Rumor: Minnesota might be looking to trade for Tokarski

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
He was outstanding until Price got injured.

Could be he lost some confidence. I'd spend a 6th or 5th rounder to get him back.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Tokarski is such a good fit for us atm, you'd have to overpay ridiculously to pry him away... and who overpays ridiculously for a backup goalie? (don't see any NHL team projecting Tokarski as a starter). Anyway, the article just reads like the author throwing around all the names of the decent backups in the league, and not really based on anything.

Tokarski is pretty close to a starter. He is probably in the top 40 Gs and he is not getting a lot of opportunities so he might be top 30. Not saying they would overpay for that, but it is possible.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Clearly, if Minny is hot on Tokarski you add on to get a useful player. Otherwise, it's a useless move.

LastRide

Feb 18, 2008
The wild are looking for a guy to step now I doutb they are looking at Fucale, also Fucale value might be even less then Tokarski, might be taking a big risk trading a asset base on a few games and getting little return

Toke or Fucale might be a better option as part of package to land a player from the Oilers. They need a goalie too. If the Wild are willing to part with a player that can actually help us out, or a good prospect. Than it might be worth a look.

We are stuck with no solid backup. I am not so sure MB does this unless he has something up his sleeve.

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
You don't understand how teams deal with good goalies looking ready to establish themselves who are blocked behind better goalies who are already established and not going anywhere? This isn't a new phenomenon in the NHL... It's not about "fixing what ain't broke", it's about not screwing a kid's career just to keep him as long as you can on the "just in case" shelf. This isn't a video game where such things don't matter.

You know nothing about developing goalies. The majority of good goalies in the NHL have spent 2.5 years in the AHL and then 2.5 years as a back up before they were legit starters.

I'm obviously excluding blue chip goalies drafted in the top 5.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Tokarski is such a good fit for us atm, you'd have to overpay ridiculously to pry him away... and who overpays ridiculously for a backup goalie? (don't see any NHL team projecting Tokarski as a starter). Anyway, the article just reads like the author throwing around all the names of the decent backups in the league, and not really based on anything.

The Leafs did it for Bernier. The Devils did it for Schneider. Granted he wasn't a true backup but he wasn't a true starter either. If they're interested, they must figure he has what it takes to be a starter and I agree with them. He's a starter. His bad luck is he's behind one of the top 3-5 goalies in the world.

How many more games you figure Tokarski will play this year? 6? 7? For those worried about driving around without a spare, part of the deal could be they send us one of their back up - Kuemper.

Jeeze, I just went to look at their prospect pool and they have next to nothing down on the farm. And people on this board complain about Timmins.

The Wild management will probably not want to give up anything on their roster but they got diddly squat in their prospect pool.

How about a 1st, Chuck Fletcher?:naughty:

Habs: Tokarski and a 5th let's say.
Wild: 1st and Keumper

Kick them when they're down, I say. I'm willing to trade Tokarski if they're willing to over pay; otherwise go elsewhere, Chuckie.

Last edited:

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Barring a overpayment I rather that we keep Tokarski.

Excellent back-up who can fill-in for an injured starter. What more can we ask for? Unless we are getting an early round pick, or a solid young roster player I'm not interested in trading him.

canadiensnation

Jun 11, 2011
GTA
The wild should go after Reimer or Ward instead of backups like Toker, Svedberg etc..

With Kuemper and one of Reimer or Ward you create a decent 1a, 1b situation albeit not the best tandem but better than what they have now.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
Tokarski

for

Kahkonen and/or a 2nd? Only way I could see us doing this is if a goalie in their system interests us and they're giving away a pick with it.

Somebody said Vanek, I doubt they're going to give up on him yet.

The wild should go after Reimer or Ward instead of backups like Toker, Svedberg etc..

With Kuemper and one of Reimer or Ward you create a decent 1a, 1b situation albeit not the best tandem but better than what they have now.

I agree, however it's likely because they don't want to pay the price a 1a/1b would cost, especially one like Ward where it's really no guarantee he'll perform.

They're probably thinking they have nothing to lose by inquiring about a 2a here or there (especially one with potential to be a 1b) because it could be a lot cheaper and yield a very similar result. I can't see Toker blowing games left and right for them, and while he won't steal you any games either probably, he's a safer option than Ward is if the price is right. Imagine how bad they'd be off if they got Ward paying a hefty price and he sucked? I don't think Minny is good enough a team to trade away the future just yet. Imo, very smart idea by their GM to look into cheaper options.

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
No reason to trade Tokarsky for a pick unless if its a 1st ans I think the Wild would like to stay strong so why not a "Toc Toc trade"

Tokarsky + future consideration vs Alex Tuch

HabsDieHard*

Wonder if a package of Tokarski, Pateryn and Desharnais could get something decent for the habs??

Not sure there is a real logical fit right now in a deal involving Tokarski, unless they add something substantial to get a solid piece what is the point?

Almost without a doubt any trade involving Tokarski will hurt the Habs' NHL goalie depth.

If a team would give up a 2nd or a 3rd in 2015? Maybe you have to consider it, but no team is doing that I don't think.

HabsDieHard*

Tokarski

They're probably thinking they have nothing to lose by inquiring about a 2a here or there (especially one with potential to be a 1b) because it could be a lot cheaper and yield a very similar result. I can't see Toker blowing games left and right for them, and while he won't steal you any games either probably, he's a safer option than Ward is if the price is right. Imagine how bad they'd be off if they got Ward paying a hefty price and he sucked? I don't think Minny is good enough a team to trade away the future just yet. Imo, very smart idea by their GM to look into cheaper options.

I agree with you but it has to be worthwhile for the Habs too. Tokarski as a decent/solid back up at undre 600K for another season after this one and still restricted is a great deal for the Habs.

Can't expect Fucale to come in and play NHL back up any time soon, and it's likely they get a more expensive inferior replacement.

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
Wonder if a package of Tokarski, Pateryn and Desharnais could get something decent for the habs??

Not sure there is a real logical fit right now in a deal involving Tokarski, unless they add something substantial to get a solid piece what is the point?

Almost without a doubt any trade involving Tokarski will hurt the Habs' NHL goalie depth.

If a team would give up a 2nd or a 3rd in 2015? Maybe you have to consider it, but no team is doing that I don't think.

No interest for a 2nd pick to lose a solid back up able to go somewhere if Price is Kreidered

Strat

Nov 24, 2011
Toronto
Never liked Tokarski. Quite often out of position, makes himself small in nets, can't play the puck out of the net, and gives huge rebounds very often.

As a result, the whole team has to play crazy defense. He won't last long in the league. I'd do the trade in a heartbeat.

HabsDieHard*

No interest for a 2nd pick to lose a solid back up able to go somewhere if Price is Kreidered

I woudln't say I have no interest, it's a tough call.

Goalies don't have much trade value, back up goalies behind elite goalies will really never have great value.

At some point his contract demands will get a bit higher, and he might realize some more of his potential as well...so trading him will likely be a consideration at some point.

bigtimehockeyfan999*

**** that they wont give us anything that's worth it...keep him

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Not unless this is some kind of huge overpayment. The Habs have nobody else to backup Price.

I can see some of the French press now...trade Tokarski and bring in Brodeur...

Shaby23

Mar 30, 2012
Quebec
If they want Tokarski, they better be ready to overpay for him. His value is only going to increase with the years.

HabsDieHard*

If they want Tokarski, they better be ready to overpay for him. His value is only going to increase with the years.

It might increase some, but he might just be worth a 3rd or 4th rounder in a couple of years as wlel. No guarantee at all his value goes up any.

I do agree though, no real reason to trade him unless it's a "blowed away" offer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad