Dreger: Minnesota in the market for a top 6 center

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Good old American kid Ryan Poehling for Kaprizov?

Not sure Claude Julien would like that - nor Wild fans, but who know? Fit needs for sure

Kotkaniemi is the return for Kaprizov.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
The wild don’t have too many valuable pieces, so removing Dumba I doubt anyone will offer up a real top 6 C.

Maybe something like Carter who is way past prime and probably more a middle 6C rather than a 2C at this point

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
The wild don’t have too many valuable pieces, so removing Dumba I doubt anyone will offer up a real top 6 C.

Maybe something like Carter who is way past prime and probably more a middle 6C rather than a 2C at this point
I hate the idea of moving Dumba, but if someone's offering a center of similar value and quality the Wild should be listening. Overall we probably have the depth at RD to absorb the hit, if that's what it takes.

I can't remember the last time I saw someone make an offer worth considering, though.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Kaprizov
1st round picks
2nd round picks
Boldy
Brodin
Staal
Fiala
Greenway
That's kinda weak because everyteam has 1st and 2nd round picks so I don't get the point of listing those. Kaprizov is a good prospect but unknown and is unsure if he will even play for your team. Boldy just got drafted as a middle 1st rounder, all teams have similar tier prospects. Fiala is going into his d+7 season, and only had 7 points in his last 19 games with Minny, he has value, but who is going to give up a good/great center for him. Staal is about to be 35 and will be a UFA at the end of next season, no one is giving up a longterm piece for him. Greenway is going into his D+5 season, and had 24 points in a full season last year. He has value because of his size and age, but how is he any different than someone like Puljujarvi who is over a year younger and has even more pedigree?
Brodin does have value and I think with the right fit and adds could get a 2nd line center. But at the end of the day he has very little offense and is a solid defensively #4, so you'd have to find a team looking for exactly that to be willing to move a C.

Im not saying the wild have no valuable pieces, and obviously if they packaged every valuable piece they had they could get someone great, but they'd never do that. If you're trying to get a younger 2C who has at least 2 years of term, there isn't a whole lot the wild could offer that would move the needle for that other team. Dumba is the main piece. With him gone, no team is moving their solid 2C for some non-blue chip prospects and picks. So you're left with older players,good 3Cs who could play up, or maybe someone who needs a change of scenery (but no one comes to mind).

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
That's kinda weak because everyteam has 1st and 2nd round picks so I don't get the point of listing those. Kaprizov is a good prospect but unknown and is unsure if he will even play for your team. Boldy just got drafted as a middle 1st rounder, all teams have similar tier prospects. Fiala is going into his d+7 season, and only had 7 points in his last 19 games with Minny, he has value, but who is going to give up a good/great center for him. Staal is about to be 35 and will be a UFA at the end of next season, no one is giving up a longterm piece for him. Greenway is going into his D+5 season, and had 24 points in a full season last year. He has value because of his size and age, but how is he any different than someone like Puljujarvi who is over a year younger and has even more pedigree?
Brodin does have value and I think with the right fit and adds could get a 2nd line center. But at the end of the day he has very little offense and is a solid defensively #4, so you'd have to find a team looking for exactly that to be willing to move a C.

Im not saying the wild have no valuable pieces, and obviously if they packaged every valuable piece they had they could get someone great, but they'd never do that. If you're trying to get a younger 2C who has at least 2 years of term, there isn't a whole lot the wild could offer that would move the needle for that other team. Dumba is the main piece. With him gone, no team is moving their solid 2C for some non-blue chip prospects and picks. So you're left with older players,good 3Cs who could play up, or maybe someone who needs a change of scenery (but no one comes to mind).
Can you list the top 6 centers that are both available and worth Matt Dumba?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

At a certain point it's less about nitpicking the value of what the Wild have to offer and more about a lack of targets. We're on the doorstep of the season and no one's going to be looking to trade a good center right now. Even putting Dumba "on the table" isn't going to open up the options much (ignoring the fact that trading him for a 2C would be stupid to begin with).

We'll have to bide our time and see what comes up over the next few months.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Can you list the top 6 centers that are both available and worth Matt Dumba?
Well available I can't speak to, but if a GM is calling with the wild, losing your 2C is a huge blow to your team, I think only adding back a #2D would mitigate that loss. Nothing else the wild could offer wouldn't immediately weaken your team.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
At a certain point it's less about nitpicking the value of what the Wild have to offer and more about a lack of targets. We're on the doorstep of the season and no one's going to be looking to trade a good center right now. Even putting Dumba "on the table" isn't going to open up the options much (ignoring the fact that trading him for a 2C would be stupid to begin with).

We'll have to bide our time and see what comes up over the next few months.
I agree. I think biding your time is the best move for the wild. And there is always a lack of targets for centers, and RHD for that matter, thus why a hypothetical trade including one would likely include the other imo. Unless theres an overpay from 1 side.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I agree. I think biding your time is the best move for the wild. And there is always a lack of targets for centers, and RHD for that matter, thus why a hypothetical trade including one would likely include the other imo. Unless theres an overpay from 1 side.
Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. Kadri and Henrique went for RD; O'Reilly, Duchene/Turris (depending on how you do the math on that one) didn't. Like every year, eventually a few players that are "never available" will be. Until it happens there's really no anticipating what the price will be.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
The idea that we’d have to give up Dumba for a top 6 center is ridiculous. Kadri, Henrique, O’Reilly, Duchene... I wouldn’t give up Dumba for any of those guys. We could fairly easily put together a package for those caliber guys that doesn’t include Dumba.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
The idea that we’d have to give up Dumba for a top 6 center is ridiculous. Kadri, Henrique, O’Reilly, Duchene... I wouldn’t give up Dumba for any of those guys. We could fairly easily put together a package for those caliber guys that doesn’t include Dumba.
O'Rielly and Duchene are easily worth Dumba. Those are 1st line centers, not just 2nd line guys. The O'Rielly trade is historically bad, if you guys could emulate that then hats off to you. For Kadri they gave up a Dumba level player. Duchene, when traded Ottawa, got taken to the cleaners on futures. Henrique really isn't that good imo, but Vatanen is still a top 4 RHD. So yes, the Wild would have to give up some serious value.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
O'Rielly and Duchene are easily worth Dumba. Those are 1st line centers, not just 2nd line guys. The O'Rielly trade is historically bad, if you guys could emulate that then hats off to you. For Kadri they gave up a Dumba level player. Duchene, when traded Ottawa, got taken to the cleaners on futures. Henrique really isn't that good imo, but Vatanen is still a top 4 RHD. So yes, the Wild would have to give up some serious value.

We can give up value without giving up Dumba. Dumba is more valuable than any piece given up in any of those trades.

I can personally guarantee you, if we do end up landing a top 6 center in a trade somewhere down the line, Dumba won’t be one of the pieces involved.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Thinking that Tyson Barrie is a Dumba-level player, especially in terms of trade value, goes a long way toward explaining the last page of this thread.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Thinking that Tyson Barrie is a Dumba-level player, especially in terms of trade value, goes a long way toward explaining the last page of this thread.

If you want to say that Barrie for Kadri is the most indicative of what a 1 for 1 would look like, then Dumba gets us a 24ish year old 60-70 point center with potential for more.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I'm trying to think of the worst current NHL center that I'd consider giving up Kaprizov up for. I keep landing on Trocheck. I'm not saying that Florida would do it, and I'm not even saying that I would, but I think that's the kind of asset that it'd take: mid-20's, good contract, isn't hitting 70+ points consistently (because if he was, he'd be too good to be considered) but has flashed the ability. It's probably more likely that he's the 50+ point player that he's been in 3 of is 4 seasons, but he's playing behind a #1 so you never know.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
If you want to say that Barrie for Kadri is the most indicative of what a 1 for 1 would look like, then Dumba gets us a 24ish year old 60-70 point center with potential for more.
Signed at a reasonable AAV with a few years of term, to boot. And frankly I'd want someone a year or so younger than Dumba to account for the general difference in peak ages between forwards and defensemen, but that's me.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I'm trying to think of the worst current NHL center that I'd consider giving up Kaprizov up for. I keep landing on Trocheck. I'm not saying that Florida would do it, and I'm not even saying that I would, but I think that's the kind of asset that it'd take: mid-20's, good contract, isn't hitting 70+ points consistently (because if he was, he'd be too good to be considered) but has flashed the ability. It's probably more likely that he's the 50+ point player that he's been in 3 of is 4 seasons, but he's playing behind a #1 so you never know.

If I was moving Kaprizov, it would be in a package for a consistent young 70+ point center. Otherwise I don’t see the reason to trade Kaprizov’s potential. We have 50 point centers and we’re looking for upgrades on them for a reason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad