Minnesota Wild General Discussion Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Fans of a rebuilding team are never happier than the summer before they're supposed to pull out of the dive. Actually pulling out of it is the hard part. Best of luck to them, but we'll see what happens.
Regardless of the short-term outcome, they have made some very smart pickups for very low cost in addition to having some luck.

Kakko, Chytil, and Krastov are very good draft picks the last three years. All have legit 1st line potential.
Zibanejad, Trouba, and Strome were picked up extremely cheap.

Yes, they need to dump some cap now and acquire some better defensive players, but they should be stacked offensively moving forward, which is the hardest part of a team to build. They also have a surplus of RHD, which almost no team has, and lots of prospects from the last couple of drafts.

Rangers are going to explode over the next few seasons.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Regardless of the short-term outcome, they have made some very smart pickups for very low cost in addition to having some luck.

Kakko, Chytil, and Krastov are very good draft picks the last three years. All have legit 1st line potential.
Zibanejad, Trouba, and Strome were picked up extremely cheap.

Yes, they need to dump some cap now and acquire some better defensive players, but they should be stacked offensively moving forward, which is the hardest part of a team to build. They also have a surplus of RHD, which almost no team has, and lots of prospects from the last couple of drafts.

Rangers are going to explode over the next few seasons.

And Kakko is only on that list because they got lucky in the draft lottery.

Trouba and "extremely cheap" won't be in the same sentence for very long.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

I also notice that 7th overall Lias Andersson tends to get left off these lists in favor of guys like Kravstov (9th overall), Chytil (21st overall) and Miller (22nd overall). So that's 1 for 2 when it comes to their non-lotto top-10 picks.

Being bad for 3 years seems to have been a surprisingly minor factor in what they have going for them right now.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009

Go dig through their trades and drafts the last 3 years. It's impressive as hell.

And drafting Kakko is less lucky when you have been unloading aging vets for ~3 years to the explicit purpose of bottoming out in a strong draft. There was a handful of other guys taken in the top-10 that would still have made it a successful strategy for them.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
wow lias andersson's #s aren't very good. just another reason wild fans should be more amped about sokolov. atleast his ahl#s are respectable.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'm all for cronyism and nepotism, as long as it's the right cronies and family members. Chia pets brother and nephew may well be the brains in the family, and Fenton jr. smarter than his dad...i don't know. It doesn't look good though, on a team that missed the playoffs for the first time in years.

There is no doubt that Fenton did not do himself any favors with his less than smooth public presentation, and his less than brilliant first few moves.

Last edited:

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
wow lias andersson's #s aren't very good. just another reason wild fans should be more amped about sokolov. atleast his ahl#s are respectable.
Wha? He is 20.

He has already put up 34 points in 61 games over two seasons in the AHL and played half the year with the Rangers last season because of his two way game.

Sokolov will probably never see the NHL at his rate.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Go dig through their trades and drafts the last 3 years. It's impressive as hell.

And drafting Kakko is less lucky when you have been unloading aging vets for ~3 years to the explicit purpose of bottoming out in a strong draft. There was a handful of other guys taken in the top-10 that would still have made it a successful strategy for them.

It's not a successful strategy yet. They have accumulated zero wins since their "rebuild" ended.

Reactions: Bazeek

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Getting a gauge on your team:

Wild

IN: Zuccarello, Hartman, Donato, Hammond
OUT:

Who were the bodies that the Wild moved on from this year compared to the end of last season?

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota

Wild

OUT:

Who were the bodies that the Wild moved on from this year compared to the end of last season?
bitetto, amburg and fehr are who I can think of that we moved on from. brown is just an extra body. hartmann Is in, Hammond signed somewhere else but he was AHL.

Reactions: DL44

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

Wild

OUT:

Hammond is an "out"

Donato was on our team at the end of last year, so he's not necessarily an "in"

Fehr is an "out"

Reactions: DL44

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
Wha? He is 20.

He has already put up 34 points in 61 games over two seasons in the AHL and played half the year with the Rangers last season because of his two way game.

Sokolov will probably never see the NHL at his rate.
im just looking at goal scoring first ahl season. lias #7 pick 5 goals 25 gms vs 7th rnd pick sokolov 16 goals 60 gms (lias on pace 15G - 75 gms) lets look at ahl season 2 lias 6 goals 36 gms, i fully expect sokolov to score 25g - 72 gms.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Sokolov scores more goals per game than Andersson. However, fails to mention Andersson had 20pts in 36 games (46pts over 82 games), which is better than Sokolov’s pace of 41 pts per 82. Goals aren’t everything though. I would do anything for a PMB type playmaker on this team. People sometimes forget that the reason Rolston was so successful here was because of Bouchard’s playmaking ability.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
just imagine if zucker had the luxury of a playmaker that could keep up with him. while rolston & pmb had excellent chemistry how were they apart? i was always disappointed pmb didn't score more goals. granlund was basically pmb2 and our gm traded him.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
just imagine if zucker had the luxury of a playmaker that could keep up with him. while rolston & pmb had excellent chemistry how were they apart? i was always disappointed pmb didn't score more goals. granlund was basically pmb2 and our gm traded him.
traded him for possibly a better prospect. let time do the talking.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
well i still think fenton should try & trade for gusev & bracco. gusev while hes possibly available for a reasonable price and bracco before he becomes a stud rw.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
As he should be, being picked 6 rounds earlier.
I’m just saying, when making a statement that one isn’t impressive because of draft position shouldn’t be an argument. Sokolov was supposed to be a 1st round draft pick but wasn’t because of medical issues and lack of work ethic. I don’t see anyone questioning Andersson’s work ethic or his defensive capabilities. You know someone who could score but wasn’t really good at anything else? Aberg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad