Mirtle: End is near for Hyman in Toronto

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
I

m not sure if they can even afford to pay him that. Dubas is out of money

They could afford a 2.25m raise for Hyman.

It would mean they would have 15m to fill out the rest of the roster, assuming we lose Kerfoot to expansion to fill out:

6th D (1m)
2nd line winger (Could be chucky again)
3rd line winger
3rd line C
4th line winger
Backup goalie.

And this is without having Robertson / Anderson filling any roster spots.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
They could afford a 2.25m raise for Hyman.

It would mean they would have 15m to fill out the rest of the roster, assuming we lose Kerfoot to expansion to fill out:

6th D (1m)
2nd line winger (Could be chucky again)
3rd line winger
3rd line C
4th line winger
Backup goalie.

And this is without having Robertson / Anderson filling any roster spots.
I guess if most of those spots you mention are on league minimum contracts then maybe they could but the team will be worse then this year

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
I guess if most of those spots you mention are on league minimum contracts then maybe they could but the team will be worse then this year

I mean, a majority of the roster this year on the bottom 6 was league minimum, surely they can find better then Thorton / Simmonds this time around. Having Robertson playing 3rd line mins would be better then Jumbo and Simmonds.

In a ideal world, They would have 13m~ To fill out the rest of the roster like this (if Hyman took the 4.25m)

Hyman - Matthew - Marner
XXX - JT - Nylander
Robertson - xxx - xxx
Spezza - Engvall - Mikaev

6th D
Backup goalie

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
I mean, a majority of the roster this year on the bottom 6 was league minimum, surely they can find better then Thorton / Simmonds this time around. Having Robertson playing 3rd line mins would be better then Jumbo and Simmonds.

In a ideal world, They would have 13m~ To fill out the rest of the roster like this (if Hyman took the 4.25m)

Hyman - Matthew - Marner
XXX - JT - Nylander
Robertson - xxx - xxx
Spezza - Engvall - Mikaev

6th D
Backup goalie
Unfortunately going to the bargain bin for so much of your team is not the way to build a winner. Compound that with the fact that Matthews and Marner failed to show up in the post season…….Marner hasn’t shown up the last 3 years in the playoffs.
I admire you optimism but I just don’t have it in me lately to share it,
I was excited when Shanny started the Shanaplan but with the signing of Tavares Dubas tried to jump ahead and most of the things he has done since has just driven this team further down.
I have zero trust in him. If like you have proposed is going to happen I sure hope Dubas is not in control because we will be screwed even more

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Unfortunately going to the bargain bin for so much of your team is not the way to build a winner. Compound that with the fact that Matthews and Marner failed to show up in the post season…….Marner hasn’t shown up the last 3 years in the playoffs.
I admire you optimism but I just don’t have it in me lately to share it,
I was excited when Shanny started the Shanaplan but with the signing of Tavares Dubas tried to jump ahead and most of the things he has done since has just driven this team further down.
I have zero trust in him. If like you have proposed is going to happen I sure hope Dubas is not in control because we will be screwed even more

That's a fair criticism, I think the management team is thinking and hoping that our top players don't get shut down every single playoffs. I don't believe this is the right way to build a winner, that 11m from Tavares would be real helpful in building our 3rd line but I don't blame JT, hes played well for us in the blue and white and its been something all fans have been hoping for, a Toronto born superstar coming home to play for the blue and white.

In saying that, I think Dubas is willing to die on the hill of not trading the Core 4 and lose his job over it.

Screenshot - 7c9f24fcc00011272ef3089e70b063a8 - Gyazo < That would be the screenshot on how I imagine the off season going, not sure if I am way off on the UFA contracts signed. Its going to be tough to try to share the money around on the roster.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Saw this quote in another thread and asked the question I'm asking there, here:

Could you compare the playoffs stats as well?

Thanks.

How can you compare the playoff stats when the Leafs are 1 and done all the time? Most of the those NYI players are going to put up more stats in 1 playoff year, than most Leafs will have over 5 years.

Hyman plays on a line with Matthews and Marner and his linemates combined for 1 goal in 7 games so what are you expecting Hyman stats to look like, unless you're expecting the player making $2.25 mil to outproduce his $11 mil linemate to compare to those NYI?

I can tell you over the course of the last 2 regular season Hyman and Marner have scored the same 36 regular season goals only Hyman has scored more playoff goals as Mitch has zero.

I didn't do a Hyman to Pageau comparison, but I did do a direct comparison to Pageau to our Rocket trophy winner Matthews.

J.G. Pageau @ $5.0 mil AAV has played in 32 playoff games the last 2 years only since Lou Lam acquired him and he has 11 goals 13 assists and 24 points.
vs
Auston Matthews @ $11.6 AAV has played in 32 playoff games over 5 years since Lou Lam drafted him and he has 13 goals 11 assists and 24 points.

NYI 3rd line centre in just his last 2 playoff years has produced = #'s to Matthews his entire Leafs playoff career to date.

I can pick another NYI on that list in Josh Bailey at $5,000,000 AAV over the course of the last 2 playoffs only in 36 games has 8 goals 25 assists & 33 points way more than Matthews who has 24 playoff points career, or Marner that has 5 goals 25 points in their 32 playoff games over 5 playoff seasons and they both make $11 mil. Brock Nelson 16 goals 14 assists 30 points last 2 playoffs making $6 mil AAV. Eberle @ $5.5 mil has 8 goals 16 assists 24 playoff points.

Those NYI's on that list making $5 mil -$6 mil AAV aren't a comparison to Hyman, they actually outproduce our best players and most expensive players.

So I'm sure what your point you're trying to make to prove Hyman doesn't deserve a +$2.5-3 mil raise up to $5 mil because his regular season points which contracts are based on compares favourably to those NYI in that range.

Last edited:
Reactions: myleafs

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
How can you compare the playoff stats when the Leafs are 1 and done all the time? Most of the those NYI players are going to put up more stats in 1 playoff year, than most Leafs will have over 5 years.

Hyman plays on a line with Matthews and Marner and his linemates combined for 1 goal in 7 games so what are you expecting Hyman stats to look like, unless you're expecting the player making $2.25 mil to outproduce his $11 mil linemate to compare to those NYI?

I can tell you over the course of the last 2 regular season Hyman and Marner have scored the same 36 regular season goals only Hyman has scored more playoff goals as Mitch has zero.

I didn't do a Hyman to Pageau comparison, but I did do a direct comparison to Pageau to our Rocket trophy winner Matthews.

J.G. Pageau @ $5.0 mil AAV has played in 32 playoff games the last 2 years only since Lou Lam acquired him and he has 11 goals 13 assists and 24 points.
vs
Auston Matthews @ $11.6 AAV has played in 32 playoff games over 5 years since Lou Lam drafted him and he has 13 goals 11 assists and 24 points.

NYI 3rd line centre in just his last 2 playoff years has produced = #'s to Matthews his entire Leafs playoff career to date.

I can pick another NYI on that list in Josh Bailey at $5,000,000 AAV over the course of the last 2 playoffs only in 36 games has 8 goals 25 assists & 33 points way more than Matthews who has 24 playoff points career, or Marner that has 5 goals 25 points in their 32 playoff games over 5 playoff seasons and they both make $11 mil. Brock Nelson 16 goals 14 assists 30 points last 2 playoffs making $6 mil AAV. Eberle @ $5.5 mil has 8 goals 16 assists 24 playoff points.

Those NYI's on that list making $5 mil -$6 mil AAV aren't a comparison to Hyman, they actually outproduce our best players and most expensive players.

So I'm sure what your point you're trying to make to prove Hyman doesn't deserve a +$2.5-3 mil raise up to $5 mil because his regular season points which contracts are based on compares favourably to those NYI in that range.

Contracts are based on numbers and they're based on record advising projected value (ie TIME) and they're based on team need. What a team is willing to pay the player. Agents don't exclude playoffs performance. If you want to silo numbers, tell me what you think Marner's first two playoffs numbers yielded (Along with age, projected value, etc...) when coming to the negotiating table. You've repeated his last two seasons enough, what about his first two seasons? He was a ppg playoffs performer as a 20/21 year old.

At 30, what is Toronto paying for? What did the Islanders pay for in the players you've compared Hyman to? Were they turning 30? Were they the product of players like Matthews and Marner?

You can't use the same characteristics to suit one side of the argument and not another. You said, "Hyman plays on a line with Matthews and Marner and his linemates combined for 1 goal in 7 games so what are you expecting Hyman stats to look like."

Well...Spezza wasn't the product of Matthews and Marner. Neither was Nylander. Both Nylander and Spezza, without the vector playing with Matthews and Marner is supposed to provide in your example, scored more than Hyman. The expectation is, Zach Hyman proves his worth outside of Matthews and Marner or with Matthews and Marner, the way Nylander and Spezza did, or he's priced out of "on pace" seasons at the end of a season that is dependent upon -- as you note -- elite players like Matthews and Marner.

Even in your Pageau/Matthews comparison there's a note of certainty in the conclusion as if it proves the Hyman argument. It doesn't. It does the opposite. It says rightly, the value of any given player is determined by more than abstraction. I like Pageau, but there's only one Auston Matthews. Exclusivity has a price. There are prospectively cheaper options to Zach Hyman if the 6 year, 5.5/6M model is accurate. And I hope Toronto does the right thing and allow other clubs to entertain similarly opportunistic comparisons.

I mean, in the last two seasons, Hyman scored 70 regular season points. Marner scored a 134 points. Hyman's career total points is 185 points. Marner turned 24 a month ago. Hyman turns 30 in a couple of weeks. By the time Marner's 30, he could have almost 1000 points in the NHL. I don't see how there's a comparison, strict, abstract or otherwise in the models you're proposing.

Soon to be UFA, Mike Hoffman scored 46 goals over the last two seasons. A couple of questions: Is Mike Hoffman worth more in his next contract than Zach Hyman? If so, how much above $6M is Hoffman worth?

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Zach was so ineffective this year in the playoffs I'm torn.

He may have been injured again.

Maybe not.

regardless, Marner stole his cap money

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
CJ on the Zach Hyman situation and the likelihood of a return:
He is probably going to sign a six-year contract at a minimum. It could be seven somewhere else — I can’t say that won’t happen. I think it’s going to come in at $5.5-6 million on that deal as a free agent. You are looking at somewhere — with my rough math — between $30-36 million on a secure deal somewhere else. I think Leafs, for a whole host of reasons — predominantly the cap; it’s not about undervaluing or misvaluing or not appreciating what Zach Hyman has done — it sets up a tough spot for them.

They would probably want to pay him somewhere around $4.5 million if they can make that work. Let’s say they’ll give him the same six-year term for the purposes of the exercise. It takes you to $28 million. For Zach Hyman, the math could be anywhere between $8-10 million more on the contract as the difference between what the Leafs might pay him and what he can get in free agency on the open market.
At this stage of his career, after not cashing in prior to this — on relative terms, compared to what NHL players are paid — I think it is going to be too difficult to bridge that gap. Something could happen between now and the opening of free agency — maybe the Leafs make another trade, or things open up in their cap picture, but without that, I just think you are at a weird spot.
In a pre-cap world, probably Zach Hyman’s contract extension in Toronto is long since signed. You have to make these difficult decisions in a cap environment. Where it is trending right now, of course, is that he won’t be back with the Leafs.
https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2021...-rumours-zach-hyman-dougie-hamilton-and-more/

Reactions: Korg

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
I thought there was the possibility that Hyman wouldn't chase money because I think he's going straight into management after he retires. Being a winner on the ice would tee up a management career well.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
My outsider perspective is both that the Leafs need more players like that and that Hyman is going to be badly overpaid. If you're going to spend $5m+ on a winger then get someone better. I would suggest someone like Tyler Bertuzzi, who plays the same forechecking and netfront role but also has a lot more goal-scoring talent. Perhaps he will score more than Hyman's career high of 1 goal in the playoffs!

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
He is probably going to sign a six-year contract at a minimum. It could be seven somewhere else — I can’t say that won’t happen. I think it’s going to come in at $5.5-6 million on that deal as a free agent. You are looking at somewhere — with my rough math — between $30-36 million on a secure deal somewhere else. I think Leafs, for a whole host of reasons — predominantly the cap; it’s not about undervaluing or misvaluing or not appreciating what Zach Hyman has done — it sets up a tough spot for them.

They would probably want to pay him somewhere around $4.5 million if they can make that work. Let’s say they’ll give him the same six-year term for the purposes of the exercise. It takes you to $28 million. For Zach Hyman, the math could be anywhere between $8-10 million more on the contract as the difference between what the Leafs might pay him and what he can get in free agency on the open market.
At this stage of his career, after not cashing in prior to this — on relative terms, compared to what NHL players are paid — I think it is going to be too difficult to bridge that gap. Something could happen between now and the opening of free agency — maybe the Leafs make another trade, or things open up in their cap picture, but without that, I just think you are at a weird spot.
In a pre-cap world, probably Zach Hyman’s contract extension in Toronto is long since signed. You have to make these difficult decisions in a cap environment. Where it is trending right now, of course, is that he won’t be back with the Leafs.
https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2021...-rumours-zach-hyman-dougie-hamilton-and-more/

I'd balk at 6 million too, but this is what happens when you leave things to the last minute. If management got out ahead and re-signed him last summer, it probably would have been a deal starting with 4.

The team should change our collar slogan from Honour. Pride. Courage. To A day late and a dollar short. It would be much more representative of what they're all about.

Reactions: Lumberg

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
My outsider perspective is both that the Leafs need more players like that and that Hyman is going to be badly overpaid. If you're going to spend $5m+ on a winger then get someone better. I would suggest someone like Tyler Bertuzzi, who plays the same forechecking and netfront role but also has a lot more goal-scoring talent. Perhaps he will score more than Hyman's career high of 1 goal in the playoffs!

I'd love a guy like Bertuzzi, but I have no confidence in management going out and filling the obvious holes in the roster. They four years to find a cost-effective Hyman replacement and yet here we are weeks away from potentially having neither Hyman, not a replacement.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
5-5 to 6 m for Hey Man on a long term deal ? lol ok CJ

i hope i'm wrong but the more these guys rant about how Hyman's going to get absurd offers as a ufa the more i believe there just trying to set up re-signing him for high 4's x 8yrs as some type of discount

Last edited:
Reactions: ACC1224

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I'd love a guy like Bertuzzi, but I have no confidence in management going out and filling the obvious holes in the roster. They four years to find a cost-effective Hyman replacement and yet here we are weeks away from potentially having neither Hyman, not a replacement.
We already have a cheap Hyman replacement . Play Mik on our top line and just have him glue himself to the crease and whack in rebounds and have the puck bounce in off him like Hyman .

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Hyman either accepts a contract of more term with less cap hit to help the Leafs but still gets his money stretched out longer. Or he can go to another team.

If Im the Leafs I pay him money up front on long term deal which translates to a 4 million cap hit.

6 year deal:

Year 1 - 10 million signing bonus, 2.5 million base salary
Year 2-6 : 2.5 million base salary
= 4.16 million cap hit + No Trade Clause (Leaf for Life)

This helps him with money up front to invest as he and his family love to do. Still makes good money to play at home. Doesnt need to worry about being traded ever.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

It can be done at $4.5M AAV for 8 years with upfront $$$ .. overall $$$ roughly same .. and then buyout or trade last 3 years .. but with cash issues of Leafs right now do they want to use borrowed $$$?

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
We already have a cheap Hyman replacement . Play Mik on our top line and just have him glue himself to the crease and whack in rebounds and have the puck bounce in off him like Hyman .

Sure I can see 65 doing that :sarcasm: 65 and 47 and their cap hits need to be gone the same was the Goat disappeared. Stick boy could have traded for Bennett and he could have been Hyman's replacement. That ship has now sailed.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
5-5 to 6 m for Hey Man on a long term deal ? lol ok CJ

i hope i'm wrong but the more these guys rant about how Hyman's going to get absurd offers as a ufa the more i believe there just trying to set up re-signing him for high 4's x 8yrs as some type of discount
It has been known among TO hockey guys that Zach has 5.5M for 6-7 years from Oilers little birdie from sometime now .. da only issue left is does someone else offer more which is why CJ left open 5.5M to 6M .. if Leafs are to win it has to be front loaded 4.5M AAV for 8 years .. with no $$$ coming into Leaf coffers again for a 2nd straight year here in June when bank is supposed to happen da Leafs are gonna have a hard time getting over it ..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad