Dreger: Minnesota in the market for a top 6 center

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Dreger speculated that the Wild are a player in trade talks early in the season. States that Geurin knows they need a top 6 center.

I know that there aren't a lot available, I know it's not a time when big moves usually happen. I'm just curious about what guys could possibly be moved in the right deal. Young, older, whatever, doesn't matter at this point.

So who on your team could realistically be made available?

He mentions that Geurin is prepared to use winger depth, prospects, draft picks to get it done. Let's assume Dumba is off the table (I realize this is going to draw out a lot of comments like, "if you're not going to give up anything valuable you're not going to get a top 6 player", but we'll see how it goes).

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Really tough needle to thread this time of year.
I know, but it's "official speculation" and I just want to see who out there could be available.

They need more than that to be close to contending. Also not easy to pry from a team at this point in the season
No one said it would make us contenders, but it certainly doesn't hurt to try.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Jeff Carter perhaps (if he still qualifies as a top 6 c) Last years season probably scares off most punters though.

I'd imagine they want someone better than Koivu for the top 6 center spot, and I don't think anyone would consider Carter to be better than Koivu.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Jeff Carter perhaps (if he still qualifies as a top 6 c) Last years season probably scares off most punters though.

I can see Carter being an option at least. Don't know if we could really fit his 5.25 cap hit for the players we'd want to move in that deal though. Maybe some salary retention?

If you look at his seasons before last, he's a solid 60+ center. Who knows if he can return to that.

I'd imagine they want someone better than Koivu for the top 6 center spot, and I don't think anyone would consider Carter to be better than Koivu.

Offensively he still could be, which I think is the main motivation. Move Koivu officially to a shutdown role instead of having him be so involved in the offense.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Didn't Carter threaten to retire last time it was rumored he'd be on the move?

Jeff Carter + a 7th round pick to Minnesota for a 7th round pick

If he retires, great! No harm done and the Kings clear his salary

If he reports, great! The Kings clear his salary and the Wild pick up a center

Reactions: Yannickg

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Jeff Carter + a 7th round pick to Minnesota for a 7th round pick

If he retires, great! No harm done and the Kings clear his salary

If he reports, great! The Kings clear his salary and the Wild pick up a center

We can’t take his cap hit without LA retaining or sending a cap dump back (Rask)

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
I mean it's pretty obvious we'd be in the market for a top six center because we've been in that state for 90% of the existence of the franchise. I don't think there's much out there that would be appealing (ie not a reclamation project we get lucky on like Staal) we could get without trading Dumba. And i do NOT want to do that.

Reactions: Morrison

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
If Buff is expected to come back, then I'm sure Winnipeg can make a move to stay under the cap, but it will hurt their depth.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Turris for Fiala. :)
That's a little too mean though. Turris... well, he has been a valid NHL #2 center in the past, and really only just had last year's injury interregnum... but it's fair with his contract for everybody and their dog to be wary. He should cost a whole lot less than Fiala, anyway.

The Preds aren't really looking for anything though, and don't have any need to free up the cap space right now... so I imagine Poile is probably not looking to move Turris at a "fair price" (which is basically nothing). But for me... I mean give me Rask to make the cap space and some modest prospect or pick, that'd work. I think Turris would probably work out ok as a #2C. But we don't have a really clear role for him.

I'd just waive Rask and sign Brian Boyle. And consider that a decent fit to our team needs. Minny can try Turris. He'll probably do ok.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Turris is the best option out there that won’t cost an arm and a leg, but pretty big risk there considering contract and term.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Turris is the best option out there that won’t cost an arm and a leg, but pretty big risk there considering contract and term.
Rask would have to be going back to make it work. And I don’t see much going back with him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad