Rumor: Minnesota might be looking to trade for Tokarski

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Awkward trading partners. They don't really have anything we need unless they're looking to give us Niederreiter or Coyle or Scandella. Something I doubt greatly.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
I really doubt the return would be worth it for us, a 3rd or 4th rounder ain't worth it. I'd rather keep Tokarski unless they're willing to trade a guy like Nino or Coyle which I doubt

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Tokarski is such a good fit for us atm, you'd have to overpay ridiculously to pry him away... and who overpays ridiculously for a backup goalie? (don't see any NHL team projecting Tokarski as a starter). Anyway, the article just reads like the author throwing around all the names of the decent backups in the league, and not really based on anything.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Tokarski is such a good fit for us atm, you'd have to overpay ridiculously to pry him away... and who overpays ridiculously for a backup goalie? (don't see any NHL team projecting Tokarski as a starter). Anyway, the article just reads like the author throwing around all the names of the decent backups in the league, and not really based on anything.

That's the most accurate statement I've read all day!!

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
(don't see any NHL team projecting Tokarski as a starter)

Uh... why not? He looks really solid fundamentally, has performed well in his limited NHL opportunities, and already had 4 straight years of 45-55 game seasons at the AHL level before starting to back Price up full-time. What would their reservations be?

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
If the return is interesting, of course. I find Tokarski to be a good backup but so was Budaj. Some players could be interesting on the Wild... like Nino. We need size and depth on the wings.

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom
Montreal needs to evaluate whether Tokarski's value will evEr get higher than it is right now, if they believe he'll never have more value than it would be time to trade him. I don't see his value getting any higher in a backup role behind price unless price gets injured and Tokarski gets a bunch of starts.

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
If the return is interesting, of course. I find Tokarski to be a good backup but so was Budaj. Some players could be interesting on the Wild... like Nino. We need size and depth on the wings.

No way we would get Nino for Tokarski.

The Wild have been rumoured to be interested in several goalies lately, I doubt Tokarski will be the one they end up trading for.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Uh... why not? He looks really solid fundamentally, has performed well in his limited NHL opportunities, and already had 4 straight years of 45-55 game seasons at the AHL level before starting to back Price up full-time. What would their reservations be?

Think because he wasn't drafted early, not much hype and spent a long time in the AHL leaves question marks. Personally, I think he's got what it takes, just needs to prove it at NHL level for a few more seasons, pretty much Price would have to get hurt and he leads the way like he did in the playoffs that one year.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
This article is ridiculous...who's going to offer anything of significance to the Habs for a backup

not to mention the Habs won't trade Tokarski without getting another goalie back

Trades that involve goalies are a different animal than forwards and defensmen

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
You don't think teams would have reservations about looking at Tokarski as a starter? I mean, maybe as a short term patch if you were really struggling and had nobody of note (like Edmonton)... or maybe Minnesota is even in that kind of spot now with their guys (hence the article)... but for the long haul? I like Tokarski lots, always have, but he still doesn't have the ideal size for the modern NHL goalie, and seems to put a lot of rebounds out in play.

In that way, perhaps sort of like Halak a few years back, and with time Halak managed to morph into an asset with good trade value and become a decentish NHL starter. Tokarski still needs a bit more exposure before he can reach that status though. I don't think he has demonstrated the quickness of Halak either. He could get there, I'm not saying it's impossible, I just don't see any NHL team actually banking on that atm. :dunno:

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
I'm assuming they would also trade somebody like Backstrom back to us, since they would have no need for his cap on the roster, but then that would mean this trade because a cap dump and therefore they also have to send a 2 or perhaps a 1st along with him. However, I doubt MB would want to be on the hook for 3.5 million for this season and next season, especially if the salary cap won't raise by much, so that increases the additions the Wild have to add.

In other words, it doesn't make sense for either team.

Hawkeye71980

Sep 15, 2009
New Brunswick
The trick right now with Montreal is we have another young star coming up in the next few years in Fucale. So Tokarski was never going to be a long term Hab, and like someone said, his value is never going to be higher than right now. Minny ins also a perfect fit for him as they are a very defensive team, like the Habs and they have other goalies to turn to if he falters.

I figure Minny is trying to unload the troublesome Harding or Backstrom for him. which would be fine as a shortterm stop gap until Fucale is ready. But I would want another throw in with those guys like a 2nd rounder or something.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Habs can't assume that Fucale will ever be an NHLer yet. He's not going to be a factor in their thinking. (Good prospect, like him, but it's still too far off and too much development time still to come before we'll have an idea of his NHL potential).

Tokarski has to be looked at as our "perfect fit" backup for at least the next 2-3 years... he's on a sweet deal next year, and still RFA IIRC after that, really good situation for the Habs. If Fucale ever pans out, so much the better, it will give us options down the road. But cross that bridge only if it ever materializes... it is just fantasy in the meantime.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
I figure Minny is trying to unload the troublesome Harding or Backstrom for him. which would be fine as a short term stop gap until Fucale is ready. But I would want another throw in with those guys like a 2nd rounder or something.

This season Tokarski has been much better in net than Backstrom, his contract is not attractive for a backup, and Harding's health issues make him virtually untradeable. No competent GM is taking either in a trade.

TroyM

Jan 23, 2004
BG droppin truth bombs [ie: 'things i agree with', the most objective of truths] all over this thread.

With only Condon/Joey Mac in the pipe right now this would be dangerous gamble IMO for a likely crap return. Can't see it happening in any way unless again the return is huge which... it won't be. Keep the man behind Carey, and lets enjoy this tandem while seeing with Fucale/Condon can do for at least another year or two. Dat Tokarski contract, mm.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->