Minnesota Wild General Discussion XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Probably 0.000567%.

No one has the balls to tell Dubnyk he's done.
I think the rest of the NHL has done a pretty good job of telling him exactly that over the past 2 years. Just need someone with the Wild to figure it out now.

Sarge58

Jan 25, 2014
Probably 0.000567%.

No one has the balls to tell Dubnyk he's done.

If Evason or Guerin don't have the balls to do so then Evason should be one and done, and I'm sorry but if Guerin can't then he shouldn't have the title of GM (yet or ever). He's worthless if he can't/doesn't.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2Pair

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I don't agree with ever telling a player that they're done. It's a big blow to morale and can have affects across the locker room. No point in sending that message. Keep both goalies intensity up and keep them pushing each other. The message is better sent in the offseason. That way, you let him decide what he will with the information. If you can move him/come to a mutual termination, great. Otherwise, buy him out.

Sarge58

Jan 25, 2014
I don't agree with ever telling a player that they're done. It's a big blow to morale and can have affects across the locker room. No point in sending that message. Keep both goalies intensity up and keep them pushing each other. The message is better sent in the offseason. That way, you let him decide what he will with the information. If you can move him/come to a mutual termination, great. Otherwise, buy him out.

I agree with waiting until the offseason, but they both have tough jobs which include tough decisions. If your team is losing because you're afraid of telling a player that we can't use you on our team anymore then you will also be eliminated from your job.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I think the rest of the NHL has done a pretty good job of telling him exactly that over the past 2 years. Just need someone with the Wild to figure it out now.
I'm sure you've read his quotes... Obviously have gotten that message yet.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

This isn't friggen squirts. Every single player in the Wild wants to win, and has eyes that tell them Dubnyk is done.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I agree with waiting until the offseason, but they both have tough jobs which include tough decisions. If your team is losing because you're afraid of telling a player that we can't use you on our team anymore then you will also be eliminated from your job.
You can not use a player and without closing the door to them completely. You tell Dubnyk where he is on the depth chart, "Hey Dubie, right now we've got Al and Kaapo slotted ahead of you, but if things turn south or Injuries happen I need you to be ready to step in"

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
If Evason or Guerin don't have the balls to do so then Evason should be one and done, and I'm sorry but if Guerin can't then he shouldn't have the title of GM (yet or ever). He's worthless if he can't/doesn't.
Guerin just watched an entire season of Dubnyk/Stalock destroying the Wild season and did nothing about it.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I'm sure you've read his quotes... Obviously have gotten that message yet.
True. Dubnyk has never given up a goal that wasn't someone else's fault, or just lucky. My favorite Dubnyk quotes are when he says something like " Sure I gave up 6 goals, but I felt like I played them all really well"

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
True. Dubnyk has never given up a goal that wasn't someone else's fault, or just lucky. My favorite Dubnyk quotes are when he says something like " Sure I gave up 6 goals, but I felt like I played them all really well"

Cracked up when Lapanta described Dubnyk as playing well the other day just as the highlight reel prior to commercial cut to him juggling a puck and almost tossing it into his own net.

Don't trust either one of these guys. Stalock cheats and gives up too many rebounds, Dubnyk can't stop long-range shots. One could get hot, but ... can't really wait til Game Three to try the guy who just plays solid positional goaltending.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
Dubnyk especially can’t stop shots he already kinda stopped. Pretty sure he was meant to undergo some Ludovico technique with reels of his awfulness but he sat on the goddamn contraption and accidentally goatse’d himself.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
So if this was Koivu's last game, do you guys think the Wild will retire #9?

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
Woke up to the realization that Zucarello is signed for another 5 seasons and Brodin is signed for one.

6614e69cbd714e8813db209f320b8685.gif

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I'm curious as to why.

Don't get me wrong, I think he was a really good player for us and was probably under appreciated by those that say that we've never had a 1st line center. But some organizations retire the the numbers of Cup champions, MVPs and HOFers; we'd be retiring a one time Selke nominee.

Whatever the next level down from jersey retirement is, honor him that way. Start a Ring of Honor and make him the first honoree.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Don't get me wrong, I think he was a really good player for us and was probably under appreciated by those that say that we've never had a 1st line center.

I think he was a good player, and if he had stayed healthy earlier in his career, would have been an great player, bordering on elite.

However, he was barely a 1st line center, a good 2nd line center and a great 3rd line center. He scored more than 70 points once in his career, more than 60 points twice, and his career high for goals in a season is matched by Kyle Brodziak. He had a small chunk of time between 2008-2011 where he looked like he was breaking out as a first line center, but could never seem to get over that hump.

But some organizations retire the the numbers of Cup champions, MVPs and HOFers; we'd be retiring a one time Selke nominee.

Don't discount (for now) that he also played his entire career in Minnesota, which is no small feat (especially over 1,000 games).

Whatever the next level down from jersey retirement is, honor him that way. Start a Ring of Honor and make him the first honoree.

Minnesota Wild Hall of Fame?

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
Don't get me wrong, I think he was a really good player for us and was probably under appreciated by those that say that we've never had a 1st line center. But some organizations retire the the numbers of Cup champions, MVPs and HOFers; we'd be retiring a one time Selke nominee.

Can't help but agree with this.

Retiring #9 seems like such a weak thing to do. He was a good player for many years but ultimately was nothing special. I don't want to turn into the Coyotes and retire jerseys just because that person played for a long time.

Montreal didn't retire Saku's number and he's got a WAY better case for it than Mikko does.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I think he was a good player, and if he had stayed healthy earlier in his career, would have been an great player, bordering on elite.

However, he was barely a 1st line center, a good 2nd line center and a great 3rd line center. He scored more than 70 points once in his career, more than 60 points twice, and his career high for goals in a season is matched by Kyle Brodziak. He had a small chunk of time between 2008-2011 where he looked like he was breaking out as a first line center, but could never seem to get over that hump.

Don't discount (for now) that he also played his entire career in Minnesota, which is no small feat (especially over 1,000 games).

Minnesota Wild Hall of Fame?

And this is what I meant by under appreciated.

He has a 6 year run in his prime where he is basically top 20 in the NHL in both points and points per game amongst centers. His defense probably jumps him up 5 spots ahead of guys that are barely ahead of him production-wise. Even bringing up the words "3rd line center" is a massive insult.

Last edited:
Reactions: maxxum11 and 2Pair

Wildfan82

Oct 19, 2019
I’m not familiar with the NHL salary cap, but is there anyway the Wild can get out from of some of the terrible contracts on the team? How does releasing players work in the NHL? Would trading say Dumba with one of the players below for a little less in return be a possibility?

Zuccarelo
Parise
Rask
Dubnyk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad