Mirtle: End is near for Hyman in Toronto

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
Hyman makes whatever line he is on better and is the only player on this roster who never takes a shift off.

Hard worker and high character. Of course the Leafs will let him walk. Would you expect anything else?
yeah, and i bet youll be the first to bitch at his contract if the leafs keep him, get outta here

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
You missed the one that kicked off this entire cap mess. :oops:

What are you reading where people are posting that they wanted Hyman resigned? It seems that everyone is accepting that he will be gone.

then why are there snarky comments in here about the cap or how he'll be replaced by a small player? even if Toronto had 50m in cap space I wouldnt want Hyman resigned for what he wants.. so it looks like a lot of people here are not accepting it..

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
And the pipeline is about to go dry, these lack of picks are going to catch up with us in a couple years. Every which way you look, the future is challenging.

I think in Dubas' fantasy all of his short term moves would push the 2020-21 over the top or at least close to it. Then in this fantasy all sorts of players would be willing to take paycuts just for the opportunity to play with this great team. I think that fantasy died this playoffs.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
And the pipeline is about to go dry, these lack of picks are going to catch up with us in a couple years. Every which way you look, the future is challenging.

We are so f***ed this season. Look at the goaltending of the remaining playoff teams and tell me we can seriously compete with them with what we have ?? Our bottom six is pure garbage and brings virtually nothing to the table. We have 5 forwards and are about to lose one to FA. Our only hope is stick boy signing quality UFAs at discounts. I won't hold my breath.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
If you had the choice today, would you rather sign JT for 4 x 11 (his remaining term) or Hyman for 6 x 6 ?

Neither would be a good signing.

If you put a gun to my head.....

Hyman's raise would be an additional $3.5M on the cap and I'd gain $11M in cap without JT. So my net cap savings would be $7.5M by signing Hyman

Hyman & $7.5M in Cap but no JT vs JT & 2.5M in Cap but no Hyman.

I think I'd take Hyman and the extra cap, but it would be a tough decision.

Reactions: rumman

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Is Amirov capable of playing in the NHL ? Robertson will get called up for sure so that's one ELC.
Robertson is a given next year, Amirov isn’t ready. Robertson in for Jumbo’s contract isn’t new found cash.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
We are so f***ed this season. Look at the goaltending of the remaining playoff teams and tell me we can seriously compete with them with what we have ?? Our bottom six is pure garbage and brings virtually nothing to the table. We have 5 forwards and are about to lose one to FA. Our only hope is stick boy signing quality UFAs at discounts. I won't hold my breath.
Isn’t it depressing to watch? And that’s a big question too, I liked Campbell, but who’s the backup next year and is this kid as good as what we’re seeing now in the playoffs, that’s a BIG if and again he did his job. What a shaky situation moving forward.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Rangers signed Panarin for 11.6m AAV. Are they in cap hell or is somebody over there capable of not shooting himself in the face by giving in to a greedy winger ??

To a point.
Rangers (to my knowledge) didn't have 3 expensive signings to make the following year though.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I like Hyman, and it sucks he’s going to be gone, but he seems like a prime candidate to be way overpaid by someone and be a regret 3 years down the road. Fringe 1st liners/Good middle 6 wingers like him always seem to get overpaid in UFA. Just of the top of my head, Backes, Nielsen, Ladd, Eriksson etc. Leafs just can’t afford a bad contract like that with the contracts of AM, JT, MM, WN being there.

Last edited:
Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
That makes me feel a little better
Well sorry to tell you but that we have 15-20 million is missing context.
How many players do you need for it?
If we strip down bare bones we are:

Need - Matthews. Marner
Need - Tavares - Nylander
Need - Need - Need
Need - Need - Need

Rielly - Brodie
Muzzin - Holl
Need - Need

Campbell
Need

60 million.
What you see there costs 60 million. 4 of them take 40 million.
Ok now you have your 20 million.
Welcome back to the Atlantic as well. We haven’t improved yet from a weak division.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The problem is not avoiding overpayment, there just isn’t anything in the pipeline to replace the Kadris/Johnson’s/Kaps/Hymans/etc.

The core is suspect IMO are we are living off UFA shopping and high picks to support that.

We need more Zach Hyman type players but if management insists on winning with Marner we’re going to be playing Cap Jenga for the next 4 years, letting good middle class soldiers they are so desperately needed go.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Dubas' overpayments are killing this team...the flat cap definitely doesn't help...Matthews $1 to $1.5 million overpaid...Marner $1 to $2 million overpaid, Nylander $500K overpaid...even Muzzin is several hundred thousand overpaid...that's $2 million of cap space right there...just keep squeezing guys out like Kapanen, Johnsson (though I think Dubas held onto him too long and should have traded him when his value was high), and now Hyman...is Rielly the next to be squeezed out?
I mean even if we had the capspace, I wouldnt give Hyman 6m+ on a long term deal.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
He's an overpayment waiting to happen.

I like him, but his upcoming contract will be of the type that bites his new team hard shortly

Love Hyman, but I dont think hes going to be worth the next contract.

He is starting to become injury prone, and was pretty horrible missing multiple chances in the playoffs.
Pretty much sums it up. Love the player, he is the type of player a team like ours should try and keep, but he's going to get overpaid. If the rumours are true of 6 million on a long term, I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot poll. Especially when you factor in his age, injury history, and regularly playing with Matthews and Marner.

CuuuJooo

May 28, 2021
Fare thee well, Hyman. I'd love for you to stay, but someone is giving you bad advice if you really turned down a $5 million deal. You are a third-liner, my friend.

Someone upthread mentioned the cautionary tale of Kyle Okposo, and YEP.

Reactions: supermann_98

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Well sorry to tell you but that we have 15-20 million is missing context.
How many players do you need for it?
If we strip down bare bones we are:

Need - Matthews. Marner
Need - Tavares - Nylander
Need - Need - Need
Need - Need - Need

Rielly - Brodie
Muzzin - Holl
Need - Need

Campbell
Need

60 million.
What you see there costs 60 million. 4 of them take 40 million.
Ok now you have your 20 million.
Welcome back to the Atlantic as well. We haven’t improved yet from a weak division.

Is it safe to assume Robertson gets called up and Spezza re-signed ? That's 1.5M. Mikheyev + Brooks will probably be back as well which is 2.375M. So we'd have 16M to fill out the rest AND also extend Rielly/Campbell.

XX - Matthews - Marner
XX - Tavares - Nylander
Robertson - Spezza - XX
Mikheyev - Brooks - XX

16M. Assume we extend Rielly at 7M that leaves us with 14M. Two top 6 LW, and two bottom 6 RW.

Or am I way off here.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad