Proposal: MIN-TOR Marcus Foligno for Andreas Johnsson

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
This will. if you have listen to any of russo podcast, he's made it clear Foligno or spurgeon will be wild next captain. but since you dont want to beleive it, Here's another proof. Russo has made it pretty clear since trade deadline Foligno isn't available and that Good chance Foligno is wild next captain. it's only recently in past few weeks that he added spurgeon to the competition for captain

<iframe allow="autoplay" width="100%" height="200" src="Listen to Howling At The Moon | The Athletic Hour | Podcasts | iHeartRadio" frameborder="0"></iframe>
None of this means he won’t be traded. You’re making this all concrete when it’s pure speculation. He should be traded for whatever we can get. It won’t be a first. Greenway can hardly fetch a first and you can’t say Foligno brings much more of at all than him. He may have leadership qualities but a maybe option at captain is the dumbest reason to not trade him. If that is all it takes why would dumba be on the block?

Reactions: qqaz

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I just want to make sure that everyone is clear here. If Foligno is traded, KaprizovEntitlelist is not allowed to post for 1 year. MODS, Please please please take note of this.

Wouldn't he still be on probation for the "Leipold will NEVER let Guerin trade the King Clancy winner"?

grimmel95

Jan 13, 2016
Minnesota
Foligno being an option for the next captain does not mean he is exempt from being traded and making the team younger and faster as the OP alluded to. I like Foligno as much as the next guy, but a first round pick for him? In what world does someone trade a 1st for a guy who is 29 years old, in the final year of his deal, is owed MORE real money than his cap hit ($3M), and has a career high of 25 points?

How much would you pay him? Are you seriously willing to give him a raise just because he may be a captain in the future for whatever reason? If you can tell me an actual reason why he deserves a raise, not just a 7 month old podcast link where someone mentions they want to resign him as your reasoning, I am all ears.
I love Foligno as much as the next guy but given the flat cap, the bad contracts we have with Zucc, Parise, Rask and Duby and the need to get younger, faster and more skilled I can't see signing him to an expensive long-term contract. I would personally trade him for a 2nd or 3rd if possible to help free up some cap space and a roster spot. Captain or not he should not get a raise or long term contract in my opinion.

Reactions: Jesus comma Brodin

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
The trade suggested is a lot less likely now that it's reported that Pietrangelo might sign with Toronto. No way can Foligno be paid that much in the bottom 6 if that happens.

And the trade is unlikely on Minnesota's side with their glut on LW.

But the direction of the trade seems to make sense to me. MIN gets younger, faster, and adds talent that is signed longer. Toronto gets stronger and harder to play against, while saving a bit of cap space for a DeMello or Brodie signing.

It's probably a no from both sides. But neither fanbase should be offended. Both guys are worth about a 2nd or 3rd rounder, as they are.

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
None of this means he won’t be traded. You’re making this all concrete when it’s pure speculation. He should be traded for whatever we can get. It won’t be a first. Greenway can hardly fetch a first and you can’t say Foligno brings much more of at all than him. He may have leadership qualities but a maybe option at captain is the dumbest reason to not trade him. If that is all it takes why would dumba be on the block?

I am making things up? Good to know you think I am. Many here didn't think brodin was getting resigned either.

I get it, you don't like it want foligno. But Guess what, it's been consistent that Foligno hasn't been in any trade rumors. Also it's not just conjecture that spurgeon or foligno are wild team captain next year. Sure, if foligno gets too expensive, he will be traded. But if you think Foligno could get traded, it would also have happened this past trade deadline.

LighthouseKeepr

Jun 11, 2015
Outside Moncton, NB
wrong with what? that leafs fans think they can get foligno for trash Andreas Johnsson wild dont need? or fact he's coming off major injury and would have to prove he's ready / healed before any team trades for him??

Its common sense

Andreas Johnsson had 20 goals and 23 assist = 43 points in his rookie season.

In Andreas Johnsson's "injury prone" 2nd season he had 8 goals and 13 assist = 21 points in 43 games.

but...

After 8 season in the NHL Marcus Foligno has never had more than 25 pts in a season and he has only play a full 82 games in one of those seasons.

So you might want to rethink about what an injury prone "Thrash" player really is!!!

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
Andreas Johnsson had 20 goals and 23 assist = 43 points in his rookie season.

In Andreas Johnsson's "injury prone" 2nd season he had 8 goals and 13 assist = 21 points in 43 games.

but...

After 8 season in the NHL Marcus Foligno has never had more than 25 pts in a season and he has only play a full 82 games in one of those seasons.

So you might want to rethink about what an injury prone "Thrash" player really is!!!

Toronto can keep him then. Toronto fans put him in all sort of trades including media, leads fans down board have said for long time now, he should be a cap dump to get d, then get mad at fact a person call him bad player or that he isn't going to get much of a value coming off major injury. Now that is funny.

He was playing on your team 4th line this past year. Toronto fans have been trying to unload Andreas johnsson for a long time now.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
I am making things up? Good to know you think I am. Many here didn't think brodin was getting resigned either.

I get it, you don't like it want foligno. But Guess what, it's been consistent that Foligno hasn't been in any trade rumors. Also it's not just conjecture that spurgeon or foligno are wild team captain next year. Sure, if foligno gets too expensive, he will be traded. But if you think Foligno could get traded, it would also have happened this past trade deadline.
I didn’t say you made it up, learn to read thoroughly not just putting words in my mouth. Using a trade deadline tweet to say he won’t be traded is silly. Possibly they weren’t getting good returns so he was off the table or possibly Guerin didn’t want to trade him as he saw us in the playoffs. Not that we are out and it’s almost the off-season he does not carry a ton of value for what he is. That means a first is out of the question especially at his cap hit. Now obviously there are not trade rumors surrounding him when we have dumba as a huge fish to be traded right now looking at a center coming back. Nobody wants Foligno in a package unless it’s some additions to help with cap.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
I don't love it for Toronto. Only 1 year of Foligno is not super appealing
He'll continue with us for years after that sire. I as a Lou Lamoriello follower, approve this trade. And want it hard.

We need exactly this type of action jackson like carl weathers during his prime. We don't need a sucka like johnsson. He brings nothing, absolutely nothing new to us that we already don't have. We don't need too much skill nore speed nore scoring power. We need the other stuff. The Lou stuff.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
I... don't mind this.

If Toronto trades Johnsson, and I think they will, I'd like to get more cap relief than just half a million. But Foligno really fills a need. I'd probably say yes one-for-one.

There's a chance this is a huge win for Minnesota. Johnsson could be a solid 2nd line guy moving forward. Just has no place in Toronto. Not that it's easy to find a place as a LW on the Wild.

Also, am I the only one who got mixed up a bit seeing a thread about Marcus Foligno and Andreas Johnsson right after the Wild brought in Marcus Johansson?
You know everythang about ice hockey sire. And I don't mind it at all. :clap:

Reactions: qqaz

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Johnsson is a player the leafs can use to gain cap space if required, so, taking back almost as much salary at this point is undesired
...a week before training camp, sure, but, pre-ufa season, no chance. (value is irrelevant)

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Johnsson is a player the leafs can use to gain cap space if required, so, taking back almost as much salary at this point is undesired
...a week before training camp, sure, but, pre-ufa season, no chance. (value is irrelevant)
I think this is a good point.
If you swing and miss on AP and/or another high cost RHD, you can make a trade like this.
Like lets say they land DeMelo @3 and another D under 3.
At that point, you can move AJ for a better defensive 3W who can PK. It helps replace Kappy's PK spot.
Foligno could be an interesting fit.

Im a fan of bringing in a few guys who are very good defensively, even if they are weak offensively.
Adding a few of Foligno, Johan Larson, Miko Koivu to the bottom 6 with Rodriguez would make them much harder to play against.
It would also mean relying even more on the top 6's ability to score.

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
I think this is a good point.
If you swing and miss on AP and/or another high cost RHD, you can make a trade like this.
Like lets say they land DeMelo @3 and another D under 3.
At that point, you can move AJ for a better defensive 3W who can PK. It helps replace Kappy's PK spot.
Foligno could be an interesting fit.

Im a fan of bringing in a few guys who are very good defensively, even if they are weak offensively.
Adding a few of Foligno, Johan Larson, Miko Koivu to the bottom 6 with Rodriguez would make them much harder to play against.
It would also mean relying even more on the top 6's ability to score.

and wild arent interested in Andreas Johnson. wild have Kaprizov and Fiala and Foligno will also protect them

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I thought he meant Foligno would protect Fiala and Kaprizov from physical harm...nevertheless...STILL A GREAT THREAD!

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
This is a value favouring Min and also frees up like 600K only.... don’t see why Toronto would do this

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->