Minnesota Wild General Discussion Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I guess that's one angle that I hadn't considered. Kind of like having Ek as your 3rd best center and then wondering how it all went wrong when one of your top 2 guys got hurt? I just can't believe that I am going to have to watch Stalock play more games in the NHL. That's not very cool
Didn’t he just sign a 3 year deal? I agree with you. If you can look good behind our defense, you’re really not a NHL quality goalie.

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
Am I the only one that thinks it's just a terrible idea to go into the season with Stalock on the roster?
Yeah, if they're serious about making the playoffs, they can't run Duby into the ground like they have in the past. Fenton has been pushing the whole internal competition thing, but it hasn't existed for Duby much during his tenure.

Where's Jose Theordore when you need him?!

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Yeah, if they're serious about making the playoffs, they can't run Duby into the ground like they have in the past. Fenton has been pushing the whole internal competition thing, but it hasn't existed for Duby much during his tenure.

Where's Jose Theordore when you need him?!

This is true. While what is funny. I checked career NHL statistics of Stalock, Theodore, then took a random career backup in my mind, Curtis McElhinney.. all have .909 S% over NHL career. Of course Theodore's got much more games.

And at some point Wild need both number 1 and a good backup. To be in shape when Kaprizov hopefully arrives and Boldy is ready. Then some centers after Staal and Koivu.

It's a long and winding road..

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Am I the only one that thinks it's just a terrible idea to go into the season with Stalock on the roster?

Yes, because of the expansion - don't want to expose Kaapo (and he needs another year down in the AHL). Who do we sign? Cam Ward? Michal Neuvirth? Al Montoya? Eddie Lack? Zachary Fucale? Michael Leighton? Thomas McCollum? Not a lot of good options there. Keep Stalock as he's familiar with the system, let Kaapo develop as a starter in the AHL. Expose Stalock when Seattle has it's expansion draft and keep Kaapo as a third goaltender with the intention of having him be a back up and then starter.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Yes, because of the expansion - don't want to expose Kaapo (and he needs another year down in the AHL). Who do we sign? Cam Ward? Michal Neuvirth? Al Montoya? Eddie Lack? Zachary Fucale? Michael Leighton? Thomas McCollum? Not a lot of good options there. Keep Stalock as he's familiar with the system, let Kaapo develop as a starter in the AHL. Expose Stalock when Seattle has it's expansion draft and keep Kaapo as a third goaltender with the intention of having him be a back up and then starter.
Having Stalock doesn't keep Kahkkonen from having to be exposed in the expansion draft. Most of the names you listed are better players than Stalock. A goalie being 'familiar with the system" means absolutely nothing.

P10p

May 15, 2012
Having Stalock doesn't keep Kahkkonen from having to be exposed in the expansion draft. Most of the names you listed are better players than Stalock. A goalie being 'familiar with the system" means absolutely nothing.

Whe I agree with most of your post, a goalie knowing the system can definitely have an impact

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Whe I agree with most of your post, a goalie knowing the system can definitely have an impact
In what way? Dubnyk and Stalock both "know the system" yet play completely diferent styles

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
In what way? Dubnyk and Stalock both "know the system" yet play completely diferent styles

Because they know the defensemen and their styles and systems that they play under. As for Kaako, I'd think keeping him in the AHL would be good to limit his exposure and tape. You look at the goalies they picked up? Pickard had a ton of experience, and you know Fleury. The Islanders traded a boatload to keep Vegas from selecting another, but Berube also had experience. Furthermore, the goalies I selected (and the only ones really that have experience)...Ward is close to retirement and was terrible for Chicago. Neuvirth had a medical issue and isn't that much better, if at all. Al Montoya hasn't played in the NHL since 2017-2018 and is as old as Ward. Lack hasn't played in the NHL as well since 2017-2018 and is barely an AHL goalie. Fucale isn't even an AHL goalie. Leighton is 38 and hasn't played in the NHL since 2016-2017. McCollum hasn't played in the NHL since...2014-2015. And is barely an AHL goalie as well. So, again which one of these is better than Stalock?

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Because they know the defensemen and their styles and systems that they play under. As for Kaako, I'd think keeping him in the AHL would be good to limit his exposure and tape. You look at the goalies they picked up? Pickard had a ton of experience, and you know Fleury. The Islanders traded a boatload to keep Vegas from selecting another, but Berube also had experience. Furthermore, the goalies I selected (and the only ones really that have experience)...Ward is close to retirement and was terrible for Chicago. Neuvirth had a medical issue and isn't that much better, if at all. Al Montoya hasn't played in the NHL since 2017-2018 and is as old as Ward. Lack hasn't played in the NHL as well since 2017-2018 and is barely an AHL goalie. Fucale isn't even an AHL goalie. Leighton is 38 and hasn't played in the NHL since 2016-2017. McCollum hasn't played in the NHL since...2014-2015. And is barely an AHL goalie as well. So, again which one of these is better than Stalock?
1. If knowing the system matters?Then explain which one of Dubnyk or Stalock is playing it wrong, because their styles couldn't be more diferent.

2. The Islanders didn't trade anything to protect a goalie in expansion.

3. I would take any of the names mentioned for the simple fact that none of them have proven to be failures in Minnesota. When given the choice between certain garbage and likely garbage? I"m willing to take the chance.

P10p

May 15, 2012

When the goalies and defensemen are familiar with eachother, it can help alot. Just by having a better idea of what the defenseman in front of you is likely to do with the puck.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
I played goalie my entire life and I think there are arguments for both sides of the above argument.

In addition to knowing your player's tendencies (which isn't a system, you can't teach that, it's learned from being on the ice every day.) Different coaches, teams, systems tend to have a few things that the goalie will communicate with defensemen. An example is the during rushes, depending on whether its an odd man rush, even or 1v2, 2v3 etc the goalie will communicate that situation to the defensemen. Others are on breakouts, PK strategy and stretch opportunities. There are a few things that we can consider system based for the goalie.

On the other hand, the above things to learn are picked up quickly and quite frankly, the only thing that matters is that the goalie stops the ******* puck and throws the rest out of the window.

Reactions: Aurinko and W75

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
One thing that kills me about Dubnyk is how clumsy he is with handling the puck, and how he puts his Dmen in bad spots by overhandling it, and not getting out of the way when they come to,pick the puck up behind the net. His wraparound shots around the glass are also ridiculously easy to read, and get intercepted a couple of times per game. He would be better off leaving it behind the net, or even dumping it in the corner.

Overall. We could do worse than Doobs. He lets in too many bad goals, but he has the ability to shrug them off and focus afterwards.

Sure hope Robson/ KK turn into something NHL worthy, though.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
One thing that kills me about Dubnyk is how clumsy he is with handling the puck, and how he puts his Dmen in bad spots by overhandling it, and not getting out of the way when they come to,pick the puck up behind the net. His wraparound shots around the glass are also ridiculously easy to read, and get intercepted a couple of times per game. He would be better off leaving it behind the net, or even dumping it in the corner.

Overall. We could do worse than Doobs. He lets in too many bad goals, but he has the ability to shrug them off and focus afterwards.

Sure hope Robson/ KK turn into something NHL worthy, though.

You're right that Dubnyk is too adventurous with the puck and that's probably the biggest fault to his game. The only other issue I have with him is that I think he relies on his size too much and that makes him overestimate how much of the net he covers on his high glove side. I feel like he gets beat there often.

I know the advanced stats behind Dubnyk's play say that he should be preforming a lot better than he does behind thise defense, but I've never really had many gripes about him. I remember when we were desperate for some stability in net and Dubnyk has more than met that need. He's also on a very good contract. I'd be curious to see what another "good" goalie could do behind this defense, but I'd be worried about falling into the situation where we practically had a revolving door of goaltenders.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Rolston is probably one of my favorite all-time Wild players. Crazy he was only here for 3 years. I remember being really upset when he left and then not so upset when his production never lived up to his new, huge contract.

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
Good ol Rolsteed

I can't remember the magazine name, but on an airplane ride they one that had him on the cover and it was like "Banking On Brian, Inside the Wild's new something or other" and had a ton of info. I miss reading hockey mags. I was so pumped and glad he did so well here.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Rolston was such a bargain considering the non-cap world he signed his deal in, and how crazy lesser players than him were getting paid so much more!

Reactions: AJ Thelen
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad