Speculation: Minor League Affiliates (Hershey Bears, SC Stingrays) - summer 2018 to summer 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoCaps2004

Jun 26, 2014
Yep, 4 goal gaa is so great for one of the “best goalies” outside of the nhl
ok, maybe factor in other things? he's a 21 year old living outside of his birth country with probably not many huge support systems in hershey, pennsylvania. Also, he's playing on a completely new ice surface. And he's playing for a team that really isn't that great. And it has been literally 9 games. And he is just coming back from an injury.

GoCaps2004

Jun 26, 2014
Because he was always a project. I just thought at this point. IS would be making a name for himself.
Would I love to see Samsonov posting shutouts and having a .92 GAA? Sure! But writing him off for a slow start in the AHL, when it has literally been 9 games and he is clearly adjusting to many changes is so dumb.

Reactions: Maldini

SoulessGingerCapsFan

Jul 5, 2013
Would I love to see Samsonov posting shutouts and having a .92 GAA? Sure! But writing him off for a slow start in the AHL, when it has literally been 9 games and he is clearly adjusting to many changes is so dumb.
I agree. I just wish he had a little better numbers at this point. Almost every Hershey goalie in the last decade has had better play thus far

SoulessGingerCapsFan

Jul 5, 2013
Is there any position in sports where statwatching is more useless than goaltending in hockey?

I'll wait for the Hershey viewers to comment on Samsonov's play before making any judgement at all.
Fair point. It just looks like he is uncomfortable in his crease, so I don’t feel as confident in his abilities

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
Kölzig played 2 games with the Caps back in '89-90, 12 goals against in 120 minutes played. The next two seasons he split time between Baltimore (AHL) and Hampton Roads (ECHL), he turned out to be a pretty good goalie. Samsonov needs time, no need to rush the kid. If it's a cultural adjustment kind of thing, maybe find a russian AHL player that can help him and Hershey?

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
Ben Bishop was .897 in his first AHL season
Corey Crawford was .898 in his first AHL season
Marc-André Fleury was .901 in his first AHL season
Brian Elliott was .886 in his first AHL season
Tomas Vokoun was .902 in his first AHL season
Yevgeni Nabokov was .872 in his first AHL season
Devan Dubnyk was .855 in his first AHL season
Craig Anderson was .886 in his first AHL season
Olaf Kölzig was .889 in his first AHL season

Ilya Samsonov is .866 after 9 games

Shall we trade trade him for pucks already ?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Ben Bishop was .897 in his first AHL season
Corey Crawford was .898 in his first AHL season
Marc-André Fleury was .901 in his first AHL season
Brian Elliott was .886 in his first AHL season
Tomas Vokoun was .902 in his first AHL season
Yevgeni Nabokov was .872 in his first AHL season
Devan Dubnyk was .855 in his first AHL season
Craig Anderson was .886 in his first AHL season
Olaf Kölzig was .889 in his first AHL season

Ilya Samsonov is .866 after 9 games

Shall we trade trade him for pucks already ?

Boom.

racingmoose

Apr 11, 2016
Fair point. It just looks like he is uncomfortable in his crease, so I don’t feel as confident in his abilities

Samsonov needs some time in the AHL, like most goalies require. Hershey played very poorly to start the year which has an impact on the goalie stats. While he has left in some soft goals, he has shown tremendous tools. He appears relaxed in the net and has amazing side to side movement. After the season is complete, that will be a better time to judge how he's progressed. But seeing what he brings, it's obvious why he was rated so highly.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Yep, 4 goal gaa is so great for one of the “best goalies” outside of the nhl

This isn't atypical for goalies, especially those on medicore or bad AHL teams. @francaisvolantsparis beat me to the list of NHL success stories with subpar rookie AHL stats. But to provide a couple more recent examples, look at Thatcher Demko and Carter Hart. Demko had absolutely awful numbers his first couple months in the AHL, and even his later season improvements only brought his rookie AHL sv% to .907 after the season ended. Demko was considered the #1 goalie prospect in the world at the time. Carter Hart is currently sporting a 3.61GAA and .884sv% for Lehigh Valley, and was considered to be in competition with the Russian trio (Samsonov, Shestyorkin, Sorokin) to be the best goalie prospect in the world coming into this season.

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
Chase Priskie is quietly having a good season in Quinnipac - 2nd year as captain, 9g, 8a in 14 gp. Hard to say what will happen, given it's his senior year, but if the Caps deal from their defensive depth he might be a nice option to replenish the pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad