Confirmed Signing with Link: [MIN] Wild sign Zucker to $27.5m deal (5 years, $5.5M AAV)

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Maybe, but going by the discussions around Coyle I'm guessing fans aren't going to come to any agreement. Coyle's more valuable to the Wild (in my opinion), but Zucker should be more valuable on the trade market. There's also kind of a schism between Wild fans that are hot to trade him for a haul and those that want to keep him.

If we're talking futures, I'd want a 1st, a good forward prospect and a mid-round pick. The Sabres can probably afford to pay that if they want Zucker, but I don't think the sides (fans, anyway) would ever agree on which 1st and which prospect.
I'm sure a lot of Sabres fans would be quick to put Nylander on the table, fwiw :D

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I'm sure a lot of Sabres fans would be quick to put Nylander on the table, fwiw :D
My feelings about Nylander at this point are that he's about like Kunin with a lower floor and a higher ceiling. Which isn't bad; I think Kunin's a good prospect. But it's hard to justify giving up Coyle or Zucker if he's the main piece coming back, especially with his relatively flat numbers over the past few years. Kunin's the sort of guy that can be good even if he's not in a scoring role. Nylander isn't, and it's hard to tell if he's on the cusp of figuring it out or falling off the map.

The other problem with Nylander is that the drama with his brother makes it seem like there's no Best Case Scenario with him. If he does figure it out and puts up 50+ points before his next contract, are we suddenly looking at having to pay him $6m-$7m?

Reactions: Riptide and AKL

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I've got to disagree here. They've got Parise, Nino and Greenway as left-shot wingers even without Zucker, and some decent call-up options in the AHL behind them. He's the most valuable trade asset we have at our deepest position.

Well Zucker is better than two of those players, so I think his absence would be felt.

Last edited:
Reactions: ImNeverWrong

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Very good contract for a guy who should be good for 25-30+ goals and ~50 points during the contract. The fact that its buying so many UFA years is notable.

dBoon

Sep 28, 2004
His speed seems a notch lower than the explosive speed we've witnessed in the past. Maybe nursing a wound of some sort?

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Makes that Zucker/Stone thread from the summer look even sillier.

He's a good player, that any team would be lucky to have. Strongly doubt he'll ever reach the offensive heights he did last season though.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Borderline top line player is code for middle 6
He put up 33 goals and 64 points on the top line last year, and there's nothing flukey about those numbers. He shouldn't be the best player on that line, but he's absolutely shown an ability to play and produce 1st line numbers with 1st line talent. I'm not sure what else you'd call that.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
He put up 33 goals and 64 points on the top line last year, and there's nothing flukey about those numbers. He shouldn't be the best player on that line, but he's absolutely shown an ability to play and produce 1st line numbers with 1st line talent. I'm not sure what else you'd call that.

I'd like to see him reproduce anything remotely close to that before I call him a top line player. I think that contract is good even if he turns into a ~55 point player...he doesn't need to hit or beat last years 64 points, that would be gravy.

Rask Decisions

Don't take it too seriously
Jul 6, 2006
Keansburg NJ
Another worthless and bad contract by the Mild. Zucker is a limited player who is lucky to score above 20 goals/40 points on a contending team. It's contracts like this why the "Mild" are so terrible.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
The Wild should just take Okposo now and get it over with ..instead of waiting a few years :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad