Dreger: Minnesota in the market for a top 6 center

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Didn't Carter threaten to retire last time it was rumored he'd be on the move?

Nope. That was speculation by a reporter. Carter then up and said he wouldn’t be retiring, even if the Kings moved him.

Carter, Toffoli, Prokhorkin, all available. Kempe too, perhaps, for something of much greater value.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Unless Koivu's hurting and last I heard he was doing great, I don't think they really need a top calibre C. I think they need a top 6-9 C though. As unflashy as a Staal, Koivu 1-2 punch down the middle is, it's really not that bad in terms of 2-way prowess, at least for this season. In the next couple of years they could be in trouble as Koivu and Staal get even more up there. But really, I stand by what I said, I don't think the team needs a big time C to find success.

Reactions: _Del_

FanTheFlames

Aug 20, 2017
I dont think minny needs any more c depth atleast not this upcoming season, but what do you think about something like this.

Backlund
C(30 yrs 5.35m .6ppg last 3 years)
Frolik Rw (31 yrs 4.3m .47ppg last 3 years) Jankowski C (25 yrs 1.675m .37ppg last 2 years)
Cap Going 11.325m

For

Zucker Rw (27 yrs 5.5m .6ppg last 3 years) Hartman Rw (25 yrs 1.9m .35ppg last 3 years)
Foligno Rw (28 yrs 2.875m .27ppg last 3 years)
Cap Going 10.275m

Cgy Cap $81, 108, 275
Minny Cap $77, 591, 089

Both teams cap compliant, Flames get marginally younger and upgrade the rw depth while keeping a full roster.The wild get a top 6 c now, Jankowski who would be a perfect fit for Staals replacement on line 3 and frolik on a 1 year deal instead of foligno on a 2 year deal.

Backlund = Zucker
Frolik > Foligno
Jankowksi = Hartman

Cgy Aftermath
Gaudreau Monahan Lindholm
Tkachuk Bennett Zucker
Mangiapane Ryan Hartman
Lucic Dube Foligno
Quine/Czarnik

Minny Aftermath

Parise Koivu Zuccarello
Fiala Backlund Frolik
Rask Staal Donato
Eriksson ek Jankowski Brown

Who adds and who subtracts
(also kinda forgot about rask but that man seems to have fallen off a cliff since leaving Carolina could be a solid 2nd line C himself if he finds his game again)

Last edited:

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Assuming the Wild are looking for quality, i don't think there's anyone available realistically. Now or later in the season.

Things don't look any better for next UFA group. Brayden Schenn is the only impending UFA who classifies as a top 6 C who might hit the market. But Minny won't be the only team interested.

There's a reason why a guy like Hayes got 7M. Last couple summers were exceptions in that we had players like JT and Duchene hit the market and switch teams. But the fun is over for now and high impact centers are once again borderline impossible to get.

The best player i can come up with who they could trade for is like Alex Wennberg.. which is not ideal. But a reclamation project like that is probably going to be the only option.

I personally think their situation down the middle is what ultimately forces them into a rebuild. But if Guerin can pull a rabbit out of his hat i'll be impressed.

It's a shame that the Wild haven't been able to draft anyone capable. This is where they should be having a young guy taking a bigger role.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Assuming the Wild are looking for quality, i don't think there's anyone available realistically. Now or later in the season.

Things don't look any better for next UFA group. Brayden Schenn is the only impending UFA who classifies as a top 6 C who might hit the market. But Minny won't be the only team interested.

There's a reason why a guy like Hayes got 7M. Last couple summers were exceptions in that we had players like JT and Duchene hit the market and switch teams. But the fun is over for now and high impact centers are once again borderline impossible to get.

The best player i can come up with who they could trade for is like Alex Wennberg.. which is not ideal. But a reclamation project like that is probably going to be the only option.

I personally think their situation down the middle is what ultimately forces them into a rebuild. But if Guerin can pull a rabbit out of his hat i'll be impressed.

It's a shame that the Wild haven't been able to draft anyone capable. This is where they should be having a young guy taking a bigger role.

Agreed, but it's not for lack of effort. Someone on the Wild board mentioned recently how many centers the Wild have drafted with that in mind.
Going back to 2006, you've got James Sheppard, Mikael Granlund, Zach Phillips, Luke Kunin and Eriksson Ek that were drafted in the 1st round with that specifically in mind, none of whom panned out as a center (or at all in some cases). Add into that the centers they've drafted that were drafted for the skill but were longer shots like Erik Haula, Johan Larsson, Tyler Graovac, Avery Peterson, and Mason Shaw. This franchise just sucks at drafting and developing center talent.

In the last two years they've really focused down on centers drafting Jack McBain, Alex Khovanov, Connor Dewar and Matyev Guskov as potential top 6 centers. Can't wait to see those guys become wingers.

Reactions: Goldeneye

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
I could see Holland entertaining offers on RNH either at the deadline or in the summer but I don't think the Wild have the type of package of futures that would make it worthwhile.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
What would they offer for Trochek? If Borgstrom breaks out in a big way things might get a little more interesting.

Zero chance that Florida lets Trocheck go with that combo of production, salary and locker room influence. Certainly not for futures and it would hurt big time for the acquirer. Forget last year, he came back too quickly from the injury.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
If you want a bonafide 2C, I'm sure we'd trade Tierney. Better suited at 3C in my opinion, but didn't look completely out of place last year. Probably costs a 2020 2nd+.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
While I don't doubt that what Dreger said is true, it seems less like last minute shopping for this season and more like Guerin making it to #3 on his New Minnesota GM Catch-Up List:

1.) Re-sign RFAs
2.) Extend/trade Spurgeon
3.) Gauge the market for centers
4.) Figure out a succession plan in goal

A young top-6 center has been an ongoing need for about a decade now, and it'll get more acute after this season when Koivu's contract expires and Staal's a year older. But for this season we're better off rolling with what we have, seeing if any of Kunin, Ek, Rask or even Donato can hack it at 2C, and going from there next summer. If something drops into our laps out of the blue, great, but it's not the time to force a trade.

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad