Confirmed Signing with Link: [MIN] Wild sign Zucker to $27.5m deal (5 years, $5.5M AAV)

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Weird RFA situation. Could have forced his way to UFA next year if he wanted to, which was leverage in his favor. But he and his family are pretty soundly rooted to the Twin Cities at this point, which was leverage in the Wild's favor. Glad things didn't get ugly and we ended up with a deal that should have every pretty comfortable.

I'll echo what others have said about his underlying numbers (5v5 scoring, shooting%, etc.) not changing much last year. The jump in production did seem to be a factor of more powerplay time, which is a little weird because I've never been a huge fan of him on the powerplay. Maybe I'm just missing what he brings, though. Regardless, I think around 30 goals and around 60 points is a reasonable expectation for him if he sees the same usage and minutes. Don't know why he wouldn't.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
weird seeing the total value in the title. for a second i was very confused

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
One of those waterbug guys that has a nose for the net and always seems to be in the right place. Seems like exactly how much he should be making, which is a rare thing. Wild fans should be happy.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Good deal. Compared to a few deals that pay guys more and a few that are comparable, this is a good deal. He would have cost more on the market.

Give him the C.

dBoon

Sep 28, 2004
Some highlights:

He has speed, great hands, and a nose for the net. Very happy with this deal.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Not a bad deal at all market value wise. Solid two way player that advanced stats show is actually capable of consistent production around this level

Zucker's stats:

- big jump in power play time in 17/18 (2:11) compared to 16/17 (0:15)

- Significant increase in ice time 5v5 in 17/18 (16:58) compared to 16/17 (15:11)

- A small, but reasonable increase in shot percentage in 17/18 (14.9) compared to 16/17 (12.8), which is also right around his career average (also 12.8)

- positive corsi player (50.7)

This just reads like a player benefiting from increased ice time on more offensive situations instead of it being a player somehow making more than he should out of less opportunities. The power play ice time increase probably being the catalyst imo.

Wild did well here imo. Solid 30 goal guy in his prime with a deal that takes him into his 30's.

Reactions: Riptide

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Was a lot of talk heading into the offseason that guys like Niedereitter would be moved, primarily for cap reasons. They have a full roster now, but not a ton of breathing space.

There was zero talk that a guy like Nino would be moved primarily for cap space. The talk was due to Leipold and our new GM Fenton looking for a shakeup.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
This seems a bit high and I'd be shocked if he continues to put up 60 point seasons but if he can at least stay around ~55 it should be a really good deal

If he can continue to score 40-50 pts at ES every year, this will easily be worth the contract.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Weird RFA situation. Could have forced his way to UFA next year if he wanted to, which was leverage in his favor. But he and his family are pretty soundly rooted to the Twin Cities at this point, which was leverage in the Wild's favor. Glad things didn't get ugly and we ended up with a deal that should have every pretty comfortable.

I'll echo what others have said about his underlying numbers (5v5 scoring, shooting%, etc.) not changing much last year. The jump in production did seem to be a factor of more powerplay time, which is a little weird because I've never been a huge fan of him on the powerplay. Maybe I'm just missing what he brings, though. Regardless, I think around 30 goals and around 60 points is a reasonable expectation for him if he sees the same usage and minutes. Don't know why he wouldn't.
I'm not a fanof his on the pp either. He's a great player on the rush when he can use his speed, but the pp is about smart and fast puck movement in the offensive zone. He's a bit too sloppy for my tastes on pp. It doesn't fit his skills that well.

Defenders comeup and challenge him when he gets the puck, and either his puck handling or passing often lead to loss of possession.

I've always preferred Nino on the pp more.

That said, solid deal. Not a bargain, but at least it's not overpayment either.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Looks like Wild have full roster and a bit of breathing room. They’d likely need some help to make a trade deadline upgrade or two if they have a playoff caliber season but if they are content standing pat they appear good to go.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Looks like Wild have full roster and a bit of breathing room. They’d likely need some help to make a trade deadline upgrade or two if they have a playoff caliber season but if they are content standing pat they appear good to go.
Nope, cap is calculated daily, so the further the season goes with space, the more space they have to take on more cap.

By the trade deadline, most teams can afford to take on a quite high cap number player since the players required space is less, and the team's available space is more.

The Wild have more space entering this season than when they traded for Hanzel, and they didn't need to do much of anything to fit cap either.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I'd be shocked if Minnesota didn't make a significant trade before 7/1/19. It's good that Fenton's not rushing anything, but Leipold didn't bring a new GM in just to stay the course.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I'd be shocked if Minnesota didn't make a significant trade before 7/1/19. It's good that Fenton's not rushing anything, but Leipold didn't bring a new GM in just to stay the course.

But that would likely be a hockey trade. Not a futures for a rental or one of our current roster players for futures kind of deal.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Fair for both sides, but I would've preferred giving him a year if I was the GM. He had a lot of injuries in his career and this might be a career year too. There's a good chance he doesn't so as good next year... you can maybe sign him cheaper in this scenario.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad