Confirmed Signing with Link: [MIN] Wild sign Zucker to $27.5m deal (5 years, $5.5M AAV)

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Fair for both sides, but I would've preferred giving him a year if I was the GM. He had a lot of injuries in his career and this might be a career year too. There's a good chance he doesn't so as good next year... you can maybe sign him cheaper in this scenario.
Sign him cheaper when he's a UFA next summer? A 1 year deal was the worst case scenario here.

Reactions: mahnster

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Nope, cap is calculated daily, so the further the season goes with space, the more space they have to take on more cap.

By the trade deadline, most teams can afford to take on a quite high cap number player since the players required space is less, and the team's available space is more.

The Wild have more space entering this season than when they traded for Hanzel, and they didn't need to do much of anything to fit cap either.

So every day they have cap space the cap space accumulates and they have what at the trade deadline assuming a constant payroll?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Fair for both sides, but I would've preferred giving him a year if I was the GM. He had a lot of injuries in his career and this might be a career year too. There's a good chance he doesn't so as good next year... you can maybe sign him cheaper in this scenario.
Considering a 1year deal would make him a pending ufa next summer? That was never going to happen.

The only way he would have had a 1yr deal was from arbitration, and that would have been all but the end of him in Minnesota.

Reactions: mahnster

Lennu32

Oct 4, 2011
I like this a lot. Zucker has also good chemistry with Granlund and seems to be popular among teammates.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
So every day they have cap space the cap space accumulates and they have what at the trade deadline assuming a constant payroll?
I'd have to look at the math, but if I recall a couple years ago when the Wild traded for Hanzel, it was reported they had the room to take on a $7-8m aav player to finish the year.

Remember, only roughly a month and a half is left of a player's salary at that point, and the space available has multiplied itself for 5 months by that time.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I'd have to look at the math, but if I recall a couple years ago when the Wild traded for Hanzel, it was reported they had the room to take on a $7-8m aav player to finish the year.

Remember, only roughly a month and a half is left of a player's salary at that point, and the space available has multiplied itself for 5 months by that time.

I get that the player salary gets paid out and even the idea that if a player is sent down or on IR there is some extra cap space that can be carried but I didn’t think the unused cap stacks up every day so that if MN has 1.7 mil in space today it has 3.4 tomorrow?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I get that the player salary gets paid out and even the idea that if a player is sent down or on IR there is some extra cap space that can be carried but I didn’t think the unused cap stacks up every day so that if MN has 1.7 mil in space today it has 3.4 tomorrow?
No, the players cap is also calculated daily.

Thus as a player sits on the cap today, that's less of his total that sits on the cap tomorrow.

Thus like I said, the space multiplies itself, and the players cost less cap later at the same time.

Look at it like this...

A team that has $2m in cap space, has that space total for the season. Since the cap is counted daily, you break that $2m down over how many days covers the regular season. The days that space is unused gets added up as space still available to be used during the season.

So let's say 100 days for simplicity sake. That's $20k in more space every day.

A player costs $5m for that same period, so his daily cost on the cap is $50k.

That team can't afford him early in the season, but in the last 10 days of that 100? Sure they can.

Last edited:

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I actually disagree. The Dumba contract is bit of a bargain imo when you look at what both players bring to the table.

I’m looking at what Dumba is earning compared to a lot of better dmen and I don’t see it.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Dumbs and Zucker are our two most exciting players at the moment--glad to see them both fit in nicely under the cap. There really wasn't much doubt it was going to happen in my mind once Dumba got signed; always knew he was going to be the bigger contract.

Reactions: TaLoN

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I’m looking at what Dumba is earning compared to a lot of better dmen and I don’t see it.
Are you looking at actual comparable deals, or deals signed years ago under much lower cap conditions?

Also consider he's a top 3 defender on his team, playing 24minutes/ night and just had a 50pt season as a 23yro. Only the 15th defenseman to do that since 2005.

The Trouba arbitration award shows Dumba is a bargain at this point.

Reactions: rynryn

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
yup it is, as per 50.9.a of the 2013 CBA

NHL/NHLPA 2013 CBA

50.9 Issues Relating to Timing and Calculation of Actual Club Salary and Averaged Club
Salary.

(a) 5:00 p.m. Daily Deadline for Counting in Actual and Averaged Club Salary.
(i) For any Player who is on a Club's Active Roster, Injured Reserve, Injured
Non-Roster or Non-Roster pursuant to an approved and registered SPC at
5:00 p.m. New York time on a particular day during a League Year, such
Player shall receive his Player Salary and Bonuses for that day, and such
Player Salary and Bonuses shall be included in the calculation of the
Club's Actual Club Salary and Averaged Club Salary for that day.
(ii) In the event that an SPC is approved and registered after 5:00 p.m. New
York time on a particular day during a League Year, the Player that is
party to such SPC shall then be eligible to commence receiving Player
Salary and Bonuses in accordance with the terms of the SPC from that
Club – and such Player Salary and Bonuses shall be included in the Club's
Actual Club Salary and Averaged Club Salary – beginning at 5:00 p.m.
New York time on the following day.
(iii) Any Player who is not on a Club's Active Roster, Injured Reserve, Injured
Non-Roster or Non-Roster pursuant to an approved and registered SPC at
5:00 p.m. New York time on a particular day during a League Year shall
be ineligible to play for such Club on that day, and such Player shall be
ineligible to receive Player Salary and Bonuses from that Club for that
day.
(iv) Notwithstanding subparagraphs (i) through (iii) above, in the event that a
Player practices or travels with an NHL Club or plays in an NHL game
with a Club prior to 5:00 p.m. New York time on a particular day during a
League Year, and is subsequently removed from such Club's Active
Roster on that day (e.g., sent down to the minor leagues), such Player shall
receive his Player Salary and Bonuses for that day, and such Player Salary
and Bonuses shall be included in the Club's Actual Club Salary and
Averaged Club Salary for that day.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
A bit puzzled why people wouldn't be happy with that Dumba contract if it was your team given he's the kind of player everyone seems to be trying to get. Zucker is a solid top six wing and people need those but Dumba is a pretty rare beast.

Reactions: TaLoN

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
This is a good deal for the Wild.

He puts up numbers and I don't think he gets much Power Play time either.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
He's only 26? For some reason I thought he was a bit older than that. This seems like a reasonable contract (with the potential to be a bargain).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->