Proposal: MIN-TOR Marcus Foligno for Andreas Johnsson

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
This is a value favouring Min and also frees up like 600K only.... don’t see why Toronto would do this

wrong. All leafs have been trying to use Johnsson as a thrown in in any trade to get rid of him ; yet in here talk about how andreas Johnsson playing on leafs 4th line is so good and so better than wild ld's. if he that good, a team would have given a 1st or 2nd for him already ; but Guess what Andreas Johnsson isn't.

Don't know why these thread hasn't been closed

Reactions: Dirk316

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Foligno may have scored "nearly" 0.5 points per game last season (it was 0.42 to Johnsson's 0.49) but for the three years prior he's been a <0.3 points per game 4th liner. That's not a good trade to save $500k.

I would rather keep Johnsson at $3.5m easily.
Imagine if the Lightning used similar logic and refused to offer 1st round picks for Coleman and/or Goodrow because there pts didn't justify it. Sometimes the type of player and the role is more important than points or who is perceived as the "better" piece.

Reactions: qqaz

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
wrong. All leafs have been trying to use Johnsson as a thrown in in any trade to get rid of him ; yet in here talk about how andreas Johnsson playing on leafs 4th line is so good and so better than wild ld's. if he that good, a team would have given a 1st or 2nd for him already ; but Guess what Andreas Johnsson isn't.

Don't know why these thread hasn't been closed

So the true test of player quality is how often they pop up in HF proposals. And anyone who hasn't already been traded for a 1st or 2nd is trash.

Good to know.

*bursts out laughing*

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
So the true test of player quality is how often they pop up in HF proposals. And anyone who hasn't already been traded for a 1st or 2nd is trash.

Good to know.

*bursts out laughing*

Not Just HF. Remember Jeremy Bracco?? Good times

Leafs fans get over yourself. wild dont need or want wingers. Foligno isn't available.

No, the reality is even your GM haven't been able to find a trade for Andreas Johnsson. every GM in the NHL know the leafs have cap issues and need a d thus meaning players like Andreas Johnson 3rd line winger at best; 4th line winger would be given for free.

Again Leafs keep Andreas Johnsson

Subbanned

Nov 4, 2011
Seems fair. Makes sense for both sides. Johnsson more upside but Leafs are basically renting Foligno for a year so they may not want to do this.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
For f***s sake, give it a rest.

He’s allowed to have an opinion and it is no less valid than yours.

You know, if you ignore kaprizoventitleist, this is a pretty respectful thread where both sides kind of agree.

There's a general consensus that Toronto would prefer more cap relief, and is giving up the better value. And there's a general consensus that Minnesota would prefer a C in return, and their roster is full on LW.

But the OP gave decent reasons why each team would make the deal, and his reasons come straight from the Wild GM, not just his opinion. It fits with what each team needs to DO. Wild get younger and faster, Toronto gets tougher and cheaper. I could see it happening, and you can make an argument that it's win-win.

One of the better trade proposals.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
You know, if you ignore kaprizoventitleist, this is a pretty respectful thread where both sides kind of agree.

There's a general consensus that Toronto would prefer more cap relief, and is giving up the better value. And there's a general consensus that Minnesota would prefer a C in return, and their roster is full on LW.

But the OP gave decent reasons why each team would make the deal, and his reasons come straight from the Wild GM, not just his opinion. It fits with what each team needs to DO. Wild get younger and faster, Toronto gets tougher and cheaper. I could see it happening, and you can make an argument that it's win-win.

The underlying problem for Minnesota is still having too many LW's, so swapping Foligno for another one doesn't help. We've already had a younger guy like Donato being rotated between the 4th line and healthy scratches because of this, so the "getting younger" angle doesn't hold water for me.

Foligno's not irreplaceable and I'm not keen on giving him a raise, but at the moment he has a clear role that he's good at. Johnsson wouldn't be able to play that role, and he'd be competing for top-9 time with about 8 other wingers (Fiala, Kaprizov, Zuccarello, Parise, Greenway, Kunin, Donato, etc.). One can argue that Johnsson's better than this or that player, but overall swapping Foligno for him just exacerbates things.

Personally I think moving Foligno for a pick or prospect makes some sense for the Wild because I don't think extending him is a great idea, but my guess is that management doesn't see it that way. And that's probably not a move Toronto wants to make anyway because Foligno's cap hit isn't light for a bottom-6 PK'er.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota

No arguments here. I always appreciate a well thought out proposal where one provides reasoning and this nailed it.

And you're right about ignoring the posters that take threads off the rails, I get frustrated because it happens in every single Wild thread from the guy and we cannot have a decent conversation.

Last edited:

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Kapanen was also called "trash" on these forums often.

Johnsson is a good hustle player that we'd love to keep if we weren't in dire need of allocating his cap space elsewhere.

He hustles, he's a pest, he's a great story (7th rounder) with good hockey IQ and has show he can put up good numbers, just not consistently.

You can say you don't want him, but saying he's trash is a joke. He will fetch a 2nd or an equivalent. Trading him for Foligno would be a downgrade everywhere but physicality and leadership (which might be worth it for Toronto at this point).

Reactions: uncleben and qqaz

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
The underlying problem for Minnesota is still having too many LW's, so swapping Foligno for another one doesn't help. We've already had a younger guy like Donato being rotated between the 4th line and healthy scratches because of this, so the "getting younger" angle doesn't hold water for me.

Foligno's not irreplaceable and I'm not keen on giving him a raise, but at the moment he has a clear role that he's good at. Johnsson wouldn't be able to play that role, and he'd be competing for top-9 time with about 8 other wingers (Fiala, Kaprizov, Zuccarello, Parise, Greenway, Kunin, Donato, etc.). One can argue that Johnsson's better than this or that player, but overall swapping Foligno for him just exacerbates things.

Personally I think moving Foligno for a pick or prospect makes some sense for the Wild because I don't think extending him is a great idea, but my guess is that management doesn't see it that way. And that's probably not a move Toronto wants to make anyway because Foligno's cap hit isn't light for a bottom-6 PK'er.

Johnsson has played RW as well, although I think he's a better LW.

I don't think there are too many better value options in terms of the price you will pay for his skill/tenacity combination, but maybe those things aren't a big need for Minny right now so I can understand the fit.

Understandably, I've very rarely seen ANY fanbase on this forum react well to proposals where they are giving up any value for a winger that isn't a top line calibre player. No one wants to trade for wingers. It's the easiest position in hockey to draft for. I think as a group, we undervalue the position just because of this fact. Good, young, cost controlled, offensively gifted wingers that can skate are still useful to teams.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
If the Leafs don't need to move cap space for Pietrangelo, I think one of their forwards (Johnsson, Kerfoot or Engvall) for Greenway lines up pretty well depending on Minnesota's preference and other offers for the Leafs forwards.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Johnsson has played RW as well, although I think he's a better LW.

I don't think there are too many better value options in terms of the price you will pay for his skill/tenacity combination, but maybe those things aren't a big need for Minny right now so I can understand the fit.

Understandably, I've very rarely seen ANY fanbase on this forum react well to proposals where they are giving up any value for a winger that isn't a top line calibre player. No one wants to trade for wingers. It's the easiest position in hockey to draft for. I think as a group, we undervalue the position just because of this fact. Good, young, cost controlled, offensively gifted wingers that can skate are still useful to teams.
I keep using "LW" for the sake of convenience, but it's really left-shot wingers more generally. Fiala, Kaprizov and Zuccarello all play on the right side either by need or preference. Johansson's a LW that they're apparently playing at center next year, and Greenway and Donato have both spent games at center. Bjugstad's health is a question, but he plays RW and C. There's plenty of versatility there, there's just not enough spots.

If the Leafs don't need to move cap space for Pietrangelo, I think one of their forwards (Johnsson, Kerfoot or Engvall) for Greenway lines up pretty well depending on Minnesota's preference and other offers for the Leafs forwards.
Minnesota would likely keep Greenway over any of those guys. Again, the only reason to trade guys like Greenway or Donato is to relieve the number of LWs we have, especially with more on the way beyond next season (Boldy, Beckman, etc.). I get that Kerfoot's a center but I don't think there's enough upside there to pique the Wild's interest.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Johansson doesn't really scratch any itch that MN has.

To set the record straight, though, to say that Foligno isn't as good as Johnsson because he doesn't score as much completely misses the point of what he does well. He's the guy on your team who will lead in hits( did he even lead the league?), forecheck like hell, play good defense, and stand up to guys like Reaves and Wilson when necessary. Johnsson does none of that.

If your team doesn't need that, then no biggie. If they do, then offering something that MN Has too many of already is not going to move the needle(LW's).

From afar, I think Foligno would be a very good fit for Toronto, but I could be wrong. I think he would shore up an area where the Leafs are weak.

I am pretty sure that Guerin would rather have him around than not, and is not shopping him, but I never thought he would trade Staal, let alone for Johansson, so what do I know?

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018

Yep. Slot allocation is a valid reason to decline this proposal. If it's a no from the Wild, I get it.

It's still a better proposal than %90 of the ones on here. Value, play stystyle, age, cap-hit, and team direction were all accounted for and arguably correct. Plus it's an original suggestion.

Reactions: Bazeek

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I keep using "LW" for the sake of convenience, but it's really left-shot wingers more generally. Fiala, Kaprizov and Zuccarello all play on the right side either by need or preference. Johansson's a LW that they're apparently playing at center next year, and Greenway and Donato have both spent games at center. Bjugstad's health is a question, but he plays RW and C. There's plenty of versatility there, there's just not enough spots.

Minnesota would likely keep Greenway over any of those guys. Again, the only reason to trade guys like Greenway or Donato is to relieve the number of LWs we have, especially with more on the way beyond next season (Boldy, Beckman, etc.). I get that Kerfoot's a center but I don't think there's enough upside there to pique the Wild's interest.
Engvall and Kerfoot are both centers that can also play left wing equally well. So, wherever you need them. I thought Kerfoot might be interesting because of his ability to fill in as a top-6 center for a cheap price. For a team in need of a center I feel he could fill a Bozak role where he compliments a good group of wingers and puts up 40-55 points a year and doesn't hurt you too much. Engvall has similar size to Greenway and owns a good defensive game, if he could become consistent with his offense at the NHL level he could make a great shutdown 3C. He will also be cheaper than Greenway for a couple years at least, he is locked in at 1.25M per. I thought in Johnsson's case despite playing LW that he represented a clear upgrade at the position and he could climb the lineup of a team that could use upgrades. I do see that the first two would make for better bases of a potential deal with all the left shots in Minnesota up front and because of their ability to play center.

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020

Don't really give a damn what you think. This crap about wild getting younger is bs.

Foligno isn't going anywhere, & johnsson after his bad season isn't going anywhere. Certain wild fans want to get rid of foligno so bad, they want a player returning from injury and isn't good

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
No arguments here. I always appreciate a well thought out proposal where one provides reasoning and this nailed it.

And you're right about ignoring the posters that take threads off the rails, I get frustrated because it happens in every single Wild thread from the guy and we cannot have a decent conversation.

Yeah every thread, not. Stop lying & attacking me. This isn't true. Just because your don't like me means you make up a bunch of bs. Only you & several other are trying to defend the same bs. It was the same with bracco.

Wild need foligno also & not Andreas johnsson whose going to play on wild 4th line. Just get over it

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Yeah every thread, not. Stop lying & attacking me. This isn't true. Just because your don't like me means you make up a bunch of bs. Only you & several other are trying to defend the same bs. It was the same with bracco.

Wild need foligno also & not Andreas johnsson whose going to play on wild 4th line. Just get over it
You are in every thread trying to derail them. You even came to the leafs board to argue value when we were discussing hypothetical trades with other teams, one being the wild. You just can't admit it is all.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Engvall and Kerfoot are both centers that can also play left wing equally well. So, wherever you need them. I thought Kerfoot might be interesting because of his ability to fill in as a top-6 center for a cheap price. For a team in need of a center I feel he could fill a Bozak role where he compliments a good group of wingers and puts up 40-55 points a year and doesn't hurt you too much. Engvall has similar size to Greenway and owns a good defensive game, if he could become consistent with his offense at the NHL level he could make a great shutdown 3C. He will also be cheaper than Greenway for a couple years at least, he is locked in at 1.25M per. I thought in Johnsson's case despite playing LW that he represented a clear upgrade at the position and he could climb the lineup of a team that could use upgrades. I do see that the first two would make for better bases of a potential deal with all the left shots in Minnesota up front and because of their ability to play center.
Minnesota has a glaring hole at 1/2C, but beyond that we've got several centers. Eriksson-Ek, Sturm, and Rask are all capable of 3/4C duties, and Bjugstad can play there in a pinch. At the moment it's hard to rule out going into next year with a 40-ish point guy as our "1C" ahead of our "2C" Marcus Johansson, I just don't think they'd trade Greenway to acquire him.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Minnesota has a glaring hole at 1/2C, but beyond that we've got several centers. Eriksson-Ek, Sturm, and Rask are all capable of 3/4C duties, and Bjugstad can play there in a pinch. At the moment it's hard to rule out going into next year with a 40-ish point guy as our "1C" ahead of our "2C" Marcus Johansson, I just don't think they'd trade Greenway to acquire him.
The FA pool doesn't look to have all that many candidates. If Minnesota can't find a partner, there are worse ideas, they'll need to ice someone who can keep up. But, I wouldn't want to make that my one-two punch down the middle either personally.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
MN doesn't need depth forwards at this point. They need high end C's. Guerin's puzzling trade of Staal has made a bad situation worse. They could also use a goalie, though many are curious to see how Khakonen does.

They are set on defense. Three of their top 4 D have NMC's, so they have limited flexibility to trade them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad