Rumor: Minnesota might be looking to trade for Tokarski

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
I guess it depends on how good you think Tokarski is, so that makes it a bit strange to understand where you are coming from. Your idea that Tokarski is "blocked" or having his career screwed (or is likely to be in that situation in the next couple of years) is probably a pretty extreme minority one, you must realize.

Not IS, would/could be if he was stuck here for the next "2-3 years at least". I don't think that's a minority opinion at all, if other teams are already rumored to be wondering about him as an upgrade to any part of their current situation(s).

I'm not even saying they SHOULD try to move him now. I don't think it's quite time organizationally or in terms of asset management/return. But there are teams in need right now, and if the right price comes along, he's the obvious choice BECAUSE of where he'll likely stand in 2-3 years time and the value he seems to be building.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
I think you answered your own question. He has done well in his limited opportunities. Teams aren't going to pay a lot for a guy who might be a number one. They would rather pay a lot for someone who is almost a lock to be a #1.... Kinda like the Corey Schneider saga.

Sure. But not all teams go in with the unreal expectation that they're going to put together a package that will net them a franchise goalie. Plenty of teams go out with the intention of simply improving whatever parts of their lineup they can, however they can - and that includes BOTH goaltending positions.

Of course you don't let Tokarski go for a song. But of course you let him go for the right price, too, if a desperate team comes along. He's neither an untouchable, nor a building block, nor a cornerstone of the franchise.

Apr 28, 2010
Not sure if I should be impressed or...

but 3 pages now, not one has suggested Toks+DD for a Wild player :laugh:

Seems to me that Wild fans are tired of Koivu. They want a 1st line center. From reading their trade proposals thread, they want someone like Eric Staal. They also want Cam Ward as their next goalie to replace Backstrom. Could be done if Nino (+picks) is actually the one getting traded.

3rd/4th rounder is the only return I think we could get for Toks. So it's really NOT worth it.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
If they were willing to give us something of value, I'd take Backstrom (cash-dump) and give them Tolkarski, maybe even a draft-pick.But it would have to be someone who could help us now, like top 6 potential winger. Otherwise, why help them?

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
People really want Haula? Do we need a non-physical small fourth line center who's bad at faceoffs? Unless the goal is to play him at LW on the third line and hope he can produce like he did in College. Even then he's basically Finnish Bournival.

Keep in mind that we're talking about the return for trading a back-up goalie with a handful of games' NHL experience. I don't think you're going to get much better than an Erik Haula coming back. Maybe Kyle Brodziak if we were looking for a bit more size/grit? As far as roster players go I think that's about it.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Condon and Mac could do the job in Montreal. If the return is great....I'm totally in. Yet....better work on a package 'cause Toks is not going to give you a 1st or even a 2nd. Not in 2015. If it does...jump on it.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Keep in mind that we're talking about the return for trading a back-up goalie with a handful of games' NHL experience. I don't think you're going to get much better than an Erik Haula coming back. Maybe Kyle Brodziak if we were looking for a bit more size/grit? As far as roster players go I think that's about it.

We're not shopping Tokarski, they're asking for him. The price is higher than his actual value.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Are they REALLY desperate? If so...build a package and get....Alex Tuch. :D

Frankly, if it's to get NHL'ers, while obvioiusly Tokarski won't be enough, the only "interesting" forward names could be Niederreiter, Zucker and Coyle. They won't trade Coyle....or could they?

On D, well it's getting more interesting. Scandella? Folin?

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
ToKarski might be the best option available but I don't see it as the best fit for a trade...

Considering Tokarski cap hit, performance/ the way he performed in the playoff, the fact that we don't have anyone to take is place, his history won every where he when CHL, WJC, AHL... He has more value to Mtl, than is actual trade value, I don't think we are in a position to trade him considering the return we could get. Even If it was in a package I don't MIN being a great trade partner since they either have player we don't want or player they wouldn't give up or player that we have trouble fitting under the cap...

No team from the west will help them out unless they want Scrivens or Fasth from the Oilers

Svedberg seem like he be the cheapest option, Boston doesn't need him with Subban waitting and Boston probably could use some changes.
The only issue is Boston Cap situation.

Reimer might cost a little more than Svedberg but he is a bit more proven, Bernier is the man in Toronto and Toronto NEEDS to make some changes, unloading Reimer actually clear some cap space.

Ward is having trouble moving probably won't help him

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
How much higher do you figure?

In situations like this, I think the difference could be in the ballpark of bottom 6 vs top 6 player (but not "1st line" versus "4th line", if you catch my drift). So, in terms of our team, it could be the difference between a Plekanec instead of an Eller, or whatever. Never know how draft picks are going to flesh out deals anymore, though. Value seems so volatile over time compared to most players.

LastRide

Feb 18, 2008
I would rather dump Fucale than Toke. I am not sold on Fucale at this time. I wasn't all that impressed at the WJC.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I would rather dump Fucale than Toke. I am not sold on Fucale at this time. I wasn't all that impressed at the WJC.

The wild are looking for a guy to step now I doutb they are looking at Fucale, also Fucale value might be even less then Tokarski, might be taking a big risk trading a asset base on a few games and getting little return

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
ToKarski might be the best option available but I don't see it as the best fit for a trade...

Considering Tokarski cap hit, performance/ the way he performed in the playoff, the fact that we don't have anyone to take is place, his history won every where he when CHL, WJC, AHL... He has more value to Mtl, than is actual trade value, I don't think we are in a position to trade him considering the return we could get. Even If it was in a package I don't MIN being a great trade partner since they either have player we don't want or player they wouldn't give up or player that we have trouble fitting under the cap...

No team from the west will help them out unless they want Scrivens or Fasth from the Oilers

Svedberg seem like he be the cheapest option, Boston doesn't need him with Subban waitting and Boston probably could use some changes.
The only issue is Boston Cap situation.

Reimer might cost a little more than Svedberg but he is a bit more proven, Bernier is the man in Toronto and Toronto NEEDS to make some changes, unloading Reimer actually clear some cap space.

Ward is having trouble moving probably won't help him

We could likely get Boods back for a song.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Plekanec, Tokarski, 2nd for Koivu

I love Koivu I think he be a upgrade over Plek, it also kind of correct the mistake of not being able to draft him in 2001 when MTL should have tank, they could drop as much as 4 spots and definately 1 to be able to draft Koivu.

But I'm not sure I'm willing to add a 2nd round pick
Is contract might cause cap issue at some point... 3 more years at 6,75M$ vs. Plek 1 years 5M$ (Probably resign at less then 6,75M$)
Koivu put up better numbers but he also probably had better linemate and PP time, Plek as more point than Koivu this year with MM taken a lot of the Dzone faceoff
only one year younger than Plek
Plek missed like 11 games in 9 years and Koivu misses over 11 games per season...
Koivu hasn't really performed in the playoff or not at the same rate, Plek pretty much keep the same pace.
Also the wild need to win now so I don't see them trading Koivu for that package

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad