Minnesota Wild General Discussion XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Koivu and Foligno looked good in the scrimmage, as did Suter and Spurgeon. Otherwise very scrambly. KK looked good...Addison, too.

The Geeks looked out of sorts, but that's partly because of JEE going out, and partly that they don't want to play their physical style against teammates. I do wonder if they might not stick with The Staal, Greenway, Fiala line. they looked great.

Oh, Donato looked good, and Galchenyuk almost good. Those guys are not physical or great defensively, so they have to be adding some offense to get significant playing time. I'm not a Donato fan, but I like his aggressive attitude towards attacking the net and shooting.

Zuccarello isn't very effective if he isn't playing with better players. He's a facilitator...he might match up well with Parise, but who know who the C should be.
Did you seriously just say that Zuccarello might be a good fit with Parise? Did you watch any games at all this season?

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Kind of feel bad for Sam Anas. He's done pretty much all he can to prove he deserves a chance, and they're probably taking Rau with instead of him? That's rough. I'm not saying Anas is going to make the Wild better, or that he's even a 4th line NHL player, but you never know until you actually try it.

Not that he's in the Wild's plans anyway, but there's no way he'd re-sign with the Wild at this point. He's going to have to try to get a chance elsewhere.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
4 goalies is a no-brainer. Menell was quite a bit better than Addison in the 2 scrimmages. Belpedio looked a little rough in the 1st scrimmage but I thought he was better than both Menell and Addison in the 2nd scrimmage. Bartkowski is only going because he is left handed. Mayhew Sturm, and Johnson are the only forwards worth bringing.
Rau is the ultimate head scratcher.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If Bartkowski actually sees playing time at any point, we're already done.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Did you seriously just say that Zuccarello might be a good fit with Parise? Did you watch any games at all this season?

I think Kaprizov will be a perfect linemate for Zuccarello next season. Parise with Fiala...good balance.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Kind of feel bad for Sam Anas. He's done pretty much all he can to prove he deserves a chance, and they're probably taking Rau with instead of him? That's rough. I'm not saying Anas is going to make the Wild better, or that he's even a 4th line NHL player, but you never know until you actually try it.

Not that he's in the Wild's plans anyway, but there's no way he'd re-sign with the Wild at this point. He's going to have to try to get a chance elsewhere.
Rau is the ultimate head scratcher.
I think Rau is just what's left.

I mean there were always going to be guys taken that shouldn't be playing in the NHL. Rau, Anas, Bartkowski, there's no difference at this point.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think Brown and Rau are partly there because they are homeboys, and it's easy to get them in the facility. It's also a reward for staying with the team. Can't say I agree with the thinking much.

Anas didn't stick out much to me.

P10p

May 15, 2012
I worked for USA Hockey for 4 years and have consulted for two NHL teams in hockey ops. The biggest farce in hockey is that NHL scouts and staff are supreme talent evaluators. Most of the people who work in hockey ops, from coaches to support staff, are no better than you or I at evaluating talent. They're just better as speaking with conviction.

And this is the internet where anyone can claim anything about real life. I'm not trying to rag on you but you can't demand credibility on the internet.....

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
And this is the internet where anyone can claim anything about real life. I'm not trying to rag on you but you can't demand credibility on the internet.....
I'm not demanding anything. I'm sharing my experience. Whether or not you believe my experience to be true won't cause me to lose sleep.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Not thrilled about the inclusion of Rau and Robson over Anas and Addison. For all that I thought Anas didn't stick out during scrimmages, it's a slap in the face to not include him after a great season. As for Addison, while i think it's unlikely that he'll get playing time, but he looked really good to me in scrimmages, and Belpedio and Mennel looked ordinary, to me, though I guess they want to honor their play with the organization. Don't see why the same doesn't hold true with Anas, though. I mean, we've seen what Rau has to offer multiple times, and he has never been able to be effective in the NHL.
Addison looks like he can really skate, can handle the puck, and is composed out there. Not sure what he is like under pressure in his own end, defending line rushes, and bodying up big strong guys near the crease. Mennell might not ba any bigger, but he, at least has had experience against men in the AHL.

I like Robson with the Gophers, but he is not ready for the NHL.

I do see why they took Bartkowski. Even though he is LH'ed, he would give the team some of what Pateryn offered. Van isn't that physical, but if they continue past that MN might need a stronger, more physical, defensive Dman in the lineup than Hunt, Mennel, and Belpedio. He's sort of like Soucy was a year or two ago when we played WPG, or have I got that wrong?

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Not thrilled about the inclusion of Rau and Robson over Anas and Addison. For all that I thought Anas didn't stick out during scrimmages, it's a slap in the face to not include him after a great season. As for Addison, while i think it's unlikely that he'll get playing time, but he looked really good to me in scrimmages, and Belpedio and Mennel looked ordinary, to me, though I guess they want to honor their play with the organization. Don't see why the same doesn't hold true with Anas, though. I mean, we've seen what Rau has to offer multiple times, and he has never been able to be effective in the NHL.
Addison looks like he can really skate, can handle the puck, and is composed out there. Not sure what he is like under pressure in his own end, defending line rushes, and bodying up big strong guys near the crease. Mennell might not ba any bigger, but he, at least has had experience against men in the AHL.

I like Robson with the Gophers, but he is not ready for the NHL.

I do see why they took Bartkowski. Even though he is LH'ed, he would give the team some of what Pateryn offered. Van isn't that physical, but if they continue past that MN might need a stronger, more physical, defensive Dman in the lineup than Hunt, Mennel, and Belpedio. He's sort of like Soucy was a year or two ago when we played WPG, or have I got that wrong?
If any of the extra guys actually have to play, it's going to be in a 4th line/3rd pair role. That's what Sturm, Johnson, and Rau are. Anas can't play that style of game. Same thing with Addison, they're never going to need Addison to step in and play on the PP, but they might need a guy to play 3rd pair minutes and eat some of the PK duties. Belpedio and Bartkowski are probably better options for that role.

Reactions: TaLoN

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
If any of the extra guys actually have to play, it's going to be in a 4th line/3rd pair role. That's what Sturm, Johnson, and Rau are. Anas can't play that style of game. Same thing with Addison, they're never going to need Addison to step in and play on the PP, but they might need a guy to play 3rd pair minutes and eat some of the PK duties. Belpedio and Bartkowski are probably better options for that role.
this is the hard thing to accept sometimes. I don't recall who wrote it but awhile back someone reported that the wild want to use Anas in a top 6 role not bottom six thus why he never got called up.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Robson is insurance. A lot of teams will be carrying four goaltenders, because they won't get an emergency call-up. Most teams don't want to get caught with their pants down if something happens to all three goalies. And yes it could happen. One could catch Covid, and the other two could have tweaks and injuries.

Rau over Anas is a head scratcher.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Robson is insurance. A lot of teams will be carrying four goaltenders, because they won't get an emergency call-up. Most teams don't want to get caught with their pants down if something happens to all three goalies. And yes it could happen. One could catch Covid, and the other two could have tweaks and injuries.

Rau over Anas is a head scratcher.

I'm sure it was not a difficult call for the staff.

Not just you, but amazing to see people who think any coach would want a tiny, offense-first guy with zero NHL experience even in case of emergency.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Not just you, but amazing to see people who think any coach would want a tiny, offense-first guy with zero NHL experience even in case of emergency.

Kyle Rau is 5'8", and shoots left. Also, he's been through three organizations and only 42 NHL games. He doesn't offer much.

Sam Anas is 5'8", and shoots right. While he has zero NHL experience, it's the best time to see if he has any potential in the NHL or not. We know that Rau doesn't. He at least gives the Wild another right-handed shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad