Mirtle: End is near for Hyman in Toronto

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Also development money can be deceptive since allot of the wealth is on the balance sheet. It’s still wealth but the value can be tied up. Zach doesn’t seem like a trust fund baby that is coasting and content. My guess is he will be motivated to optimize his well earned payday. There is also allot of professional pride in that next deal which could be his last big contract.

I know it counterintuitive but the richest people I know always go for the jugular and would be the last people on earth to leave a dime on the negotiating table.

Yeah, making money begets making more money, not less. You don't usually become wealthy by being content and complacent with your financial situation.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Leafs would be crazy to not re-sign him. Would love him on the habs but not sure if we could afford him

That's a great idea. The Habs should give him 6x6.

What a wonderful idea. Hope you guys get him.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Wherever Hyman lands I personally hope it’s in another division, last thing I want is him wrecking havoc on us.

Hyman isn’t wreaking havoc on anyone.

He’s on one good leg and about to be on the wrong side of 30.

I know there’s this love affair with his style in Toronto but he’s not that good. He holds the puck far too long and actually hurts the top two lines. I have roasted Marner a lot but he set up Hyman for at least 3-4 goals and Hyman couldn’t even convert one.

Ideally he’s a third liner you have for cheap. Anything more and you’re asking for trouble.

He excels at accumulating easy points as is pretty clear if you just watch where and when he picks up most of his goals and assists.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Hyman isn’t wreaking havoc on anyone.

He’s on one good leg and about to be on the wrong side of 30.

I know there’s this love affair with his style in Toronto but he’s not that good. He holds the puck far too long and actually hurts the top two lines. I have roasted Marner a lot but he set up Hyman for at least 3-4 goals and Hyman couldn’t even convert one.

Ideally he’s a third liner you have for cheap. Anything more and you’re asking for trouble.

He excels at accumulating easy points as is pretty clear if you just watch where and when he picks up most of his goals and assists.
Yeah, okay, this post won’t age any better than the guy who said Josh Anderson sucks, it’ll just take longer to prove......

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Yeah, okay, this post won’t age any better than the guy who said Josh Anderson sucks, it’ll just take longer to prove......

The same Josh Anderson that has 3 points in 14 playoff games?

I’m sure you think Marner is a playoff ghost right? Tell me how the superstar and second coming of Eric Lindros has 1 less point in 7 more games.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
The same Josh Anderson that has 3 points in 14 playoff games?

I’m sure you think Marner is a playoff ghost right? Tell me how the superstar and second coming of Eric Lindros has 1 less point in 7 more games.
He does more than put up points, AM/MM not so much. AND if your going to score goals, clutch goals are the ones you want to score. Hoping he proves you wrong tonight.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
He does more than put up points, AM/MM not so much. AND if your going to score goals, clutch goals are the ones you want to score. Hoping he proves you wrong tonight.

He literally has been a ghost for all but 2 games all playoffs. Why are you lying?

Hope for whatever you want. History suggest he’s much more likely to be invisible.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
He literally has been a ghost for all but 2 games all playoffs. Why are you lying?

Hope for whatever you want. History suggest he’s much more likely to be invisible.
Are you even watching the playoffs or just catching the highlight reel on TSN?

Reactions: LeafsRus

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Lol Islanders will get him and he'll win the cup

Hyman is going to fit right in with NYI structure and payscale.

NYI: 2020-21 Stats

Brock Nelson @ $6,000,000........................ 56 games 18 goals 15 assists 33 points
Jordan Eberle @ $5,500,000 .......................55 games 16 goals 17 assists 33 points
Josh Bailey @ $5,000,000 ............................ 54 games 8 goals 27 assists 35 points
Jean-Gabriel Pageau @ $5,000,000...... 54 games 14 goals 14 assists 28 points
vs
Zach Hyman @ $2,250,000 ........................ 43 games 15 goals 18 assists 33 points

Hyman on a Points/g basis produces more, but is comparable actual stats overall.

So its not hard to see the $5 -$6 mil ask and his agent can use when negotiating his new deal.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
Also development money can be deceptive since allot of the wealth is on the balance sheet. It’s still wealth but the value can be tied up. Zach doesn’t seem like a trust fund baby that is coasting and content. My guess is he will be motivated to optimize his well earned payday. There is also allot of professional pride in that next deal which could be his last big contract.

I know it counterintuitive but the richest people I know always go for the jugular and would be the last people on earth to leave a dime on the negotiating table.

I once had a conversation with a Rich customer when I was a teen. He told me that when you get older and acquire some money...you become cheaper. You know what its like to not have money and boy will you do whatever ever you can not to go back to that state. I can say for myself that it is kind of true. I don't buy myself stuff that I know I would have in my 20's with the money I made....So, thinking he will just roll over and sign cheaply is a mistake. It's going to be as much a business decision for Zach as it is for MLSE.

Reactions: ps241

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
I don’t think you understand what strawman means. If Marner’s family had that sort of wealth the narrative would be even more toxic around here but because it’s worker bee Hyman it’s irrelevant?

Money is not a concern for him or his family, yet he is pursuing a contract that will have the same anchor impact on the cap wherever he signs. I like the player, want him back, but he’s no different than the others in terms of greed. That same wealth is the only reason he’s made the NHL through the GTA system.
Hyman's family's money has nothing to do with the issue at hand, which is his expected NHL salary.

Strawman.

Reactions: keonsbitterness

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
He was responding to the poster that said Hyman's motives are based on needing to get all the money he can right now to be set for life. I don't see that as a strawman. It's completely apt and exactly what I thought when I read that as well. He really doesn't need the money.
So all NHL players should play for free if their family has money?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don’t think you understand what strawman means. If Marner’s family had that sort of wealth the narrative would be even more toxic around here but because it’s worker bee Hyman it’s irrelevant?

Money is not a concern for him or his family, yet he is pursuing a contract that will have the same anchor impact on the cap wherever he signs. I like the player, want him back, but he’s no different than the others in terms of greed. That same wealth is the only reason he’s made the NHL through the GTA system.

I don't think anyone would expect Hyman to take a massive discount from what he should be making as an NHLer because he can bankroll it with his generational family wealth. It's a little different compared to the Marner situation because that player took a fairly aggressive stance against the Leafs and extracted more dollars than he should have gotten.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
He's probably walking. I don't know how much endorsement money pays, probably not nearly enough to offset the difference in salary he could make elsewhere.

Could it however, be enough to satisfy him to stay home?

Regardless, at this point, I would shrug my shoulders at any player not named Matthews who moves on, by trade or otherwise. I've followed this team too long to continue to cheer for team mediocrity.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
He's probably walking. I don't know how much endorsement money pays, probably not nearly enough to offset the difference in salary he could make elsewhere.

Could it however, be enough to satisfy him to stay home?

Regardless, at this point, I would shrug my shoulders at any player not named Matthews who moves on, by trade or otherwise. I've followed this team too long to continue to cheer for team mediocrity.

If I were Hyman and the money was reasonable from the Leafs I would take it. My reasoning is business related. If he were to take around $4m and lost around 10M in salary...he would be making money off the Toronto market for the rest of his life if he stayed a Leaf and retired. He would make maybe $500,000 a year in endorsements for years into the future. If he actually wins a cup...then he can make $$$ forever in TO.

Reactions: Leafsfan74

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Hyman is going to fit right in with NYI structure and payscale.

NYI: 2020-21 Stats

Brock Nelson @ $6,000,000........................ 56 games 18 goals 15 assists 33 points
Jordan Eberle @ $5,500,000 .......................55 games 16 goals 17 assists 33 points
Josh Bailey @ $5,000,000 ............................ 54 games 8 goals 27 assists 35 points
Jean-Gabriel Pageau @ $5,000,000...... 54 games 14 goals 14 assists 28 points
vs
Zach Hyman @ $2,250,000 ........................ 43 games 15 goals 18 assists 33 points

Hyman on a Points/g basis produces more, but is comparable actual stats overall.

So its not hard to see the $5 -$6 mil ask and his agent can use when negotiating his new deal.

Saw this quote in another thread and asked the question I'm asking there, here:

Could you compare the playoffs stats as well?

Thanks.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
If I were Hyman and the money was reasonable from the Leafs I would take it. My reasoning is business related. If he were to take around $4m and lost around 10M in salary...he would be making money off the Toronto market for the rest of his life if he stayed a Leaf and retired. He would make maybe $500,000 a year in endorsements for years into the future. If he actually wins a cup...then he can make $$$ forever in TO.

That's that gamble he would have to decide on.

I read an article that he read the book "The Intelligent Investor" (by Warren Buffett's mentor). I've read it myself, it's a good, technical, value stock investors bible that those looking to invest long term would be wise to follow.

He has to think of playing in T.O as a long term investment with compound interest. He may not see it all today, but long term, his stock value will reach it's full potential. Moreso than elsewhere.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad