Speculation: Minor League Affiliates (Hershey Bears, SC Stingrays) - summer 2018 to summer 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Previous

Top 15 Prospects as of July 2019:
1) Ilya Samsonov - G, Hershey Bears (AHL) 2015 1st Round, 22nd OA
2) Alex Alexeyev - D, Red Deer Rebels (WHL) 2018 1st Round, 31st OA
3) Connor McMichael - C, London Knights (OHL) 2019 1st Round, 25th OA
4) Martin Fehervary - D, SV71 (SHL) 2018 2nd Round, 46th OA
5) Lucas Johansen - D, Hershey Bears (AHL) 2016 1st Round, 28th OA
6) Vitek Vanecek - G, Hershey Bears (AHL), 2014 2nd Round, #39 OA
7) Connor Hobbs - D, Hershey Bears (AHL), 2015 5th Round, #143 OA
8) Riley Sutter - RW, Everette Silvertips (WHL), 2018 3rd Round, #93 OA
9) Shane Gersich - LW, Hershey Bears (AHL), 2014 5th Round, #134 OA
10) Beck Malenstyn - LW, Hershey Bears (AHL), 2016 5th Round, #145 OA
11) Axel Jonsson Fjallby - LW, Djurgardens (SHL), 2016 5th Round, #147 OA
12) Garrett Pilon - C, Hershey Bears (AHL), 2016 3rd Round, #87 OA
13) Kody Clark - RW, Ottawa 67’s (OHL), 2018 2nd Round, #47 OA
14) Tobias Geisser - D, Hershey Bears (AHL), 2017 4th Round, #120 OA
15) Damien Riat - W, EHC Biel-Bienne (NLA), 2016 4th Round, #117 OA

Last edited:

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Hershey needs to add another scoring threat to stay in the conversation of playoff contention. As it stands, Bridgeport has surpassed them on paper and I won't be surprised to see Hershey fighting with Springfield for last place in the division

Tomppav

Aug 14, 2002
Tampere, Finland
More about Geisser. This article is published week later than the other one which said he'd be back in Switzerland summer 2019.

https://swisshockeynews.ch/index.ph...illard-will-all-be-in-north-america-this-week

Tobias Geisser will also be in North America, showcasing his skill in the Washington Capital's development camp. He signed a three-year, entry-level deal with the Stanley Cup champion back in March. He will, however, play in Switzerland in the upcoming season. Jonas Siegenthaler, who will start his second full season with the Caps' organization this autumn, will also participate in the camp.

On the other hand, he had one year left with his Swiss team EVZ, but at the moment you can't find his name from their roster list. Can't find any news about him leaving.

Interesting.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
It makes too much sense to allow Geisser one more season in Europe. There’s too many D prospects in Hershey as it stands and sending guys to the ECHL just because you have too many prospects there isn’t good for anyone’s development.

Reactions: Futures Passed

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania

Cross Joe Whitney off the board for another potential Hershey scorer. It's looking more and more like they are set with what they have. They might make some depth signings of a few fringe AHL/ECHL guys as injury insurance but that's probably it at this point

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I wonder if the plan is for Gersich to spend the season in Hershey as a scoring winger. I guess we'll see how training camp goes.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
I wonder if the plan is for Gersich to spend the season in Hershey as a scoring winger. I guess we'll see how training camp goes.
Definitely think thats the plan. Walker a Boyd stay in DC and Gersich goes to try and tear up the AHL for a year.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Yep. They want their prospects getting the top minutes and PP time. Gersich, AJF, Ikonen, Kammerer, maybe Pilon will likely be playing in the top 9 in Hershey. All in all the Caps have 7, new to the AHL, forward prospects coming over.

They don't want to sign guys that will take their top minutes.

Tomppav

Aug 14, 2002
Tampere, Finland
Here's Hershey's Summer Mailbag on Geisser.

Summer Mailbag: Lewington, Free Agents and More | NEWS | Hershey Bears Hockey

@TaylorWall21
Is Tobias Geisser jumping to NA next season? He'd add to an already crowded blueline in Hershey where there doesn't seem to be a lot of playing time to go around unless someone makes the Caps out of camp.

Elite Prospects has Geisser coming to North America, and I know he’s done some interviews that say the same. However, the Bears are not anticipating to have him next year based on their conversations with Washington. With a crowded, young blue line here, I imagine playing in Switzerland another year would be helpful to his development. I’m sure he will come to Capitals training camp, but as of now, I don’t anticipate him in Hershey in 2018-19.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
DhYkTqxW4AECAxc.jpg:large

Reactions: Maldini

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania

Not sure how I feel about this. Cashman had a developmental pedigree. Wellar's hire seem more of a PR type move IMO. He has been an assistant coach in the ECHL for a few seasons so I guess we'll see if he can help any of these young guys develop

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
The Devils signed Eric Tangradi, Teemu Pulkkinen signed in the KHL, and Ottawa signed Adam Tambellini. Not a lot left for Hershey if they want to sign a "scoring" winger to add depth. I was hoping for Tangradi but he's getting $300,000 guaranteed no matter where he plays next season.

Best available forwards:
Wayne Simpson - Struggled last year in Hershey under Mann but who knows how he'd fair in a new system
Tim Kennedy - Another former Bear. Small, but great playmaker that would be a top 6 center. Would allow Megna to move to the wing
Casey Bailey - Big winger who has hit the 20 goal mark before. Can also slot into the center position if need be
Tye McGinn - Strong, tough winger that has put up 20 goals in the AHL before. Has considerable NHL experience.
T.J Hensick - Another great playmaking center. Almost a PPG for his career in the AHL. Has over 100 NHL games on his resume. Would be a great vet to have around all the young center prospects in the system
Brendan Woods - Not a vet so that would be ideal. Son of former Bear/Cap coach Bob Woods. More of a bottom 6 type player and heart and soul type of guy. Garrett Mitchell 2.0 without the vet status.

Best available D:
LD
Phillip Samuelsson - Played every game for Charlotte last year and led the AHL with a +44. Decent puck mover who can be somewhat of an agitator. Surprised he's still unsigned
Duncan Siemens - Former #11 OA pick by Colorado. Stay at home D who isn't terrible with the puck. Split time between Colorado and Cleveland the past few seasons
Colby Robak - AHL journeyman and former All Star. Had a bit of a down year. Decent puck mover
Reid McNeil - Former WBS defenseman. Stay at home D who is big and tough to play against in his own zone

RD
Jamie McBain - A ton of experience at the NHL and AHL level. Two years removed from a 40 point season. Would be a good puck mover and great veteran presence to have around the kids
Brenden Kichton - AHL veteran and puck mover. Good for 25+ points and has a 48 point season under his belt. Another solid vet to have around
Frank Corrado - Not a ton to say here. Has AHL and NHL experience. Can produce at the AHL level but is most known for calling out the Leafs organization for not giving him playing time or sending him to the AHL. Injured for a lot of last season

I think they invite some AHL guys to camp to earn a contract and go from there. D isn't as much of an issue now that Orpik was re-signed. That means Lewington and Ness most likely start the year in Hershey unless they get claimed via waivers. I'd prefer they add a RD since they are deeper at LD

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I figure Hershey will have at least three of Boyd/Walker/Dowd/AJF/Gersich in the lineup intially since two at most will be 12/13Fs for the Caps barring injury/trade. It may be only one if the Caps sign a vet depth NHLer or maybe explore camp PTOs that earn a spot. That should help Hershey's forward depth and perhaps team speed if it's Walker/AJF/Gersich. The Caps could go with 14F but shouldn't for cap purposes...better to shave it down to 13 and revisit as needed.

I like McGinn as an option due to his versatility or maybe someone like Prince or Poirier that weren't given QOs but they do run the risk of too many bodies if they eventually do sign another NHLer.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania

Seems to be a good hire. Bears staff now rounded out for next season

HC: Spencer Carbery
AC, Forwards: Mike Eastwood
AC, Defense: Patrick Wellar
Goalie Coach: Alex Westlund

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Live hockey starting Thursday on NHLN starting with the World Junior Summer Showcase and then the Hlinka Tournament (now called the Hlinka Gretzky Cup).

Walfridsson is the only Caps player at the WJSS for Sweden. They get under way this evening in an apparently non-televised game against a split squad US team.

Reactions: calicapsfan

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017

Seems to be a good hire. Bears staff now rounded out for next season

HC: Spencer Carbery
AC, Forwards: Mike Eastwood
AC, Defense: Patrick Wellar
Goalie Coach: Alex Westlund

I like the Eastwood hire, a solid vet in his playing days, alot of experience and exposure to some good coaches, and good players. Smart move bringing him in.

Reactions: hb12xchamps
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->