GDT: Minnesota Wild @ LA Kings GDT 4/4/13

J22*

1. We have a better record when Prosser is playing. Think Russo said we have only lost 4 games when he's on D. And why would it break up the top line? It hasn't before unless Yeo has gotten desperate and split them in hopes of bringing the level of D up a notch....which it never does.

2. Totally disagree with that. Put Gilbert/Falk and Spurgeon/Clark and I think we upgraded hand over fist than when Stoner is out there.

3. He was terrible at the start of the year. At least Falk has shown some more sense on the ice. I watch the D with a critical eyes over any other position because like many, I knew it would be our weak spot. Stoner has been the worst one we've had out there this year.

1. Talon already covered it, but for the guys that still cant get it through their heads. Right handed Dmen hardly ever play the left side, it just doesnt happen. Unless you move Brodin apart from Suter, only 2 of Spurgeon, Gilbert, Prosser can play.

2. What Dman was it that got caught deep on the first kings goal? Who was it that allowed the pass right through him on the 2nd one?
Clark brings some things that Stoner cant, and I wouldnt be against him playing over Stoner right now, but like I said I dont see a clear upgrade.

3. If you were watching the D closely at the beginning of the year, and didnt think that Stoner was outplaying guys like Falk, Prosser, and Spurgeon, then I just dont know what to say.

edit- As for the record with Prosser playing. How many of those games that Prosser won for us were games that Prosser played for Stoner?

Jarick

Doing Nothing
There's just been such a dropoff in the play of so many defensemen since early in the season. Gilbert and Spurgeon especially haven't been nearly as good as they were at the start of the year or last year in Spurgeon's case. Hurts.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
They're tired. It's not an excuse but they are.
Tough run still ahead.

I'm happy if they go to playoffs and play as well as they can. Gain some playoff experience.. I always thought that next season (2013-2014) will be The Season. A peak. And my opinion hasn't changed during this season.

frozenriverrat77

Do Vu's New Voodoo
May 20, 2011
Chicago
I'm amazed at how bad Yeo's decision making is when it comes to which goalie gets the start. I, a random poster on a hockey chat website, make better decisions than him in that area.

1. Backstrom is almost always bad when starting a 2nd night in a row
2. Backstrom is bad in the following buildings:

Chicago
Dallas
Detroit
Los Angeles
Vancouver (with our win there this season being the exception)

you don't think there's a chance it has nothing to do with the building but the quality of team the wild are playing? In these games wouldn't you rather have your number 1 goalie going?

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I agree that it was a bad move to start Backstrom on both nights of a back to back.

THEALLKNOWING*

Backstrom is 35 years old, that ought to tell you something. He is slower than molasses side to side, and getting up off his butt. Add on top of that the schedule, and he shouldnt be playing as much. Poor managing of his minutes by the coaches.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Backstrom is 35 years old, that ought to tell you something. He is slower than molasses side to side, and getting up off his butt. Add on top of that the schedule, and he shouldnt be playing as much. Poor managing of his minutes by the coaches.

Not really. We don't have a capable backup at this point and Yeo isn't going to trust a rookie during this stretch of games given how important each one is. We didn't know going into the season Harding would have MS and that Hackett would have a mini-slump.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
Keumper has shown himself to be a strong goalie prospect, and he has played reasonably well in the games he has been given.

It's also true that they are riding Backs really hard in this condensed season.

Overall Backs has done better than many of us have expected, but he has shown signs of being worn down a few times, and rightfully so.

It sucks, but to keep a better balance and health of players, you have to rest them now and then.

I think it's fair to question the workload that is expected of Backs.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
True...but Kuemper made Hackett redundant.

Actually, it was the fact that we have both Kuemper and Gustafsson that ultimately forced Hackett out the door. Gustafsson is coming over to North America next season, with Backs likely getting re-signed, and I'm not as convinced as others that Harding is out the door, Hackett had no place left inside the organization.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad