Speculation: Minor League Affiliates (Hershey Bears, SC Stingrays) - summer 2018 to summer 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I’ve been saying move to international size ice for a while. And it honestly wouldn’t take that many seats, and the prices would all move back one. So you would lose a couple of the cheap seats.

Brian Burke did a nice segment on this the other day. He was saying the board of governers asked the Penguins in 2009 to retro fit their new rink so it could accommodate a switch to a "hybrid" bigger ice if needed, they would simply have to extend/install the systems under the ice for the cooling a few feet both ways They said no, so other new rinks like Vegas and Detroit, and Seattle, followed suit. It won't happen now because of the expense to tear up the ground and install the equipment.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
San Diego v. Bakersfield, game one last night ended at 4:20 of the FOURTH OVERTIME!!!

p.s. They play again tonight at 7pm p.s.t. ;)

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
One of the biggest reasons is losing Sgarbossa to injury the past two games. Losing your 1C the day of the game and having to bump a rookie (Pilon) up in the lineup against the best team in the AHL isn’t going to do you any favors. No offense to Pilon but he’s not at 1C AHL level yet.

I also hope that most of the college guys still aren’t available at the moment and Riley Sutter was told he wasn’t going to play when he signed his ATO. Snively proved in the games before the playoffs started that the kid can be a game breaker. Losing him was huge. You can’t tell me that they couldn’t work something out to help him at school and still be able to play games for the Bears. I also don’t see why they continue to play Joey Leach. He’s a serviceable AHL filler player when needed at best. He’s essential Orpik but at the ECHL level. Putting him out there against a fast team makes zero sense. I really am surprised that Nardella wasn’t given a game yet at all after the display he put on in the final two games. Hopefully he’s in the same boat as Snively and is finishing school

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
One of the biggest reasons is losing Sgarbossa to injury the past two games. Losing your 1C the day of the game and having to bump a rookie (Pilon) up in the lineup against the best team in the AHL isn’t going to do you any favors. No offense to Pilon but he’s not at 1C AHL level yet.

I also hope that most of the college guys still aren’t available at the moment and Riley Sutter was told he wasn’t going to play when he signed his ATO. Snively proved in the games before the playoffs started that the kid can be a game breaker. Losing him was huge. You can’t tell me that they couldn’t work something out to help him at school and still be able to play games for the Bears. I also don’t see why they continue to play Joey Leach. He’s a serviceable AHL filler player when needed at best. He’s essential Orpik but at the ECHL level. Putting him out there against a fast team makes zero sense. I really am surprised that Nardella wasn’t given a game yet at all after the display he put on in the final two games. Hopefully he’s in the same boat as Snively and is finishing school
Wait I'm confused. What happened with Snively.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I forgot I wanted to post this from the game the other night. Here is the check to the head that Malenstyn took that eventually was a 5 minute major. The refs, yet again, didn't call anything at first and huddled up and changed their minds and gave the guy a match penalty. I haven't seen any other discipline handed down for the hit.

racingmoose

Apr 11, 2016
Hope I'm wrong, but he struggled on NA ice and it will seem even smaller in the playoffs. Hershey will have a tough time replacing everything Malenstyn and Sgarbossa bring in their games. And Snively was showing he has good tools and great hockey sense. The hockey gods aren't with Hershey right now, but go BEARS.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Zach Fisch indicated on Twitter that he’s waiting for confirmation to see why Lewington was suspended and will share it on the broadcast this evening.

Also said Snively is still away at school. I’d suspect Snively would be back next week for the Bears if they survive the weekend but that’s just me speculating. Finals should be going on this week

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Lewington was suspended as a result of the Malenstyn hit. The refs ruled the play dead immediately due to the injury to Beck. After the whistle there was a scrum, during that scrum Lewington had stepped onto the ice for the shift change and the scrum continued toward the benches and he got involved in the scrum. That’s a no no.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Well that sucked. The Bears outplayed Charlotte the 1st and most of the 3rd period but end up losing 3-1. Hershey with 2-3 big time chances to take the lead that went just wide or were saved and Charlotte ends up taking the puck down the ice with 2 minutes left and scores. Total back breaker.

Hopefully they avoid the sweep tomorrow but losing a few offensive playmakers in Snively and Sgarbossa has definitely hindered them. Having to play ECHL guys in the bottom six isn’t helping them against the top team in the AHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad