Minnesota Wild General Discussion V

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I think a thing to do in the future to shed cap space is going to like in the NBA, where you trade decent players on long-term contract for a player with a bigger, but expiring contract. Rather than trade those decent players for guys with smaller contracts and paying a premium for doing so. Like in the Scandella and Pominville trade.

For example, look at Panarin. Columbus has said they want a roster player back. He probably will not re-sign with the Wild, but if the Wild were to trade Nino for Panarin, we can make a good push this season and have some flexibility going into an off-season. Not saying this particular move is smart, because Nino is a good player, but that's the kind of thing that teams can do if they really want to drop large chunks of salary in a hurry, rather than getting held over a barrel in the summer.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
I think a thing to do in the future to shed cap space is going to like in the NBA, where you trade decent players on long-term contract for a player with a bigger, but expiring contract. Rather than trade those decent players for guys with smaller contracts and paying a premium for doing so. Like in the Scandella and Pominville trade.

For example, look at Panarin. Columbus has said they want a roster player back. He probably will not re-sign with the Wild, but if the Wild were to trade Nino for Panarin, we can make a good push this season and have some flexibility going into an off-season. Not saying this particular move is smart, because Nino is a good player, but that's the kind of thing that teams can do if they really want to drop large chunks of salary in a hurry, rather than getting held over a barrel in the summer.

Not a bad idea, and even though i enjoy Nino it would be an upgrade for us to land him.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland

Nino amazing ga/60, gf/60 stats this season and everyone knows he is solid. I would rather bleed a D-man for extra scoring.

CBJ doesn´t have a good defense, they should be willing to hear an offer...

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Giving away players that are worth their contracts, makes zero sense.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
According to jacket fans, nothing anyone wants to give up. realistic, probably nino and a high pick or top prospect.
There is going to be a lot of disappointed fans from Columbus, Dallas, and Ottawa this off-season. Would have thought people would have learned from the Islanders - Tavares situation. Or the Wild when we lost Gaborik for basically nothing.

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
There is going to be a lot of disappointed fans from Columbus, Dallas, and Ottawa this off-season. Would have thought people would have learned from the Islanders - Tavares situation. Or the Wild when we lost Gaborik for basically nothing.

This is why its pointless to ask about Panarin because even though i would give up talented players on the wild for him, their asking price as cbj fans is just ridiculous.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
giving up nino for panarin doesnt make sense just because he is on a good contract?
A UFA Panarin doesn't have anywhere near that kind of value.

My point was more to the idea of trading Nino for Panarin and then letting Panarin walk at the end of the year just so the Wild could have more cap space. That idea is just moronic. You're not going to find a younger or cheaper or better option than Niederreiter in free agency.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
There's a Town Hall type of meeting going on with Fenton and the assistant GM right now on FSN.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

My point was more to the idea of trading Nino for Panarin and then letting Panarin walk at the end of the year just so the Wild could have more cap space. That idea is just moronic. You're not going to find a younger or cheaper or better option than Niederreiter in free agency.

You could kinda/sorta rationalize it if Kaprizov was coming over next summer. But even then it’s a bit of a stretch.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Tha

That was not the point of that post.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
You could kinda/sorta rationalize it if Kaprizov was coming over next summer. But even then it’s a bit of a stretch.
You can certainly rationalize the idea of trading for Panarin, even if you're not concerned with having him past this season, but it will never make sense to waste assets.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota

I think you underestimate elite level talent. If he was to come here for Nino straight up. Just having him on the team makes us better. We would still have a chance to sign him or rent him out if we fail for a high price. Contract terms should not be the only thing considered in it. Its more than just oh we have him 3 years cheap vs this guy for maybe one.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
There's a Town Hall type of meeting going on with Fenton and the assistant GM right now on FSN.
i caught a little over half , no earth shattering revelations but when fenton was asked about kaprizov he really lit up and sounded excited. BB kinda dissed toronto fans by implying mn nice didnt apply to them (maybe i heard that wrong it was after happy hr)

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
i caught a little over half , no earth shattering revelations but when fenton was asked about kaprizov he really lit up and sounded excited. BB kinda dissed toronto fans by implying mn nice didnt apply to them (maybe i heard that wrong it was after happy hr)
The only other note that I remember is that Fenton said he wants to lock players up at a younger age, since they had a ton of success with that in Nashville. Maybe JEE gets a long deal after his rookie contract.

He called the trade market like a game of poker right now, and he's currently comfortable with this team going into the season (of course he would say that). He did say that he wants to get a look at this team and the players on the ice, and won't hesitate to look at improving if he's not satisfied.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
The only other note that I remember is that Fenton said he wants to lock players up at a younger age, since they had a ton of success with that in Nashville. Maybe JEE gets a long deal after his rookie contract.

He called the trade market like a game of poker right now, and he's currently comfortable with this team going into the season (of course he would say that). He did say that he wants to get a look at this team and the players on the ice, and won't hesitate to look at improving if he's not satisfied.

i just read up on this, he said he wants to wait till they get into training cap at the earliest and let bruce yell in his ear "we need this".

Also to the point of Ek being 3rd liner demoted last year, BB confirmed in the town hall that he played 4th line then was eventually promoted to 3rd line.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
All-Da Beauty Team
Brock Boeser is your MVP
Forwards -
Tyler Pitlick- Velocity
Mikey Eyssimont- Walser
Brock Nelson- BIC
D-
Alex Goligoski- Velocity