• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I have Rossi penciled in as the PP1 center, myself, as soon as he makes the team.

Kaprizov-Rossi-Boldy
Zuccarello-Addison

But I wouldn't be surprised if Evason prefers something like

Kaprizov-Ek-Zuccarello
Goligoski-Spurgeon

Foligno-Rossi-Boldy
Gaudreau-Dumba

Or something goofy like that
Rossi will have to prove himself in the NHL before he gets PP #1 TOI. Kap, Boldy, and zuccarello also play a similar(and at this point, better) game to him...he makes more sense to me on PP #2, especially because Rossi is mediocre on FO's. I'm fine with JEE or Hartman playing netfront. It would be a real slap in the face to Hartman if he was left completely off the PP after the season he had.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Rossi will have to prove himself in the NHL before he gets PP #1 TOI. Kap, Boldy, and zuccarello also play a similar(and at this point, better) game to him...he makes more sense to me on PP #2, especially because Rossi is mediocre on FO's.

I do understand the reasoning behind making him prove himself, I just don't love the idea of him playing on an island on our PP2. No one is going to look good there. Fiala couldn't make it happen. Boldy was like our top PP producer on PP1 when he first arrived, then he got moved to PP2 by himself and the production dried up. I want to see what Rossi can do right away with other talented players on a PP. To me, making it to the NHL is all the proof I need to put him with Kap and Boldy on the PP.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I will be very interested to see how Rossi looks in the fall. I won't be mad at all if he starts in Iowa, and someone like Chaffee or Shaw is called up. Want Rossi to have a head of steam coming into the NHL, and be game sharp. I do think that playing on a line with Boldy and Gaudreau is near ideal. Boldy and have proven semi- chemistry, Gaudreau can add speed, and defense. Boldy should be a bit bigger and stronger this year, allowing him to win some of the physical battles, but this will be more of a skilled line, not grinders. This line should also get some favorable matchups. Not sure if Rossi opr Gaudreau should play C. Long term i want Rossi to be a C for this team, and he plays the position well, but that line might be better having Gaudreau playing C.

Also hope that Rossi gets PP TOI... that is a place where he should do well.

Chaffee is my bet on the being this year's Duhaime out of camp.

I think Rossi ends up in the AHL for most of the season.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I am uncertain how they view Rossi. Guerin made some off handed remarks and he ended the season on the injured list. My concern is that Rossi ends up like Granlund. He'll top 40ish points as a center and have trouble adjusting before moving to wing.
Granlund put up 64pts as a center this past season.

Give him quality wings, he's a quality center.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
And that's fair. I think Ohgren and Rossi are hard to peg right now. This'll be Rossi's +2 season and he's quickly becoming a 'forgotten' prospect due to his quiet season last season. I mean, he didn't even get selected for the All Rookie Team in the AHL. Quinn also took home the honors. I want to see Rossi have a truly electric year in the AHL before moving him up to the S Tier. Like All-Star caliber or at least 60 points in the NHL.

As for Oghren, I've mainly read that he tops out as a middle 6 forward. I think he could move up to the A Tier if he shows that he can continue driving play.
I don't know why this narrative is being pushed.

Reactions: TaLoN

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
A lot of heads are going to explode in here if Gaudreau starts the season as the #2 center and Rossi starts the season in Iowa.

I don't think they are. I think most people here are wholly prepared for that exact scenario to unfold.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

Look at his season point total breakdowns. 29 5v5 points (the same 1.6 p/60 as Greenway), 28 ppp, 3 3v3 ot points, 3 EN points. RyJo centered PP1 and Granny was on the halfwall. He was also -9 (2nd worst FWD on the team).

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
I think Faber here. Then Ohgren, Peart, and Khusnutdinov.

Not sure ROR is in the top 5 for defensive prospects on this team, let alone for overall prospects. The elements that set him apart from his peers will not do the same at the NHL level and he needs to get his head on straight mentally if he’s going to be in a top 4 as he cannot take the type of penalties he currently does. I think he’s comfortably a 5 when he’s ready and don’t see a skill set to really build further past that.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Uh... what?!? Nothing "forgotten" about Rossi

Rossi was seen as one of the top prospects in the 2020 draft and that was reflected in the lists coming out at the time. He was seen as a franchise center and a 'can't miss' prospect that was NHL ready now. Unfortunately, he got Covid and that pushed back his development a lot. I mean he was supposedly the readiest NHL player outside of Lafreniere. There was even discussion if he was a top 5 draft prospect at the time.

Since then:

Quinn and Holtz both put up better numbers than Rossi in the AHL (PPG), Raymond had a fantastic first season in the NHL, so did Lundell, Stuetzle built upon his year last year, Jarvis had a pretty good season in the NHL as well as Mercer.

I think a lot more analysts have cooled on Rossi and his potential, and while yes, the Wild had to keep him in the AHL because of contract reasons, I think there were expecting a little more from Rossi. And when I say cool, I do think they see Rossi as a top 6 center, but there are questions surrounding his ceiling now and if he can be a franchise center.

Granlund put up 8 goals in his sophomore and third year in the NHL and had 41 and 39 points respectively. He had three seasons as a center in the Wild and it did not work. It wasn't until this season he broke out again as a center and not as a wing, but who knows if that's going to keep up. He also started off pretty hot and then cooled down considerably.

He had 19 points in November and 14 points in April. Outside those two months he was meh.
I don't know why this narrative is being pushed.

Because Rossi was seen as an All-World Talent that was NHL ready now.

He was 7th in total points as a rookie, but 10th in PPG. In terms of goals, he was tied for 14th. Assists he was 7th as well. As mentioned, I would have liked to see him in the top 5 for points.

More so, I feel like Rossi is more of a top 25 prospect now than a top 10 prospect in the NHL. That's part of playing your D+2 year in the A...

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Chaffee is my bet on the being this year's Duhaime out of camp.

I think Rossi ends up in the AHL for most of the season.
We’ll see. Chaffee is quite strong, but not that physical. He is more of a scoring winger. If he can change his game to being more of a grinder he might have a spot on the team. I don’t have high hopes for him. If he had Shaws mentality and aggression he’d be perfect.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I do understand the reasoning behind making him prove himself, I just don't love the idea of him playing on an island on our PP2. No one is going to look good there. Fiala couldn't make it happen. Boldy was like our top PP producer on PP1 when he first arrived, then he got moved to PP2 by himself and the production dried up. I want to see what Rossi can do right away with other talented players on a PP. To me, making it to the NHL is all the proof I need to put him with Kap and Boldy on the PP.
I wouldn’t mind having Kaprizov, Zuccarello, JEE, Spurgeon and Dumba on PP1, and a core of Addison, Boldy, Rossi on PP2… at least to start the year. Maybe double shift Kap like WAS does with Ovi.
I think we all are hoping that Rossi ends up in the PP1, but it will take time, or a Zucc injury.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I wouldn’t mind having Kaprizov, Zuccarello, JEE, Spurgeon and Dumba on PP1, and a core of Addison, Boldy, Rossi on PP2… at least to start the year. Maybe double shift Kap like WAS does with Ovi.
I think we all are hoping that Rossi ends up in the PP1, but it will take time, or a Zucc injury.

I actually wouldn't be mad at a Boldy-Rossi-Addison combo on PP2. Get those guys experience actually running the PP instead of just capitalizing on Kaprizov. Good point.

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Because Rossi was seen as an All-World Talent that was NHL ready now.

He was 7th in total points as a rookie, but 10th in PPG. In terms of goals, he was tied for 14th. Assists he was 7th as well. As mentioned, I would have liked to see him in the top 5 for points.

More so, I feel like Rossi is more of a top 25 prospect now than a top 10 prospect in the NHL. That's part of playing your D+2 year in the A...
And then something happened. He didn't get a D+1 year. Quinn did, Raymond did, Lundell did, etc... And he was still a PPG player through a good chunk of the season.

41 in 41 and then 12 in 22. What happened in those last 22 games, did he forget how to play? I'm betting not.

Last edited:
Reactions: AKL and TaLoN

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
And then something happened. He didn't get a D+1 year. Quinn did, Raymond did, Lundell did, etc... And he was still a PPG player through a good chunk of the season.

41 in 41 and then 12 in 22. What happened in those last 22 games, did he forget how to play? I betting not.

He was definitely battling some injuries for most of it

Reactions: 57special

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004

41 in 41 and then 12 in 22. What happened in those last 22 games, did he forget how to play? I betting not.
No one is faulting him for that; injuries and things happen. Fiala crashed into the board and that set him back quite a bit from his career. The problem is that fans are taking it personally instead of objectively. Rossi lost his D+1 year and lost a huge chunk of his development, which is why prospects are passing him.

He hit a wall last year and that's fine. He also was apparently dealing with an injury at the end there and that is something that I think is another concern is that Rossi is a bit undersized for a player.

I mean Gaborik was an electrifying player and one of the best in the world - when healthy. But a lot of questions come back to what if Gaborik was healthy? He wouldn't be seen as second tier to a lot of players, but his health played a lot in who Gaborik was and how he developed.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
We’ll see. Chaffee is quite strong, but not that physical. He is more of a scoring winger. If he can change his game to being more of a grinder he might have a spot on the team. I don’t have high hopes for him. If he had Shaws mentality and aggression he’d be perfect.
I feel like if Shaw has a really great off-season and takes that next step, he's going to force a difficult choice for the Wild in training camp. That kid is all fire and I love it.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

41 in 41 and then 12 in 22. What happened in those last 22 games, did he forget how to play? I'm betting not.

So 3 good months? Why does that seem familiar? :huh::huh:

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I actually wouldn't be mad at a Boldy-Rossi-Addison combo on PP2. Get those guys experience actually running the PP instead of just capitalizing on Kaprizov. Good point.
And they actually have played together on the PP, and looked pretty damn good when they did.

My main thing is that I don't want Rossi playing 4th line for more than a few games. He'd be better off playing 1st line/PP minutes in the AHL. The guy still has only played 70 odd games since being drafted, and has overcome a serious medical condition. A guy like Granlund played close to 200. Boldy, close to 90.

Last edited:

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I feel like if Shaw has a really great off-season and takes that next step, he's going to force a difficult choice for the Wild in training camp. That kid is all fire and I love it.
I like him too, and think he can be a 4th liner. Just not enough speed or skill to do much of anything else, though. His decision making is ok, but not great, either. For a guy like him his in game decisions have to be near perfect, because he doesn't have the edge with his physical characteristics. Dewar makes better decisions, has better speed, a better shot, and can play C...Shaw's temper gets the better of him at times.

ShortPeter6

Feb 8, 2022
I have Rossi penciled in as the PP1 center, myself, as soon as he makes the team.

Kaprizov-Rossi-Boldy
Zuccarello-Addison

But I wouldn't be surprised if Evason prefers something like

Kaprizov-Ek-Zuccarello
Goligoski-Spurgeon

Foligno-Rossi-Boldy
Gaudreau-Dumba

Or something goofy like that
If Goligoski is anywhere near the PP, I will lose my $hit. Should be Addison, Spurge and Brodin. Dumba if all else fails.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
actually could be quite effective.

Kap - Ek - Zucc
Dumba - Spurgeon

Kap - Rossi - Boldy
Brodin for safety if they are worried or Greenway for net front - Addison

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
actually could be quite effective.

Kap - Ek - Zucc
Dumba - Spurgeon

Kap - Rossi - Boldy
Brodin for safety if they are worried or Greenway for net front - Addison
Love the double shifting of Kap...maybe have him play shooter on the 2nd unit. I would consider hartman on there... he proved last year that he has a shooter's mentality, which is predictable, in a good way.

I am losing hope in a Greenway breaking out, but he is a load net front.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille