Confirmed Signing with Link: [MIN] Wild sign Zucker to $27.5m deal (5 years, $5.5M AAV)

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
If that's his career year it'll be a rough contract. If he has a career of those years it'll be great.

Well you nailed it here and this looks like it's gonna be a bad contract.

Fresh off signing this he's been a very disappointing player this season with just 20 points in 37 games and merely the 7th leading point getter on Minny. Looks like last year was an aberration and his true talent level as an NHL scorer is a 40ish kind of guy like he's been in other years and like he's on pace for this year.

Minnesota fans want him gone at the deadline but i'm not sure this is a contract you can trade at the deadline given the money and years involved. seems like one you have to wait for offseason to move. Probably won't get great value back either given his performance and the financial commitment you'd have to make.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark

Fresh off signing this he's been a very disappointing player this season with just 20 points in 37 games and merely the 7th leading point getter on Minny. Looks like last year was an aberration and his true talent level as an NHL scorer is a 40ish kind of guy like he's been in other years and like he's on pace for this year.

Minnesota fans want him gone at the deadline but i'm not sure this is a contract you can trade at the deadline given the money and years involved. seems like one you have to wait for offseason to move. Probably won't get great value back either given his performance and the financial commitment you'd have to make.

What about a deal around Silfverberg and Zucker?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

The only thing wrong with his contract is the partial NTC that kicks in this summer if he isn't traded.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
The only thing wrong with his contract is the partial NTC that kicks in this summer if he isn't traded.

The value for his production this year and his entire career outside of last year (which looks like an aberration) isn't great. Therefore, I don't his value would be very high. Minnesota fans seem to acknowledtge this though.

StateOfHockey101

May 19, 2015
Honestly, it doesn't matter if it's a bad contract or not.. this team will never be a Stanley cup contender. Suter and praise screwed up any chance at that. We paid super star money to solid players. Our core all hot their contracts now, (Zucker, brodin, nino, coyle, dumba, spurgeon) and they're all just meh. So theres no way to fix anything. Just gotta wait another 7 years till those contracts are off the books. Then retry as a franchise. Until then, who cares..

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Honestly, it doesn't matter if it's a bad contract or not.. this team will never be a Stanley cup contender. Suter and praise screwed up any chance at that. We paid super star money to solid players. Our core all hot their contracts now, (Zucker, brodin, nino, coyle, dumba, spurgeon) and they're all just meh. So theres no way to fix anything. Just gotta wait another 7 years till those contracts are off the books. Then retry as a franchise. Until then, who cares..
You might want to spend a minute or two checking out capfriendly, if you think the Suter/Parise contracts are having a negative effect in any way. Suter's contract has been an absolute steal from the second he signed it.

StateOfHockey101

May 19, 2015
Are you high?? Suter is getting doughty, subban, burns, Karlsson type money and he can barely skate!

Parise is worth 5 million a year..

And like I said, were only HALF WAY THROUGH the contracts!!

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Are you high?? Suter is getting doughty, subban, burns, Karlsson type money and he can barely skate!

Parise, who has 17 goals and 33 points in 37 games this year, is worth $5m, and you're asking if he's high?

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway

1. The pure salary isn't the most important aspect of the contract. The cap hit is. And his is lower than the others and will be considerably lower than Doughty and Karlsson's next season.
2. After this season, both have only three more years on the contract before they'll be permanently on LTIR and one or both of the contracts traded to Ottawa/Arizona.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I know Wild fans have mostly disregarded any potential trades with the Sabres but is there anything to be done here?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I know Wild fans have mostly disregarded any potential trades with the Sabres but is there anything to be done here?
Maybe, but going by the discussions around Coyle I'm guessing fans aren't going to come to any agreement. Coyle's more valuable to the Wild (in my opinion), but Zucker should be more valuable on the trade market. There's also kind of a schism between Wild fans that are hot to trade him for a haul and those that want to keep him.

If we're talking futures, I'd want a 1st, a good forward prospect and a mid-round pick. The Sabres can probably afford to pay that if they want Zucker, but I don't think the sides (fans, anyway) would ever agree on which 1st and which prospect.

Reactions: Aladyyn

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
There's a new sheriff in town. NO Stairway, and NO BUFFALO!

I still like Zucker. He, and the team, are just going through a hellish cold streak right now. They have played better than their results.

Reactions: Aladyyn

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Don't worry- if he is still struggling by 2020, they can expose him to Seattle....
Assuming the draft rules are the same as with Vegas, his NTC would prevent that. Not that he's a player I'd want to lose for nothing, but our depth at LW doesn't make me want to guarantee him a protection slot either.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Most of the Wild players are having relatively disappointing offensive seasons, not just Zucker. I think Parise/Granlund are the only ones out-producing expectations. If they trade Zucker they'll be looking for a Zucker. His contract is pretty much market value for a 50ish point player.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Most of the Wild players are having relatively disappointing offensive seasons, not just Zucker. I think Parise/Granlund are the only ones out-producing expectations. If they trade Zucker they'll be looking for a Zucker. His contract is pretty much market value for a 50ish point player.
I've got to disagree here. They've got Parise, Nino and Greenway as left-shot wingers even without Zucker, and some decent call-up options in the AHL behind them. He's the most valuable trade asset we have at our deepest position.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Assuming the draft rules are the same as with Vegas, his NTC would prevent that. Not that he's a player I'd want to lose for nothing, but our depth at LW doesn't make me want to guarantee him a protection slot either.

Isn't it the full NMC that does that, not just a NTC?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad