GDT: Minnesota Wild @ LA Kings GDT 4/4/13

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Why? He got limited shifts, but was our best forward sans the top line and it wasnt that close

Saying he was our best forward sans the top line doesn't mean much when the whole team played terribly.

I thought Granlund played okay, but I'm still more comfortable with Cullen as our 2C.

frozenriverrat77

Do Vu's New Voodoo
May 20, 2011
Chicago
This team is too good to not make the playoff...every team has funks from time to time...this is ours...glad it's now and not in the playoffs

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
I'm only going to panic if we lose to Columbus.

I'm pretty sure we are going to get smoked by Columbus. They are on their way up, and we are on our way down. And they got Gaborik to waive his NTC to go there. That should tell you something.

Waive and send down Prosser, call up Zucker, bench Bouchard, play Zucker with Seto - Seto needs a speedy linemate. Put Brodziak back on the 3rd line.

Parise-Koivu-Pominville
Zucker-Granlund-Seto
Clutterbuck-Brodziak-Coyle
Rupp-Konopka-Mitchell

Please, Hockey Gods, make Yeo use this lineup.

This team is too good to not make the playoff...every team has funks from time to time...this is ours...glad it's now and not in the playoffs

Thats what we said last year. First it was a couple bad games, then it was a funk, and then we become the first team to lead the NHL up to that point in the season and miss the playoffs completely.

We fell from 3rd to 6th place with this loss and other action tonight. There are 5 points between us and 9th place right now, and our margin of error is shrinking a lot faster than last years where it took us almost two months to fall out of the playoff picture after our skid started.

I am ****ing terrified right now, and I have been for several games.

And the worst part of this is last year we could blame the loss of Koivu and Bouchard on the skid, because those events all started at the same time.

This years skid started in the first Dallas game. The one that we actually won.

Two weeks ago we were hot **** rocketing through the NHL and blowing past everyone on the highway.

Now we are a cold, dead turd getting run over daily on a dusty gravel road.

If this does not turn around within about 2-3 games I think we're out, because we will have used up all of our margin for error.

OpRedDawn*

Granny had one shift where he was close and coulda had a goal. Other than, I saw him fall into the boards on his own in the offensive zone, and just get pushed around. Still looks a LONG ways away IMO

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
I'm pretty sure we are going to get smoked by Columbus. They are on their way up, and we are on our way down. And they got Gaborik to waive his NTC to go there. That should tell you something.

Thats what we said last year. First it was a couple bad games, then it was a funk, and then we become the first team to lead the NHL up to that point in the season and miss the playoffs completely.

We fell from 3rd to 6th place with this loss and other action tonight. There are 5 points between us and 9th place right now, and our margin of error is shrinking a lot faster than last years where it took us almost two months to fall out of the playoff picture after our skid started.

And the worst part of this is last year we could blame the loss of Koivu and Bouchard on the skid, because those events all started at the same time.

Two weeks ago we were hot **** rocketing through the NHL and blowing past everyone on the highway.

If this does not turn around within about 2-3 games I think we're out, because we will have used up all of our margin for error.

You all need to take a little chill pill and hop off the emotions. Jesus people. It's either were the best team out there and the party won't stop and all this crap or the sky is falling.

This losing steak is a perfect storm of a plethora of different things. Some the Wild can control but most things the a Wild can't control.

We will rest up and be a whole new team.

8 games in 13 days. 2 of the losses were against teams playing once or twice in 5 or 6 days. A third was against a Dallas team that got to sit at home while we played them, traveled, traveled back, and played them again.

Some bad puck luck, some teams capitalizing on a ridiculous percentage of chances, unlucky officiating, and guys starting to think they were a little better than they are...what does that= a losing streak.

Is it the end of the world? No.

But you'd be crazy to think that the Wild will continue to allow 2 goals a game within the first 10 min.

It's a lot harder to play with energy after having it sucked out of you like that.

Stay the course. There are highs and lows to a hockey season. Breathe in...breathe out.

Hey, there we even a few positives to be taken from this game.

Look, we limited them to 14 shots!

Hey...the first line dominated. DOMINATED.

Granlund/Coyle combo looked really really good.

Cullen is another day healthier.

The Wild had so many scoring chances today. They couldn't finish. It happens. Combine that with having to fight back from a 2-0 lead. The guys worked hard.

It will be okay. The sky is not falling.

10 days from now if things haven't changed...panic. Now...no.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
Granny had one shift where he was close and coulda had a goal. Other than, I saw him fall into the boards on his own in the offensive zone, and just get pushed around. Still looks a LONG ways away IMO

You're wrong. He had 3-4 takeaways and won numerous board battles. He got pushed over once. So who freaking cares. Could got knocked down right after. Granlunds going to those areas and was successful more than not. Every hockey player gets knocked down in the corners.

This is exactly the type of thing I hate about these boards. Everyone amplifies, singles out, and overblows a players mistake.

This is the game of hockey. It's literally a game of failures and overcoming your failures.

If you're going to the dirty areas, which is what you want a player to do generally, you are going to get knocked on your ass semi-regularily if you go there often. So what??? To be successful you need to be willing to get knocked on your ass. You'll win battles more often than not if youre willing to be that aggressive. Every player gets knocked down. Coyle falls down behind the net all the time, yet he's one of our better boards players. Koivu falls. Hell, Parise falls.

In the game of hockey sometimes you are going to get knocked onto your ass. Does that mean you are weak? No. Does that mean you aren't physically strong enough to succeed? No.

Sometimes I feel there is no logic on this board. People need to wean off the emotions a bit and just think and analyze level headedly.

Last edited:

OpRedDawn*

Ugh, I was pretty level headed. It didnt seem like he had the puck for more than 1 second at a time.

Only thing I liked was the first line with their zone. They had a few blind passes to the slot which will hopefully be on target when they know where each other are going to be

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
leaving-now-grandpa-simpsons.gif

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
The team doesn't just look tired, the team looks stupid and brain dead.

And that goes from the coach all the way on down. I have no idea why Yeo had Stoner in the lineup. I have no idea what Yeo was thinking starting Backstrom. Everyone in the lineup except the Captain line and Granlund looked like they had no idea what they were doing.

And keep in mind here that I only watched probably about half of the game! In the 2nd I went and whipped up my current avatar, and for most of the third I was playing Sim City and just listening, but it really sounds like that was the whole damned game.

This team is a wreck and it needs more than just a few days rest.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

At NO POINT last year did anyone say "This team is too good to miss the playoffs". That team was overachieving and we all knew it.

Haite

x
Jun 27, 2011
The ****. This was Minnesotas 5th game in 7 days. o_O

Not only that, but also both of our games against LA were second games of back-to-backs for us, yet not for them. Excuses aside, things like that factor in and should be acknowledged. And yes, every other team has to deal with same kind of issues at some point of the season, but it's not like we didn't have a 7-game winning streak to give us a little breathing room. The team does need to step it up, but for now there's no reason to assume it couldn't.

Having a look at our schedule, luckily we have a relatively easy rest of the season:

- 6 out of 11 at home
- 7 games against Calgary (2), Columbus (2), Colorado (1) and Edmonton (2)
- 3 out of the 4 harder games against tougher teams are at home (CHI, LA and STL, one against SJ is away)
- We have two back-to-backs left, but they're CGY->EDM and EDM->COL

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il

But we have been that cold, dead turd for long enough now, that something new is going to start sprouting out of it:nod:

We started from a nice old, cold, dead, hard, forgotten turd earlier in the year as well;)

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Just wanted to pop in and say you guys have a great team and not to worry. The Kings had a brutal March with 17 games in 30 days, 3 games in 4 nights in all four weeks, and absolutely lost games due to the schedule and the schedule alone. It is what it is.

I also haven't seen the Kopitar line hemmed in their own zone by ANY line over the past couple of years, and Parise-Koivu-Pominville did just that on two shifts tonight. The Kopitar line plays against every team's top line and has dominated the best of them, so that's really saying something. Very impressed. Good luck going forward.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I didn't get to watch the game as I thought drinking would be a better use of my time. Reading Russo and this thread though, I'd really like to see that :40 shift by PKP that he talked about.

INTOTHEVOID

Go right.
Jul 9, 2012
Minnesota
...So, it looks like it wasn't worth watching.

Not at all really.

I'm normally the kind of person that will watch the WHOLE game 'no matter what' but this one I just lost all interest, I found myself browsing the internet on my ipad for a solid 30 minutes of the game.

Joona

Feb 21, 2013
Haha, tried to wake up middle of the night/morning to watch the match but instantly when i got up and started to watch the game i just passed out. Seems like i clearly didn't miss anything :|

jedisports

Jul 4, 2012
The team doesn't just look tired, the team looks stupid and brain dead.

And that goes from the coach all the way on down. I have no idea why Yeo had Stoner in the lineup. I have no idea what Yeo was thinking starting Backstrom. Everyone in the lineup except the Captain line and Granlund looked like they had no idea what they were doing.

And keep in mind here that I only watched probably about half of the game! In the 2nd I went and whipped up my current avatar, and for most of the third I was playing Sim City and just listening, but it really sounds like that was the whole damned game.

This team is a wreck and it needs more than just a few days rest.

I agree with your every word, and love your avatar change. LOL

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN

Indeed.

I have to say, I'm actually shocked full blown panic mode didn't hit a game or two ago. But much like death & taxes, the other guarantee you can make is Wild fans jumping ship like rats off a burning garbage barge.

Blakkmantis

Old Time Hockey EH!
Jul 6, 2010
Duluth, Minnesota
I seen a bit more life in our boys vs the Kings last night than I've seen in recent previous games. Back's giving up 2 goals on the first 2 shots he faced really put us in a hole from the get go. When our team is already frazzled from such a brutal stretch of games in such a short period of time, we didn't need to find ourselves down two goals in the first 3 minutes AGAIN!

At the beginning of the season this part of the schedule was targeted as the "OH ***" stretch of the season we were expecting to have troubles with. We have been blessed this season until now with very little injuries also, which have to be considered. I am not ready to hit the panic button.... yet. But I am being realistic. The remainder of the season is going to be a real nail biter. I do think this team will reach the playoffs however, at a 7 or 8 seed would be my guess. Once we get in, anything can happen, and we should have Cullen and Heater back by then also.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
The thing I'm worried about with Cullen is will he be the same Cullen who has been busting his ass and playing like he's in his mid-20s instead of the 36 year old he is?

And the thing I'm worried about with Heater is if he comes back and the lineup has fully gelled and is on fire, will Yeo have the cahones to let him wait on the bench until he is actually needed? Then again if he comes back while were still a mess, well..whatever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad