out year risk that is the problem in long-term deals.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Not really, the problem with these deals was price, not term.
When Laughton is 30, the cap should be up 10% or more with the new TV deals, and another 5-10% his last year.
So at that point you don't need 40 points to justify the out years, 20-25 points and continued good PK play will suffice.
That reduces the out year risk to a tolerable level. Laughton would have to fall off a cliff at 30 to be a disaster.
And it's out year risk that is the problem in long-term deals.

As I'm sure you remember, I have a much harsher opinion of wasting lineup spots than you do. So I would say we're both being consistent in our approaches at least.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
EyzA1p2WYAIC0hJ

Button was ripping him today. Guess he’s just one of those guys that rubs people the wrong way.

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It’s going to be even funnier when Fletcher pays Seattle to take one of JVR or Voracek while protecting Laughton.

I doubt we'll pay to have Seattle take anyone.
We'll protect G, Couts, Hayes, TK, Lindblom, Patrick and Laughton, expose NAK, JVR and Voracek.
Seattle will probably pass on them and take Ghost or Hagg.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Button was ripping him today. Guess he’s just one of those guys that rubs people the wrong way.
It's also important to have a context. There was certain coveted dman a while back who was universally praised as a great tdl addition just because he played 25 minutes on shitty team.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
As I'm sure you remember, I have a much harsher opinion of wasting lineup spots than you do. So I would say we're both being consistent in our approaches at least.

I just feel as long as a contract is fungible at low cost (say retain a million, about what you'd save by waiving and sending to LHV), there is little out year risk. It's not that hard to move a player with a couple years left who is still viable by taking a small haircut.

The contracts that kill are the larger deals that extend into the mid-30s, like Voracek from 32-34, when even if the player is still productive to some extent, the value gap is much larger and the cap hit is far more onerous.

JABEE

Feb 12, 2010
Philadelphia
Fletcher has spent the past two offseasons adding minor pieces or letting go of minor pieces outside of Hayes.

Hayes had one great season and fell off this year. So, we really don't know what he is going to look like moving forward as he continues to age.

This Flyers team doesn't need another offseason of acquiring the minor piece. They have been pretty bad at hitting on long shots.

I can't really see a situation where Fletcher does a big splashy move though.

The big move I expect is for them to trade Nolan Patrick to Las Vegas for nothing and he will then turn his career around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad