Speculation: Minor League Affiliates (Hershey Bears, SC Stingrays) - summer 2018 to summer 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
For a franchise with the 30th ranked farm system, we sure do have a lot of guys fighting for the last couple spots on the roster. And its a good roster.
The faults of the system are a lack of high-level talent, not that there's no borderline talent. There's plenty of 20-24 year olds in the system who can contend to be fringe players in the NHL, the concern is how few players they have in the system that proejct to be top 6 forwards or top 4 defensemen. At this point it's basically just Alexeyev, Gersich, and Johansen with outside chances of AJF or Bowey pulling it off. And I'm not even particularly sold that Johansen will be able to handle regular top 4 duty in the NHL, and it's realistic to think that Gersich could very well end up as more of an energy player/waterbug than a productive scorer.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I have no idea if we are 30th or not in prospects but there is zero chance our D prospects and goalie prospect aren't top five in that area.

That is not to say other teams don't have higher end prospect (Stars, Avs, Jets, Canucks, Sabres, Flyers) a lot of them do, but the most prospects, guys who "should" play in the NHL, yeah I'm on board with the Capitals.

I have done a lot of research on this.

Really good breakdown here: NHL farm system rankings: Best, worst prospect pipelines for 2018-19, from 1 to 31

Last edited:

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
The faults of the system are a lack of high-level talent, not that there's no borderline talent. There's plenty of 20-24 year olds in the system who can contend to be fringe players in the NHL, the concern is how few players they have in the system that proejct to be top 6 forwards or top 4 defensemen. At this point it's basically just Alexeyev, Gersich, and Johansen with outside chances of AJF or Bowey pulling it off. And I'm not even particularly sold that Johansen will be able to handle regular top 4 duty in the NHL, and it's realistic to think that Gersich could very well end up as more of an energy player/waterbug than a productive scorer.
Much of this I believe is due to the success of the Capitals over the last ten years and not faults of the farm system. Obviously it's resulted in them have lower round draft picks. They've only drafted three players (Forsberg at 11, Vrana at 13 and Wilson at 16) in the top 20 picks in the last decade and none in the top ten. Burakovsky was picked at 23, MOJO 24 and Kuzy at 26. Tough to find high level talent outside of the top 20.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Our D prospects aren't top five in that area. Not even close.

How do you mean? If we are going by who will play the most NHL games in their careers (which I am), I would put my money on the Caps D prospects being in the top five when all is said and done.

I've been through every teams top D prospects ending with this past draft and if the Caps aren't near the top let me know who is.

Impossible to know until 15-20 years down the road though.

Bieronymus Trotz

Sep 4, 2017
How do you mean? If we are going by who will play the most NHL games in their careers (which I am), I would put my money on the Caps D prospects being in the top five when all is said and done.
Johansen and Alexeyev are the only two safe-ish bets to stick in the NHL, and neither is exactly a top-tier prospect (maybe Alexeyev will show he's closer to one). Then there's Siegenthaler, and then a bunch of guys it'd be safer to bet against making it at all.

Reactions: Hivemind

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Johansen and Alexeyev are the only two safe-ish bets to stick in the NHL, and neither is exactly a top-tier prospect (maybe Alexeyev will show he's closer to one). Then there's Siegenthaler, and then a bunch of guys it'd be safer to bet against making it at all.

Well maybe they won't all make it with the Caps, especially if they sign old guys like Orpik ;) , but I think Siegenthaler, Hobbs, Johansen, Alexeyev, Geisser, Bindulis, and Lewington (when he moves on from the Caps may get a shot as a 7th D). And while I would have taken Addison, Fehervary has a decent shot if he gets stronger.

The Capitals center depth might be shit but they are set at D for the next 15 years if it plays out correctly, this includes the current crop of NHL D they have.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Every team's system has a Lewington, Bindulis, and a Geisser. Most of them don't pan out.

Washington's farm system right now is loaded with potential depth guys on defense. Having a bunch of them doesn't warrant them being a top-5 prospect group.

They don't have a true number one now and haven't since what, *Stevens? I'm happy with a bunch of 2/3's cause if they work together they can win. And Alexeyev and Johansen are not depth guys.

Next 15 years seems overly optimistic......

Yes. Carlson, Kempny, Orlov are 27/28, Bowey, Djoos under 25, everyone of the kids is under 22, so if half of them develop properly, yep.

p.s. A lot of you are afraid to dream. Dream people, dream. ;)

*Please dear god don't say Mike Green.

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
They don't have a true number one now and haven't since what, Stevens? I'm happy with a bunch of 2/3's cause if they work together they can win. And Alexeyev and Johansen are not depth guys.

Yes. Carlson, Kempny, Orlov are 27/28, Bowey, Djoos under 25, everyone of the kids is under 22, so if half of them develop properly, yep.

p.s. A lot of you are afraid to dream. Dream people, dream. ;)

2 of the 5 you listed aren’t even solidified as NHL mainstays yet and Kempny barely. Carlson is probably done in 8 years, so yeah 15 is way overoptimistic IMO.

few top pair options will be a problem eventually. I see nothing of that ilk in what we have coming up.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
2 of the 4 you listed aren’t even solidified as NHL mainstays yet and Kempny barely. Carlson is probably done in 8 years, so yeah 15 is way overoptimistic IMO.

Maybe I am saying this wrong. With the guys they have now and integrating the other guys as they develop. Sure maybe 15 years is a bit optimistic but I think my point should now be clear.

That actually is the plan when players are drafted right?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Maybe I am saying this wrong. With the guys they have now and integrating the other guys as they develop. Sure maybe 15 years is a bit optimistic but I think my point should now be clear.

That actually is the plan when players are drafted right?

I’d say they’re pretty good until 3-5 years from now when guys like Nisky, Orlov, and Kempny are all due new contracts. It’s a crapshoot beyond that until we see some more elite talent on D drafted or otherwise acquired.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
I think it's NHL or back to the KHL for Shumakov, similar to most of the big time KHL UFA signings we've seen the past few seasons
His agent claims if he's sent to the AHL he'll go and work his way to the NHL. I guess that could just be talk to get the contract but at least the possibility is there.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I’d say they’re pretty good until 3-5 years from now when guys like Nisky, Orlov, and Kempny are all due new contracts. It’s a crapshoot beyond that until we see some more elite talent on D drafted or otherwise acquired.

But, if two or three of the prospects pan out then you have them on ELC's still and it does work.

Caps aren't getting elite draft talent at their draft position and honestly after the top five to ten spots (depending on the year) it's all a crapshoot. No one is letting their young-ish top Dmen go anymore so that is a non-starter as well. And if they do the insane bidding war would make it counter-productive.

Draft well, develop well is hopefully the way going forward.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
But, if two or three of the prospects pan out then you have them on ELC's still and it does work.

Caps aren't getting elite draft talent at their draft position and honestly after the top five to ten spots (depending on the year) it's all a crapshoot. No one is letting their young-ish top Dmen go anymore so that is a non-starter as well. And if they do the insane bidding war would make it counter-productive.

Draft well, develop well is hopefully the way going forward.

Carlson and Green were both late picks. They could find the gems, but too many ifs beyond 4 years to claim them set IMO.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Carlson and Green were both late picks. They could find the gems, but too many ifs beyond 4 years to claim them set IMO.

Exactly my point. Both were late 1st's and neither was a true number one but ended up being, and are, talented, serviceable players and minute eaters. Caps have done well in the last three/four years finding these same type guys (I hope).

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Exactly my point. Both were late 1st's and neither was a true number one but ended up being, and are, talented, serviceable players and minute eaters. Caps have done well in the last three/four years finding these same type guys (I hope).

If your point is there are way too many unknowns to profess them set at D for the next 15 years, then you made it. ;)

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Lots of green between “garbage” and “set for the next 15 years”.

Your statement was not the first over the top one here and won’t be the last. :)

I feel fairly certain they’ll have to acquire at least a D contributor or 3 over the next 15 years from outside normal draft channels.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Lots of green between “garbage” and “set for the next 15 years”.

Your statement was not the first over the top one here and won’t be the last. :)

I feel fairly certain they’ll have to acquire at least a D contributor or 3 over the next 15 years from outside normal draft channels.
The same was true in the context of Carlson, Green, Orlov... They had to acquire Nisky, who until this year has been arguably their 1D, as well as Orpik and ultimately Kempny. I'm fine with this model, but yes, they will need to acquire through FA and trade as well.

Reactions: CapitalsCupFantasy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad