Dreger: Minnesota in the market for a top 6 center

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Not to the extent that Hayes is. Look at some of the other guys in the 6.5M-7.5M range. Hayes is a 45-50 point player. He doesn't deserve that money for that term. He took Fletcher to task because they desperately needed a 2C. He's being paid similarly to Tarasenko, Bergeron, Anders Lee, Ryan O'Reilly, Joe Pavelski. He isn't anywhere near those guys.

And UFA's tend to get the most that someone will pay them, which often isn't what they "deserve". I'm definitely not saying the Hayes deal as a good one. I'm saying that top 6 UFA centers in their late 20's don't tend to sign "fair" deals.

Most of those guys you listed signed their deals 4 or 5 years ago, so their cap number isn't all that relevant today.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Yes you were backtracking. You said 40 goal 80 point winger, and then in your next response started talking about him being a 30 goal scorer. 2 very different things. Its much easier to claim 30 goalscorer than it is 40 +80 and you knew that.

Right, so what I actually said was that I expect he can come over and be a 30 goal first line winger. Then, in regard to another post I said I think he's more likely to be a 40 goal, 80 point winger, which would make him a top 15 winger last season, than Trochek is to be a top 15 center. I did not say he's going to be a 40 goal, 80 point winger. There was no backtracking. It's two completely separate and largely unrelated statements.

What top 6 center are you getting without giving up Kaprizov or Dumba. Even Kaprisov wouldn't be enough as I have said. Propose a realistic trade in your eyes.
Yes you keep citing the O'Rielly and Duchene deals. Yes O'Rielly got traded for nothing, but it'd be impossible to argue that as a precedent. That deal is one of the worst trades in recent memory. Duchene got traded for a lot of futures, so much so, that Ottawa (who is symbolizing Minny in this case) would have been much better off keeping their futures. Seguin again an absolutely horrible deal that only went through because of how bad Chia is as a GM. None of the trades you refer to are fair, nor the norm, so I'm not why you think you will be able to steal a young elite 1C like Seguin, because those happen once every decade.

How many trades need to go through for these types of guys before it's the norm? Can you show me more examples of top 6 centers being traded for more than what Duchene (twice), O'Reilly (twice) and Seguin were traded for? Because as far as I'm concerned, if deals keep happening where top 6 centers are traded for disappointing or underwhelming returns, and I can point to 5 of them, and you can only point to the Barrie/Kadri deal, well it seems the deals I'm citing ARE in fact, the norm.

As far as packages that compare to these, We have a plethora of wingers such as Zucker, Fiala, Donato, Greenway. We have other young centers such as Kunin and Eriksson Ek. prospects such as Boldy, Johansson, Belpedio who all carry varying degrees of value. We have pretty much all of our draft picks, if not all of them. We could easily put together a package comparable to the returns those guys got that don't include Dumba or Kaprizov.

Kaprisov isn't worth close to a 70 point decently young player, because he himself only has a chance of becoming just that.

I didn't once say that's the value he carried, I said there's no reason to trade him unless that's the value we're getting back.
Oh and by the way, Brannstrom isn't on Kaprizov's level. He's at least one good step below.

Anyway, I hope this clarifies things for you. It seems you maybe skimmed over all my prior posts and just saw what you wanted to see, and not what I actually said.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
And UFA's tend to get the most that someone will pay them, which often isn't what they "deserve". I'm definitely not saying the Hayes deal as a good one. I'm saying that top 6 UFA centers in their late 20's don't tend to sign "fair" deals.

Most of those guys you listed signed their deals 4 or 5 years ago, so their cap number isn't all that relevant today.

And I'm saying that even as far as UFA deals go, Hayes' is bad. I'm not going to fret about giving RNH 9Mx7 in free agency just because Hayes got 7Mx7 when he should have gotten 5.5Mx5. I'm not going to assume Kevin Hayes' contract is the standard set going forward.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
And I'm saying that even as far as UFA deals go, Hayes' is bad. I'm not going to fret about giving RNH 9Mx7 in free agency just because Hayes got 7Mx7 when he should have gotten 5.5Mx5. I'm not going to assume Kevin Hayes' contract is the standard set going forward.

I'm probably going to assume it until a UFA signing period occurs with more "reasonable" deals than not. Hayes got what he got because he was a commodity with bargaining power. RNH, should he get there, is probably going to be and have more of both. Plus it's another 2 years of cap raises away.

I guess I envy your optimism. I'll just put it that way.

Shnooks

Apr 18, 2017
I can't help but laugh at these kind of reports...

Newsflash, every team in the league would like to get a top-6 center...and half of the league actually need them and are actively looking for one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad