Mirtle: End is near for Hyman in Toronto

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Also, I can't wait for Craig Simpson to be like "Zach Hyman hasn't scored a goal in 3 months" then 2 minutes later he'll score against the Matthews line. Hughson will barely be able to contain himself.

Reactions: Menzinger

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Even at a discount it might be wiser to spend say $4+m on 2 solid UFAs rather than Hyman. For example Kuraly and Goodrow.
We need a quality 3C and the majority of our competition, I’m not talking about just winning a round, people want to beat the best right?
They all sport an 8-10 mil 3rd line. Plus we need two top 6 wingers.

Reactions: ToneDog

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
then why are there snarky comments in here about the cap or how he'll be replaced by a small player? even if Toronto had 50m in cap space I wouldnt want Hyman resigned for what he wants.. so it looks like a lot of people here are not accepting it..

Ok, if that's how your reading it. I don't really see anyone not accepting it.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
And we only need to sign about 10 players with that money so yay us.

I looked at it a few weeks ago , I think we have around $65 mil tied up (if Kerfoot is picked up by Seattle) with about 7 players to sign, mostly bottom of the line up players, back up goalie, bottom 2 dmen...

TheBigFour

Apr 17, 2019
I love how people were saying no to Hyman in other thread when it was rumoured he was was asking close to six and now that it might be confirmed, people now blaming dubas.
Pick a side for crying out aloud.
It’s seem like hating dubas is just common thing on this board.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
There were so many posters confident that Hyman would take a hometown discount. Not gonna happen it looks like. I guess overpaying does have consequences. Excuse me for getting some satisfaction out of that. That's a lesson the team needs to learn.

The hometown discount talk was pure wishful thinking. Put yourself in Hyman's shoes - would you seriously take a hometown discount for this core? The core that refuses to get their hands dirty in the playoffs but fought rabidly for every penny in negotiations?

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
Heart and soul guy walks for nothing. Explain to me how things will be better next year again?

This year looks like “peak” Maple Leafs and it gets uglier from here....

Next on Kyle's acquire list will be zamboni drivers, janitors and concession stand workers. Any warm body will do as long as it can fit into a uniform and keep the rich players on the team in the money.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
We need a quality 3C and the majority of our competition, I’m not talking about just winning a round, people want to beat the best right?
The al sport an 8-10 mil 3rd line. Plus we need two top 6 wingers.

Becoming clearer and clearer that the move to make is to move Mitch. Too bad it is not clear to the architects of this mess and their bosses.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
It's not so much letting Hyman go because the price to retain him will be too much and not worth it.

It's who they will bring in to replace his role. It's not like the team has anyone, particularly younger and cheaper, who will fill the role. And to obtain one in the market will require a longer contract and an overpayment -- similar to that it would to keep Hyman.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Hyman makes whatever line he is on better and is the only player on this roster who never takes a shift off.

Hard worker and high character. Of course the Leafs will let him walk. Would you expect anything else?

Would you pay market value for him? I love the guy, but I wouldn't...

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
A destination where there's an opportunity for his dad to buy some ownership stake might some sense. Arizona maybe? Back to Florida? Does Larry Tanenbaum wish to sell off some of his stake in MLSE?

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
We should really push for Cizikas to be our third line C, Goodrow for much needed physicality but can still play a good game. Coleman would be ideal too but I don't think we have the money for him.
Cizikas at 3.5 and Goodrow at 2.75 combined is basically what Hyman is going to make. I would much rather have those two instead of just Hyman.

Reactions: Cpt Maple Leaf

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
I took them out because with the exception of Spezza (who should be 4th line) those guys don’t make you better. They fail at the level of opponent quality.

But having them on the 4th line doesn't make you a bad team, having them play higher up like how they did against MTL does. Apart from the obvious top line not preforming, having Soupman on the 3rd and Simmonds on the 3rd line made it so we had no offence from the 3rd line at all, then throw Jumbo Joe in the lineup and your having trouble scoring.

We saw in the regular season, Soupman and Engvall and Hyman was a good line for us, had scoring chances and hemmed teams in there own end. If we can have our 4TH line do that and not our 3rd line suddenly its not as bad. You need scoring from your top 3 lines in the playoffs with your 4th line not to be a liability out there and have the ability to chip in against the other teams 4th line.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Becoming clearer and clearer that the move to make is to move Mitch. Too bad it is not clear to the architects of this mess and their bosses.
That’s why the architects have to go first, they will just double down on their thinking, because you can’t admit you effed up. I’d add a new regime has no loyalty to an aging JT either, clauses or not. You aren’t changing the culture with the same crew, it’s an admission of their failure and people simply don’t do that. Nope, it will be bandaids and having faith that we’re the next Caps or Wings.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
The same people cursing Matthews/Marner for lack of playoff success and wanting Dubas fired also want Hyman to stay because he works hard and makes everyone around him better? This is comical now.
Almost as comical as not being able to read apparently, nobody is arguing we keep him as I’m viewing it, it’s more losing him for NOTHING. Net negative.

Reactions: rumman

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Cap hell is cap hell ..

Zach Hyman just going to end up being another casualty of spending 1/2 your cap on 4 forwards.

Hyman is my favourite Leaf because I love his compete and him leaving only weakens the current team even more.

The Leafs really need more players like him and not less.

Yes...but even if we weren't in cap hell, is Hyman really worth what he's likely to get in the open market?

I think not.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
It's not so much letting Hyman go because the price to retain him will be too much and not worth it.

It's who they will bring in to replace his role. It's not like the team has anyone, particularly younger and cheaper, who will fill the role. And to obtain one in the market will require a longer contract and an overpayment -- similar to that it would to keep Hyman.

Goodrow, Coleman. Cizikas, Haula, Janmark might be good cheaper replacements. Maybe Bennett if Florida does not give him a QO.

Reactions: Green Snow Storm

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Did you watch this team without Tavares? Hyman was garbage. Cap space is only good if it’s being used lmao. You can’t play “cap space”

People on this board have lost it. Hyman over Tavares? For real? :laugh:

You may want to read that a little more slowly and think about what was actually being said.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Yes...but even if we weren't in cap hell, is Hyman really worth what he's likely to get in the open market?

I think not.
Of course not.
It’s just worse for us because we have nobody like that, nobody ready to step in like that, another addition to the depth of Kadri/Brown/Kapanen/Johnson bled away and a suspect core that can’t afford to lose quality depth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad