Minnesota Wild General Discussion V

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Wins and GAA are a team stat, not a goaltending stat. dubnyk is an average goaltender being propped up by an outstanding defensive team.

Anyone that says that Dubnyk is THE problem in the playoffs is wrong. Anyone that says that Dubnyk isn't a problem in the playoffs is also wrong.
Yes, he is an avg goaltender... I agree, and he's a bargain at his salary still as seen by the above tweets. He's 21st in the league when it comes to goaltender cap hit. That's BELOW avg cap hit. I have no problem with that at all.

I am of the opinion you are better off with a mid-tier goaltender when building a team than a top tier tender. We have a bargain of a mid-tier goaltender.

The problem is, the rest of our cap? It's going to players who can't cash in when needed when the games count.

Reactions: Rabid Husky

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Yes, he is an avg goaltender... I agree, and he's a bargain at his salary still as seen by the above tweets. He's 21st in the league when it comes to goaltender cap hit. That's BELOW avg cap hit. I have no problem with that at all.

I am of the opinion you are better off with a mid-tier goaltender when building a team than a top tier tender. We have a bargain of a mid-tier goaltender.

The problem is, the rest of our cap? It's going to players who can't cash in when needed when the games count.
Being paid what you're worth, isn't a bargain. I would think that you could come up with 21 goalies that could do what Dubnyk does, and I bet more than a few of those guys make less than Dubnyk.

And it doesn't matter what you're being paid if you can't do your job. Dubnyk has failed to "cash in" just as often as the offense.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
And yet...the bitching is about Dubnyk and not the team as a whole. The WHOLE team is the problem.
I have a hard time blaming Dubnyk when no one does anything.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
We just signed Zucker to more money...and he has 8 points total in 31 playoff games...
Dubnyk has played 26...

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
You haven't seen the *****ing about Zucker? Especially his playoff resume?
Yes i have...but i also don't see bitching about his money or assigning him blame for losses like I see with Dubnyk.
Talon is right...look at the losses and see how much we score...Dubnyk is bascially being told...shutouts or we lose.

I also take issue with the "Dubnyk could be replaced" shtick...like you saying you could find 21 goalies who do what he does and some for less. Well if we are talking playoffs....guys like Zucker can be replaced a hell of a lot easier.

Last edited:

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Yes i have...but i also don't see *****ing about his money or assigning him blame for losses like I see with Dubnyk.
Talon is right...look at the losses and see how much we score...Dubnyk is bascially being told...shutouts or we lose.

I also take issue with the "Dubnyk could be replaced" shtick...like you saying you could find 21 goalies who do what he does and some for less. Well if we are talking playoffs....guys like Zucker can be replaced a hell of a lot easier.
And, if we're only talking playoffs, then just about anyone would be an upgrade of Dubnyk.

Reactions: Aurinko

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
No...they wouldnt
Since Dubnyk arrived in Minnesota, 40 goaltenders have played at least 4 playoff games. Dubnyk ranks 35th in save percentage among them. And that's while playing for a top 5 defensive system.

I have no desire to make excuses for any of the forwards on the team, but also can't agree with anyone making them for Dubnyk. For all the talking, or stats that we want to throw around, hockey is still pretty basic in one regard, the team with the better goalie usually wins. Dubnyk hasn't been that near enough.

Reactions: Aurinko

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
A top 5 system? Not in the playoffs it's not. I also do not care who the "better goalie" is...when you average less than 2 goals per game...you aren't going to win the playoffs.
Last 3 years...MN has put up better than 2 goals...5 times (3 in one series against Dallas)...they are 3-2 in those games.
They've put up 2 or less...11 times...they are 1-10.

Reactions: TaLoN

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
It's not fair to Dubnyk because he's had more chances to be bad? Really? How many times has Dubnyk been the better goalie in a series that he has played?

St. Louis he was fantastic. Jets he was great in 4 of 5. Don't remember much from the Dallas series or the Hawks sweep. I think his play in the playoffs has absolutely been trending upwards. Allen and Dubnyk were playing like the best goalies of the first round in the series vs. St. Louis. Dubnyk stood on his head in our 1st game vs. WPG and he looked pretty damn solid in the rest except for Game 5.

Sure, he could absolutely be better in the playoffs. However, the scoring has always been the main issue in my eyes. Can't win games when you can't score. Dubnyk keeps us in practically every game, it's on the forwards to be the deciding factor in the playoffs IMO.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
St. Louis he was fantastic. Jets he was great in 4 of 5. Don't remember much from the Dallas series or the Hawks sweep. I think his play in the playoffs has absolutely been trending upwards. Allen and Dubnyk were playing like the best goalies of the first round in the series vs. St. Louis. Dubnyk stood on his head in our 1st game vs. WPG and he looked pretty damn solid in the rest except for Game 5.

Sure, he could absolutely be better in the playoffs. However, the scoring has always been the main issue in my eyes. Can't win games when you can't score. Dubnyk keeps us in practically every game, it's on the forwards to be the deciding factor in the playoffs IMO.
How many times has Dubnyk been the better goalie in a series he has played?

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
How many times has Dubnyk been the better goalie in a series he has played?

How many times has the opposing goalies played like one of the bests?

In Hellebuyck's 4 wins, he posted a .969 SV% with 2 SOs. Not to mention, he faced 37 shots in the first 2 GAMES.

In Allen's 4 wins, he posted a .961 SV% while allowing just 1 goal in 3 of his wins.

In Crawford's 4 wins, he posted a .947 SV% with a SO.

The only series Dubnyk really blew it was against the Stars. That's the only series where better goaltending could've probably won us a series. He could've beat the Hawks, but they've had our number for years so I wouldn't put the blame solely on his shoulders.

Dubnyk's last 2 postseason performances have been strong. The team in front of him has been noticeably weaker. Goaltending has not been a worry of mine since we acquired Dubnyk. Sure, it'd be fantastic for a goalie to get hot and steal you some games in the playoffs. It's necessary to make the Finals, but it's not going to be what brings you there.

Let's look at Dubnyk's game log:

Gm 1 vs WPG: .925 SV% - Great

Gm 2 vs WPG: .909 SV% - Not good, but not a performance to blame for a loss

Gm 3 vs WPG: .935 SV% - Great, even his .909 SV% would've won this handily

Gm 4 vs WPG: .963 SV% - Fantastic & a loss

Gm 5 vs WPG: .600 SV% - Terrible. 1 out of 5 games is on him, the very last one, which wouldn't have really mattered.

------------------------------------------------
Gm 1 vs STL: .923 SV% - Solid performance

Gm 2 vs STL: .909 SV% - Meh

Gm 3 vs STL: .933 SV% - Great game

Gm 4 vs STL: 1.000 SV% - Can't do better. Seems to be the only way he can win a game in the playoffs.

Gm 5 vs STL: .852 SV% - OTL. Would've been nice to see a solid performance in this one, but first bad game comes at the end of the series again.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gm 1 vs DAL: .903 SV% - Not a playoff winning performances. Could've allowed just 1 goal and we would've lost though.

Gm 2 vs DAL: .929 SV% - Only 2 GA in a loss.

Gm 3 vs DAL: .824 SV% - Somehow win this one. First time the team has "won" him the game.

Gm 4 vs DAL: .864 SV% - Another shitty game.

Gm 5 vs DAL: .902 SV% - An OT win. 2nd time the team has won him a game in 3 years and they both came in the same series.

Gm 6 vs. DAL: .792 SV% - Shitty performance to end the season.

Gm 1 vs STL: .905 SV% - Only 2 GA to steal a game on the road. Not fantastic, but serviceable.

Gm 2 vs STL: .885 SV% - Bad game. Still went back home with home ice advantage.

Gm 3 vs STL: 1.000 SV% - Can't complain about a SO.

Gm 4 vs STL: .647 SV% - It's nice when you can have a terrible game and it doesn't end your season.

Gm 5 vs STL: .973 SV% - Fantastic answer to getting pulled.

Gm 6 vs STL: .968 SV% - Another great game to close a series.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Gm 1 vs CHI: .886 SV% - Not a good start to a series after winning the first one vs STL.

Gm 2 vs CHI: .900 SV% - Not good, not bad. Winnable game w/ more than 1 goal support.

Gm 3 vs CHI: .955 SV% - Can't win when you can't score.

Gm 4 vs CHI: .875 SV% - Quick sweep to a bad series.

Dubnyk has played solidly in 3 out of 5 playoffs series. He was terrible in one and questionable in another.

Last edited:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Nobody is obsolving Dubnyk of anything. We're just saying the #1 problem for this team in the playoffs is the lack of scoring, and it's not really close!

The defense plays well enough that Dubnuk doesn't HAVE to play fantastic to win. The offense scores so little on the flipside that Dubnuk MUST play fantastic to win.

Reactions: Rabid Husky

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
How many times has the opposing goalies played like one of the bests?

In Hellebuyck's 4 wins, he posted a .969 SV% with 2 SOs. Not to mention, he faced 37 shots in the first 2 GAMES.

In Allen's 4 wins, he posted a .961 SV% while allowing just 1 goal in 3 of his wins.

In Crawford's 4 wins, he posted a .947 SV% with a SO.

The only series Dubnyk really blew it was against the Stars. That's the only series where better goaltending could've probably won us a series. He could've beat the Hawks, but they've had our number for years so I wouldn't put the blame solely on his shoulders.

Dubnyk's last 2 postseason performances have been strong. The team in front of him has been noticeably weaker. Goaltending has not been a worry of mine since we acquired Dubnyk. Sure, it'd be fantastic for a goalie to get hot and steal you some games in the playoffs. It's necessary to make the Finals, but it's not going to be what brings you there.

Let's look at Dubnyk's game log:

Gm 1 vs WPG: .925 SV% - Great

Gm 2 vs WPG: .909 SV% - Not good, but not a performance to blame for a loss

Gm 3 vs WPG: .935 SV% - Great, even his .909 SV% would've won this handily

Gm 4 vs WPG: .963 SV% - Fantastic & a loss

Gm 5 vs WPG: .600 SV% - Terrible. 1 out of 5 games is on him, the very last one, which wouldn't have really mattered.

------------------------------------------------
Gm 1 vs STL: .923 SV% - Solid performance

Gm 2 vs STL: .909 SV% - Meh

Gm 3 vs STL: .933 SV% - Great game

Gm 4 vs STL: 1.000 SV% - Can't do better. Seems to be the only way he can win a game in the playoffs.

Gm 5 vs STL: .852 SV% - OTL. Would've been nice to see a solid performance in this one, but first bad game comes at the end of the series again.

Gm 1 vs DAL: .903 SV% - Not a playoff winning performances. Could've allowed just 1 goal and we would've lost though.

Gm 2 vs DAL: .929 SV% - Only 2 GA in a loss.

Gm 3 vs DAL: .824 SV% - Somehow win this one. First time the team has "won" him the game.

Gm 4 vs DAL: .864 SV% - Another ****ty game.

Gm 5 vs DAL: .902 SV% - An OT win. 2nd time the team has won him a game in 3 years and they both came in the same series.

Gm 6 vs. DAL: .792 SV% - ****ty performance to end the season.

Gm 1 vs STL: .905 SV% - Only 2 GA to steal a game on the road. Not fantastic, but serviceable.

Gm 2 vs STL: .885 SV% - Bad game. Still went back home with home ice advantage.

Gm 3 vs STL: 1.000 SV% - Can't complain about a SO.

Gm 4 vs STL: .647 SV% - It's nice when you can have a terrible game and it doesn't end your season.

Gm 5 vs STL: .973 SV% - Fantastic answer to getting pulled.

Gm 6 vs STL: .968 SV% - Another great game to close a series.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Gm 1 vs CHI: .886 SV% - Not a good start to a series after winning the first one vs STL.

Gm 2 vs CHI: .900 SV% - Not good, not bad. Winnable game w/ more than 1 goal support.

Gm 3 vs CHI: .955 SV% - Can't win when you can't score.

Gm 4 vs CHI: .875 SV% - Quick sweep to a bad series.

Dubnyk has played solidly in 3 out of 5 playoffs series. He was terrible in one and questionable in another.
You still haven't answered 1 simple question. Put up a wall of useless numbers though.

P10p

May 15, 2012
You still haven't answered 1 simple question. Put up a wall of useless numbers though.

How Many games has Minnesotas forward group played better than the opposing team smart guy??

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i've been critical of dubnyk being just avg however you win as a team & you lose as a team. one bad play shouldn't be the reason a team loses a playoff series. plenty of blame to go around including mgmt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot