Minnesota Wild General Discussion V

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I honestly hope you're right, and I do believe that he's capable of doing it, I just don't think we I can say it's likely. Although, 30 points isn't a good season for a 3C.

I think 30 points would be fine. Certainly you hope for 40-45 but that's approaching Koivu level. I was also kind of basing it off of Haula's killer season a few years ago where he had 34.
Like I said, I like his chances for 30 minimum.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I think 30 points would be fine. Certainly you hope for 40-45 but that's approaching Koivu level. I was also kind of basing it off of Haula's killer season a few years ago where he had 34.
Like I said, I like his chances for 30 minimum.
Haula was run out of town for not providing enough offense from the 3C

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Haula was run out of town for not providing enough offense from the 3C

We can probably go back and forth. I'll agree most seasons (all but 2015-16 really) he didn't provide as much offense as you'd want. I think the reason he left though was because of the expansion draft and cap situation. I think a lot of fans were more or less overall happy with what he provided in that role. I was a huge Haula fan, and personally I always felt like he had more offense than he had shown. Why he couldn't manage to score 40+ consistently I guess I don't know. Obviously no PP time doesn't help, but most 3C's don't get PP time, so that's not really an excuse.

Anyway, we can agree to disagree on Haula. I don't think he's really relevant to Ek, completely different play styles and ceilings.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I do think JEE's linemates played a part in his limited production. But I look at it as more the lack of consistent linemates more than the lack of skilled linemates.

The bottom-6 was almost a compete overhaul from the season before. There was no previous chemistry or even system familiarity for the players to fall back on as everything got shuffled due to top-6 injuries. JEE's 15 games from the previous season gave him more NHL games in the Wild's current system than any of the bottom-6 guys (outside of Stewie, who played top-6 for the early portion of the season). Way too many o-zone possessions were ended because of passes to nowhere. You could see in the early season that the mix of the Pens (Cullen), Caps (Winnik), Sabres (Foligno/Ennis), UW (Kunin), and Wild (JEE/Mitchell/Stewie) just weren't on the same page, chapter, or even book at times.

JEE did improve the 2nd half of the season, but it only really started happening after he got Foligno and Winnik on his wings. Then some chemistry (or at least familiarity) started to develop between them. None of them were great players, but at least the line became a solid overall line.

The time for JEE to be in the AHL has passed. From a strictly developmental standpoint, if it was going to happen it should have been to early last season. Injuries prevented that from really being an option, neither Kunin or Mitchell should have been in the NHL either. He has a season of NHL experience behind him now, and the off-season to work on correcting some of the deficiencies in his game.

If he can get ~30p next year, without PP time, playing 3rd line usage, and + hockey; it would be great.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I miss Haula.
Really would have been nice to elevate him to the 2nd line and shift Koivu down to the third line. He got a lot slower without him.

We would have had to drop salary via Vegas draft with one of our wingers or Scandella/Brodin, and maybe a trade or buyout of Pominville, but the Wild could have made it work. Oh well, water under the bridge now.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Didn't he show up to camp in garbage shape one year and take half a season to be remotely useful?

Kind of, but it was mostly because he spent the summer with his Jaw wired shot because Malkin broke it at Worlds.

Probably not great for summer workouts to eat all your meals through a straw.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I think the team misses his specific skillset. Speed, smarts, versatility. Wild management always seemed to underestimate him , while they gave other players all sorts of opportunities.

Wild management didn't underestimate him, they just don't value that particular type of skillset in players for some odd reason. Look at who they draft. Look at who they pick up in free agency. Look at the players who have worked and haven't worked for the Wild.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
It does seem like they went through a period where they valued size and "toughness" over speed, skill, and hockey IQ. Haula seemed to have all three of those traits. I like size and toughness as much as the next guy, but you have to be able to...you know...play hockey.

That's why the Pateryn and Foligno signings worry me. Seems to me that BB might still be living in the past a bit, when mauling opponents rather than skating by them was the way to go.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
You still need size and toughness or you will get bullied around.

Schroeder-Brodziak-Fontaine

4th line, best line.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
Kind of, but it was mostly because he spent the summer with his Jaw wired shot because Malkin broke it at Worlds.

Probably not great for summer workouts to eat all your meals through a straw.

But shouldn't he have been jacked as shit off nothing but Muscle Milk all day everyday?

I guess Yeo felt there'd been enough time to recover by January, when he started openly criticizing Haula's conditioning.

Reactions: 2Pair
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad