Speculation: Minor League Affiliates (Hershey Bears, SC Stingrays) - summer 2018 to summer 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania

Decent depth signing. If he doesn't make Hershey's roster he provides a top scorer for South Carolina. Ended up posting 7 points in 11 games for Cleveland at the conclusion of last season so there's some potential there

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA

Decent depth signing. If he doesn't make Hershey's roster he provides a top scorer for South Carolina. Ended up posting 7 points in 11 games for Cleveland at the conclusion of last season so there's some potential there

Oh hey I remember him, Mr Hockey. Now we've got two! (Ness). Interesting to see how he does considering he produced so well on a dreadfully bad team.

Reactions: hb12xchamps

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Prospect Showcase:

I am 90% sure that mentally and physically Lucas Johanson is ready to get some games in the NHL. But hey, Orpik is back. :thumbu:

Samsonov looked like straight dogshit. :(

Pred player dirty hit a Caps player and Alexeyev went right after him. He got worked a bit but I liked that a lot.

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
Prospect Showcase:
i am 90% sure that mentally and physically lucas johanson is ready to get some games in the nhl. but hey, orpik is back. :thumbu:

Samsonov looked like straight dog****. :(

Pred player dirty hit a Caps player and Alexeyev went right after him. He got worked a bit but I liked that a lot.
I don't think him playing top minutes in Hershey for this season will kill his development. He could still beat out Djoos and you don't really want kids to be sitting as the #7 D.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Prospect Showcase:

I am 90% sure that mentally and physically Lucas Johanson is ready to get some games in the NHL. But hey, Orpik is back. :thumbu:

Samsonov looked like straight dog****. :(

All Lujo has to do is make the team out of camp. It’s been done before. Otherwise, maybe he gets some callup duty for injuries....but whining about Orpik rings hollow......but hey Stanley Cup right?

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
All Lujo has to do is make the team out of camp. It’s been done before. Otherwise, maybe he gets some callup duty for injuries....but whining about Orpik rings hollow......but hey Stanley Cup right?

Last season is last season. Orpik was horrible, he is back, that is not whining that is fact.

Let's say LJ does come in and win a spot, who do you think he is winning that spot from cause it sure isn't gonna be Brooks Orpik. So then you set Djoos or Bowey or whoever back another year. It is just not smart developmentally.

It doesn't mean I hate the Capitals now I promise. ;)

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
It’s whining after the fact to be clear.

I’m more worried about fielding the best f***ing roster they can, not about a guy who we have plenty of time and no need to rush to develop.

Classic HF mentality Sam...youth before winning. Smh...

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I don't think him playing top minutes in Hershey for this season will kill his development. He could still beat out Djoos and you don't really want kids to be sitting as the #7 D.

I want Orpik to be the 7th D.

It’s whining after the fact to be clear.

I’m more worried about fielding the best ****ing roster they can, not about a guy who we have plenty of time and no need to rush to develop.

Classic HF mentality Sam...youth before winning. Smh...

The infusion of youth is what helped the Caps finally win a Cup, something I advocated forever, sort of following the Pens model.

Six players who could were eligible to win the Calder entering last season got playing time in the playoffs, three of them played at least 22 games in the playoffs. I'm not gonna look it up but I doubt any team had more.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Must have already forgotten who was out there defending when they won....

Plenty of time for youth to be infused if they win a roster spot. Until then no reason to pine for it....

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Must have already forgotten who was out there defending when they won....

Plenty of time for youth to be infused if they win a roster spot. Until then no reason to pine for it....
I agree. No need to rush our prospects. I could see Johansen or Hobbs getting a chance if there us an injury.

Holtbyisms

Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
I agree. No need to rush our prospects. I could see Johansen or Hobbs getting a chance if there us an injury.
I'd be shocked to see either lujo or Hobbs out there this year. If we have an injury bowey/djoos is playing and somebody is coming to sit shotgun in the booth. Chances are that's Ness. Why waste development time in the press box?

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I'd be shocked to see either lujo or Hobbs out there this year. If we have an injury bowey/djoos is playing and somebody is coming to sit shotgun in the booth. Chances are that's Ness. Why waste development time in the press box?
We have so many prospects on defence that I forgot Ness even existed. We have alot of depth on the left side. I think 2 or 3 of them could pass Djoos on the depth chart before long. The only right handed prospect we have is Hobbs. He could end up passing Bowey eventually on the depth chart. I like our defensive prospects. Johansen, Hobbs and Seigenhalter are probably a year or 2 away from making the big club. We also have Alexeyev. He likely won't be ready for 2 or 3 more years. Maybe we should deal one or two of those guys.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I will be so disappointed if Gersich doesn't make the team. Scored again and is just a notch above everyone else on the ice. So fast.

Watched the whole game this morning. I have no idea who the Bolts prospects were but the Caps kids skated them into the ground. So that was good. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Corby78

Holtbyisms

Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
We have so many prospects on defence that I forgot Ness even existed. We have alot of depth on the left side. I think 2 or 3 of them could pass Djoos on the depth chart before long. The only right handed prospect we have is Hobbs. He could end up passing Bowey eventually on the depth chart. I like our defensive prospects. Johansen, Hobbs and Seigenhalter are probably a year or 2 away from making the big club. We also have Alexeyev. He likely won't be ready for 2 or 3 more years. Maybe we should deal one or two of those guys.
Oh definitely in a couple years! I can see both Djoos and potentially Bowey becoming expandable(in a couple years) if he Bowey doesn't learn how to think a bit faster in the pro game. This is a sink or swim year for him I think. I say in 3 years we're going to be looking a very different and very young defense.

I will be so disappointed if Gersich doesn't make the team. Scored again and is just a notch above everyone else on the ice. So fast.

Watched the whole game this morning. I have no idea who the Bolts prospects were but the Caps kids skated them into the ground. So that was good. ;)
I really think a year of Gersich wrecking the AHL would be great for his development. I could see him leading this current Bears team in points. Suspect Shumakov takes his NHL spot.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Oh definitely in a couple years! I can see both Djoos and potentially Bowey becoming expandable(in a couple years) if he Bowey doesn't learn how to think a bit faster in the pro game. This is a sink or swim year for him I think. I say in 3 years we're going to be looking a very different and very young defense.

I really think a year of Gersich wrecking the AHL would be great for his development. I could see him leading this current Bears team in points. Suspect Shumakov takes his NHL spot.

Agree on both points.

Alexeyev won’t take more than two years to develop and Johanson, Hobbs, Seigenthaler are knocking on the door.

As to Gersich, I think the AHL with its more “goonish” behavior is not a good spot for a speedy skilled forward like him. That being said Shumakov will get a chance before Gersich, seems pretty obvious.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

I’m with you....it’s his first full Pro year. If Sugar Shane doesn’t win a roster spot outright, it’ll be just fine if he plays in Hershey with callup duty.

Reactions: Holtbyisms

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Fingers crossed on the developments of both Shumakov and Gersich. I'm envisioning/hoping that Shumakov makes the parent club this season. With the 2019 UFAs of Connolly, DSP, Dowd (still scratching my head on that signing) and Orpik, they'll be definitely some slots opening up for the likes of Gersich, AFJ and a Dman come this time next season.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
As to Gersich, I think the AHL with its more “goonish” behavior is not a good spot for a speedy skilled forward like him. That being said Shumakov will get a chance before Gersich, seems pretty obvious.
Apparently you haven't paid attention to the AHL then because the league is shifting more towards development with emphasis on speed and skill as opposed to the old school goon mentality. Fighting has been way down since the AHL adapted the suspensions for accumulated fighting majors. Other than Lewington, who led the league with 10 fighting majors, Hershey barely had anyone willing to drop the gloves on a nightly basis. Gone are the likes of Tom Sestito, Joel Rechlicz, etc. who are having their spots replaced by guys with speed who can kill penalties and be on a "shutdown" line.

Reactions: Holtbyisms

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Apparently you haven't paid attention to the AHL then because the league is shifting more towards development with emphasis on speed and skill as opposed to the old school goon mentality. Fighting has been way down since the AHL adapted the suspensions for accumulated fighting majors. Other than Lewington, who led the league with 10 fighting majors, Hershey barely had anyone willing to drop the gloves on a nightly basis. Gone are the likes of Tom Sestito, Joel Rechlicz, etc. who are having their spots replaced by guys with speed who can kill penalties and be on a "shutdown" line.

Last Bears game I went to, 2017, there were five fights, one in the first 30 seconds. I did hear about the rule change so hopefully it gets better.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Last Bears game I went to, 2017, there were five fights, one in the first 30 seconds. I did hear about the rule change so hopefully it gets better.
It's pretty much non-existent unless it's a guy like Lewington sticking up for his teammates. The scripted fights were basically done with as well. Guys now receive an additional penalty for fighting as soon as the puck is dropped. The rules really have abolished the need for having a "goon" on your team. Obviously having guys like a Liam O'Brien or Garrett Mitchell, who can fight if they're asked to, isn't a bad thing and seems to be more of the norm. There's going to be some goons in every league but the main goons are pretty much gone at this point in the AHL

Reactions: Sam Spade

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Watching the final game online and my god are our kids fast. Hobbs just scored a beauty by racing up the ice past two guys from his own end and receiving a pass from Axel that he tipped in. :amazed:

4-2 good guys after two periods.

Quick scouting report:
AJF is a burner but he fumbles the puck a lot, def a weakness right now.

Pinho drives a lot of the play, makes nice smart plays with the puck, decent center prospect I think.

Hobbs and Johanson are just good players, higher level than anyone else on D.

Which brings me to Alexeyev. This kid is just gonna be good, mark my words he will end being a steal at #31. I know there were injury concerns but he is so big, body is NHL ready, and he is very calm out there. He uses his size really well and "bodied" off a lot of plays without taking penalties. Walks the blueline well and gets his shots through. I will be following him closely this season in Red Deer.

#youcantteachspeed
#thankyouPredsTV

Last edited:

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Maybe Dowd starting in the NHL and all rookie guys starting in AHL will breed offensive juggernaught in Hershey.

Shumakov, Gersich, AJF and co could become a good group.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Maybe Dowd starting in the NHL and all rookie guys starting in AHL will breed offensive juggernaught in Hershey.

Shumakov, Gersich, AJF and co could become a good group.

I would add Pinho, he seems to make things happen when he has the puck.

I also saw Kannok-Leipert listed at 6'0, there is no way he is that big. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad