OT: Minnesota Vikings Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Man, that was disappointing. What's worse, the slow burn of a series of terrible plays or losing in heartbreaking fashion after keeping it close all game? Not sure but this was awful and even though I knew there was a chance they could lose it, I never thought the entire defense would be a no-show. Just hard to explain.

Taking a step back, it's still pretty impressive what the team was able to do as a whole while on basically their 3rd qb and without their best RB. No excuse for that pitiful performance but yeah. Offseason should be interesting...lots of decisions to be made on offense.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Did I hear that right that all of Keenum, Bradford and Bridgewater are not under contract for next year?

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
This team needs a franchise QB. You knew the game was over when Philly got up by two scores. You need a guy who is able to lead you back.

Why were the players still discussing the NO win on Wednesday? Were they even prepared for Philly? There seemed to be a hangover affect.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Don't think a hockey forum can really have a home football team. This is the Minnesota Wild section of a hockey forum. Not football. It is a place for WILD fans to discuss things. Not strictly Minnesota Sports fans. I don't think that rule really applies when talking about football.

And taking this outside the message board do you think the Viking fans at the game in Philly deserved what they got? They were cheering against the home team, so they weren't behaving themselves? I am sure you don't believe that.

There is a difference between trolling and just rooting for a different team. Rooting for a different team is not against the rules. I thought nothing that DB said came close to trolling.
Except this was a football thread on MINNESOTA forum, and some people came in specifically to post mocking, anti Vikings shit. There was a thread on the main forum that that kind of post belongs on, or if they are PHI fans, I am sure they have one going, also.

Kicking people when they are down is pretty classless, and unnecessary. And pretty damn close to breaking the spirit of the rules, if not the letter.

Go post your Viking mocking on the main forum.

TJL48

Nov 30, 2011
St. Paul
Except this was a football thread on MINNESOTA forum, and some people came in specifically to post mocking, anti Vikings ****. There was a thread on the main forum that that kind of post belongs on, or if they are PHI fans, I am sure they have one going, also.

Kicking people when they are down is pretty classless, and unnecessary. And pretty damn close to breaking the spirit of the rules, if not the letter.

Go post your Viking mocking on the main forum.

Once again. Minnesota Wild forum. Not Minnesota Sports. DB clearly has a history of being a wild fan. He is a Wild fan in the Wild forum posting in a non Wild related thread.

And show me a post where DB mocked the Vikings. Didn't see one.

People who have such a problem with this seem like those crazy Philly fans at the game. Doesn't matter how the opposing fans acted, they were treated like crap just because they were there and wearing the wrong colors.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
if i look at what this team did after week 3 losing our stud runningback & quad its a miracle we made the playoffs. our offensive line didnt give keenum any time to really work his magic. sure hope we can trade bradford for something if hes not coming back (doubtful). im a tedhead so i sure hope we keep him atleast as a backup. if we keep keenum i dont think we should overpay him. just my one cent. i admit im a fairweather vikes fan , hockeys my passion.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Interesting. Got to think they will at least offer a contract to Keenum. Bridgewater is still 25 so him too. I view Bradford as the least likely to return. Maybe they target Lamar Jackson in the 1st round of the draft?

Nah. No QB in the 1st round; offensive line or secondary.

With Keenum likely not following Shermur to the Giants, I'm not sure where other starting opportunities are. Cleveland (obviously), Arizona, Buffalo(?).

Is Keenum ok with signing 2 x 15M, or does he think he did enough to get more term? I'm not really down on him after last night; the game swung on two offensive line screw-ups. But still, it would be nice to have a QB that you know can come back from two TD's down, even if there are only 4 or 5 or 6 in the league right now.

Do you just try to re-set to 2 years ago with Bridgewater and hope for the best knee-wise? You could probably get him for pretty cheap ($10m or less) so you can use money elsewhere to bolster the receiving corps or the offensive line. But you're still going to need a veteran backup just in case.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
The line wasn't great last night, but neither was Keenum. He flat out missed a few open throws. I found myself making the same excuses for him that I used to make for our other lame ass QB's such as Tavares Jackson and Ponder.

I think Keenum lost himself at least 50-60M with his performance last night. If he had won the game with a good performance(but nothing out of body) then he might get a 5/100M contract. Certainly if he won, or showed well in the SB. As is, I don't see him getting more than a 3/30-40M offer.

Need more talent on the O line!

Defense was disappointing. Barr, for all his athleticism, can't tackle. Tres Waynes....le sigh. Griffen was quiet.

More than anything els, i think the coaching staff blew it. The guys simply weren't prepared. I wonder if the NYG rethink offering Shurmur a job?

To think that I was worried about Forbath blowing a last minute FG in a tight game.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Yeah, maybe it wasn't the o-line, but the scheme or execution on the fumble was awful. If he gets that ball out, he has someone going to the back corner of the endzone with a step on the defender; would've made it a 14-14 game.

I don't quite remember the missed throws, but I pretty much stopped watching after it was 31-7, so I basically saw no offensive plays in the 2nd half.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
He just didn't have time to get there. went full speed, but he was coming across for the other side:huh:

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Did I hear that right that all of Keenum, Bradford and Bridgewater are not under contract for next year?

Yep. They need to decide which to keep, if any. Personally, I really like Case, but I'm not sure he's the QB of the future, and I'm especially not sure he'll be worth the money he's going to command after this season. For me, I view him as a starting quality game managing quarterback, but probably some GM is going to remember his 7 Heaven throw and pay him boko-bucks. The only type of team that will have a chance at it all with him as the starter is one that has an insane defense. So... this years squad may have been his best bet. It's tough though, because you've got a pretty good but not usually great QB in Bradford (nevermind the injury history), and then Bridgewater who has lost an entire two seasons of prime development and before that had similar stats to Christian Ponder, but looked like he was getting close to figuring it all out. I'd consider him a long odds bet right now. I like the kid, but I don't think he's the QB of the future.

I don't know what I'd do if I were Spielman. I think I'd keep Keenum over Bradford, but would I also keep him over Bridgewater? Maybe you keep both and hope Bridgewater turns into the QB of the future, while also still drafting another QB to hedge that bet? And Sloter's still around. Might be something there, but I haven't ever seen him play. Going into this season I felt that we were weak on QB, and I honestly still feel that way about this current group. There are just question marks on every single guy.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Sorry if this was mentioned in the above posts, but Bridgewater came out and said he sees himself as a starter next year. That likely means he would leave if they commit to Keenum. Whether or not another team sees him as a starter is another story, but it didn't sound like he would want to come back knowing he would be a backup.

McKinnon also said he wants to play for a team where he would be more of a feature back. Again, same story, but he sounds gone already.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
And this is unrelated so I'm double posting.

For me, I look back to Zimmer's post game press conference last week. If you didn't see it, fans were chanting his name outside the whole time, and he was loving it. Several times he started fist pumping while the chant was going on as if they had just won the Super Bowl. I know it was an incredible high after the miracle finish, but the celebratory mood and body language bothered me all week. It was a major red flag imo.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Sorry if this was mentioned in the above posts, but Bridgewater came out and said he sees himself as a starter next year. That likely means he would leave if they commit to Keenum. Whether or not another team sees him as a starter is another story, but it didn't sound like he would want to come back knowing he would be a backup.

McKinnon also said he wants to play for a team where he would be more of a feature back. Again, same story, but he sounds gone already.

I'm not worried about McKinnon. Cook + Murray is a great duo; not surprised McKinnon would want a change, but I'm not sure on what team he'd be a "feature" back.

The QB thing is just weird. I feel like I could legitimately make a case for all three of them.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I'm not worried about McKinnon. Cook + Murray is a great duo; not surprised McKinnon would want a change, but I'm not sure on what team he'd be a "feature" back.

The QB thing is just weird. I feel like I could legitimately make a case for all three of them.
It is odd. Bradford clearly has the best arm and is probably the best QB, but you can't rely on him to play. Keenum just brought us to the NFC title game, so it's hard to abandon him completely if he wants to stay. He was awesome in the middle of the season, but pretty weak down the stretch. Bridgewater was the franchise QB but hasn't played in two years. It's a mess.

Thankfully, the rest of the roster is pretty good.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
The QB situation is interesting, and I don't envy the decisions that have to be made. I think Bradford is gone, we can't rely on his health.

Now, if you believe the sources from a few weeks ago, Keenum would like to follow Shurmer, but would he go to a situation in New York where he doesn't know how long Eli will play for? I would take Keenum back, but I am a bit worried that this was a career year for him, and he might regress next year. When it comes down to it, I'd like to see Teddy and Keenum both back, and have them compete for the job.

By the way, do we think the Vikings warrant their own thread, rather than going in the catch-all "other sports" thread?

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
For the own thread, possibly. They take up the majority of the talk.

Now this is mostly entirely but not really a serious recommendation but kind of possibly a potentially viable option for QB next year... dare I say it? Nick... Foles...?

(Yes that sentence intentionally made no sense, and I am 95% kidding about that, but he's a hall of famer in that one game sample size :laugh: )

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
For the own thread, possibly. They take up the majority of the talk.

Now this is mostly entirely but not really a serious recommendation but kind of possibly a potentially viable option for QB next year... dare I say it? Nick... Foles...?

(Yes that sentence intentionally made no sense, and I am 95% kidding about that, but he's a hall of famer in that one game sample size :laugh: )

cousins or even an attempt brees are more likely IMO.

NonsenseElimination

Jan 1, 2016
Not sure where McKinnon believes he would be anything other than a backup. Cook + Murray is much better than Cook + McKinnon. As far as the QB position is concerned, I have no trust in Case and firmly believe that this team would have had similar success with almost any NFL level QB playing because that defense would hold the offense in most games. He's NOT who the Vikings should count on as a long term starter and will be pissed if they pay big money to keep him based on one season. Teddy and Bradford are better I think, but probably not much. The GM is in a tough spot at QB because I don't see any of those three QBs as that high of quality.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Mackinnon is a poor man's Chester Taylor. Don't get where he thinks he can be a feature back, but more power to him if he wants to go elsewhere.

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Yeah, that Mackinnon info is a little funny at best. Don't see him doing anything differently with any other team out there. I feel like he had his moment to shine when it was him and Asiata holding down the backfield and I certainly don't remember him shining. Maybe he'll do better on another team? If so, I wish him well. Like someone else said, Cook/Murray should work just fine for us ... especially if we can upgrade that line.

The QB question is a good one, happy it's not my decision to make. I do feel we need to let Bradford walk. He's done and I wouldn't want to rely on him as a back up. I was certainly a Case fan throughout the season, but there is a reason he hasn't found a home. Definitely would be a gamble to wager on him, let Teddy walk, and sign Bradford as a back-up. Teddy. I've never been a fan of Teddy, at all ... but it would be a shame if he didn't get a chance to win back his position. Best case scenario both Case and Teddy sign cheap for a year and we can make that evaluation from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad