Dreger: Minnesota in the market for a top 6 center

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I actually might take the flyer, if they want to be rid of him so bad.
Admittedly, aside from Trocheck his is about the only name that's come up in here that's all that interesting. If we were looking to take a flyer on someone he wouldn't be a bad choice, but being overloaded with forwards makes it hard to do that. Adding him would require bumping someone from the team and if he doesn't work at center we're stuck with another $5.5m winger.

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If I can, how can you ask for a top 6 center and after that say 'but you have the take a cap hit dumb in Rask" ?

Because Turris probably isn’t a top 6 center and he’s not worth any of our wingers who have salary attached to them.

In a deal for an actual top 6 center (Trochek, as an example) we wouldn’t need to send Rask back because he’s valuable enough to send a Fiala/Zucker/etc back.

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Didn't Carter threaten to retire last time it was rumored he'd be on the move?

NO it was just a article and speculation. The writer in question looked at the no non trade movement clauses and saw his crappy play last year and tried to put two and two together. Jeff address this article in his exit speech last year to the media in which he stated something to the effect I have 20 games left to play till i hit 1000 games for my career. I hope to play theses in La but i realize its out of my control it is a business after all. Now with that said I am sure Blake would work with Jeff to make the move at least palatable

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Because Turris probably isn’t a top 6 center and he’s not worth any of our wingers who have salary attached to them.

In a deal for an actual top 6 center (Trochek, as an example) we wouldn’t need to send Rask back because he’s valuable enough to send a Fiala/Zucker/etc back.

Turris is certainly a top 6C.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Not this season, but I wonder if Krejci would be available from Boston next offseason. He would only have one year left on his deal, so the Wild probably not the right team for him unless they think a high end #2C is their "missing piece".

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Jeff Carter + a 7th round pick to Minnesota for a 7th round pick

If he retires, great! No harm done and the Kings clear his salary

If he reports, great! The Kings clear his salary and the Wild pick up a center
No chance in hell from La We don't need to clear salary actually We have over 6 million in space. If we do trade Jeff i can see it being a return of a prospect and conditional picks based on his production and playing so many games

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Turris is certainly a top 6C.

We’ll see if he’s actually any bit of an upgrade over either Koivu or Staal, either this season or future seasons. I doubt it though.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki

Turris isn't as bad as his reputation is right now. He had multiple +50 point seasons for Ottawa as their top 6C, and the team made the ECF with him down the middle.

Last calendar year has been bad obviously but it's a small sample size all things considered.

Desperate times call for desperate measures, and if he ends up as the best option next summer, i could definitely see the Wild swinging a trade for him - price shouldn't be that bad considering it helps the Preds keeping Josi. Wild's roster is also pretty set for next year as well, so if the cap goes up like it probably does they don't necessarily need to shed cap (at least Rask-much) to make room.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Turris isn't as bad as his reputation is right now. He had multiple +50 point seasons for Ottawa as their top 6C, and the team made the ECF with him down the middle.

Last calendar year has been bad obviously but it's a small sample size all things considered.

Desperate times call for desperate measures, and if he ends up as the best option next summer, i could definitely see the Wild swinging a trade for him - price shouldn't be that bad considering it helps the Preds keeping Josi. Wild's roster is also pretty set for next year as well, so if the cap goes up like it probably does they don't necessarily need to shed cap (at least Rask-much) to make room.

I can’t see a scenario where we’ll commit that much to Turris for that long without sending cap back or Nashville retaining.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Can't see any team that'd be willing to part with a legit top 6 C atp. A guy like Trochek isn't realistically available. They'll have to settle for an older player with baggage or use some foresight and try to pry a young, up and comer who they think has a good chance of developing into the role now or in the near future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad