Proposal: MIN-TOR Marcus Foligno for Andreas Johnsson

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Guerin, in Minesota, has been open about wanting to get younger and faster. Toronto, meanwhile, needs to shed some cap space and needs more grit/defensive ability in the bottom of the lineup.

Marcus Foligno, 29yrs, 6'3", 224lbs. 1 year remaining at 2.875 million.

Andreas Johnsson, 25yrs, 5'10", 194lbs. 3 years remaining at 3.4 million.

Both guys scored at about a half point per game last season. Foligno isn't likely to get much more than that in the future, but brings a physical edge and PK ability. Johnsson is a small guy, not perfect for the bottom 6, but has speed and could see his scoring trend up.

What do you think of this as a base? I think Minny would have to add slightly, or retain a tiny bit. But the difference isn't huge, in my eyes. Does this solve a problem for each team? Is this going in the right direction?

Edit: corrected typo in Foligno's weight.

Last edited:

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
1) Minnesota would have to believe that Johnsson can returned to his previous play.

2) If I were Toronto, I would probably want picks/prospects in order to acquire more cap space. Maybe some retained salary from Minnesota.

3) The trade really depends on the value of Johnsson around the league concerning his injury.

Reactions: kb and Beleafer34

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Guerin, in Minesota, has been open about wanting to get younger and faster. Toronto, meanwhile, needs to shed some cap space and needs more grit/defensive ability in the bottom of the lineup.

Marcus Foligno, 29yrs, 6'3", 124lbs. 1 year remaining at 2.875 million.

Andreas Johnsson, 25yes, 5'10", 194lbs. 3 years remaining at 3.4 million.

Both guys scored at about a half point per game last season. Foligno isn't likely to get much more than that in the future, but brings a physical edge and PK ability. Johnsson is a small guy, not perfect for the bottom 6, but has speed and could see his scoring trend up.

What do you think of this as a base? I think Minny would have to add slightly, or retain a tiny bit. But the difference isn't huge, in my eyes. Does this solve a problem for each team? Is this going in the right direction?
I can see them trading Foligno but it'd likely be for futures. They'll need to shed forwards at some point, especially LWs.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
I can see them trading Foligno but it'd likely be for futures. They'll need to shed forwards at some point, especially LWs.

I get that. But Guerin has specifically said his aim is to get younger and faster. That doesn't mean draft picks, it means on the active roster. Johnsson is both younger and faster. Sounds like it follows the plan.

I know Minny doesn't need more LWers. But this is one-in and one-out, so they're not adding any more.

There's a bit of risk for both teams. Toronto only gets one year of Foligno. But he is the kind of player they're looking for, and they save about a half million. Minny takes a risk that Johnsson doesn't improve much. But is there a similar C or RW that they can get back for only Foligno? I don't know, but I doubt it.

Guerin seems driven to make change, and this fits the current mantra, as far as I can tell. It's not a blockbuster move. But I think it checks boxes for both teams.

Reactions: qqaz

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
Minnesota says no very easily. this has been discussed like a million times. Andreas Johnsson has no value and foligno or Jared spurgeon could possibly be wild next captain.

wild are also trying to extend Foligno.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
If we're going to be trading the higher scoring player, especially one with a bit of upside still, I'd want to see a bit more cap savings or some futures coming back.

Reactions: 613Leafer and Ciao

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
I get that. But Guerin has specifically said his aim is to get younger and faster. That doesn't mean draft picks, it means on the active roster. Johnsson is both younger and faster. Sounds like it follows the plan.

I know Minny doesn't need more LWers. But this is one-in and one-out, so they're not adding any more.

There's a bit of risk for both teams. Toronto only gets one year of Foligno. But he is the kind of player they're looking for, and they save about a half million. Minny takes a risk that Johnsson doesn't improve much. But is there a similar C or RW that they can get back for only Foligno? I don't know, but I doubt it.

Guerin seems driven to make change, and this fits the current mantra, as far as I can tell. It's not a blockbuster move. But I think it checks boxes for both teams.

no dude, wild already have too many youngs lw's . Foligno is way better than trasn andreas Johnsson along with the fact no team is trading for player coming off like 8 goal season and major injuries. Leafs fans really need to stop

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Shake the magic 8 ball and go with whatever it says. Your guess is as good as mine at this point.

Reactions: pheasant

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
go
If we're going to be trading the higher scoring player, especially one with a bit of upside still, I'd want to see a bit more cap savings or some futures coming back.

good luck with that leafs fans. no one is trading for injured proned and 8 goal scorer andreas johnsson. if they were it would have happened

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Foligno is actually pretty fast. Also if you are using points to evaluate his game then you don’t understand what his value is.
I have no clue what Guerin is up to at this point, so I won’t comment further.

Reactions: BHD and pheasant

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
I... don't mind this.

If Toronto trades Johnsson, and I think they will, I'd like to get more cap relief than just half a million. But Foligno really fills a need. I'd probably say yes one-for-one.

There's a chance this is a huge win for Minnesota. Johnsson could be a solid 2nd line guy moving forward. Just has no place in Toronto. Not that it's easy to find a place as a LW on the Wild.

Also, am I the only one who got mixed up a bit seeing a thread about Marcus Foligno and Andreas Johnsson right after the Wild brought in Marcus Johansson?

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
Foligno is actually pretty fast. Also if you are using points to evaluate his game then you don’t understand what his value is.

he actually also said in his post wild add. its hilarious if you look at what he wrote

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

It's not just that we don't need more, we need less. There isn't room for all of the forwards we already have, and that'll get worse if/when Dumba is traded for another.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
go

good luck with that leafs fans. no one is trading for injured proned and 8 goal scorer andreas johnsson. if they were it would have happened
Oh no, nobody wants our 20 goal rookie? You won't even give us your 25 point winger for him? How ever will I sleep at night? Poor Leaf fans, how will we ever survive without a new 25 point winger? Sooooooooooo sad

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
I... don't mind this.

If Toronto trades Johnsson, and I think they will, I'd like to get more cap relief than just half a million. But Foligno really fills a need. I'd probably say yes one-for-one.

There's a chance this is a huge win for Minnesota. Johnsson could be a solid 2nd line guy moving forward. Just has no place in Toronto. Not that it's easy to find a place as a LW on the Wild.

Also, am I the only one who got mixed up a bit seeing a thread about Marcus Foligno and Andreas Johnsson right after the Wild brought in Marcus Johansson?

Kaprizov, Fiala
Parise, Zuccarrelo
Foligno, Luke Kunin
Greenway/ donato/ hartman

Just stop. Andreas Johnson is trash

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
Oh no, nobody wants our 20 goal rookie? You won't even give us your 25 point winger for him? How ever will I sleep at night? Poor Leaf fans, how will we ever survive without a new 25 point winger? Sooooooooooo sad

he scored 8 goals , maybe even less and coming off major injury. Leafs fans are so so funny. dude if he had any value, teams would have traded for him. Minnesota doesnt need him

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
he scored 8 goals , maybe even less and coming off major injury. Leafs fans are so so funny. dude if he had any value, teams would have traded for him. Minnesota doesnt need him
What are you talking about? He had 20 goals in his rookie season. At least pretend to be accurate.

"Dude, if Dumba had any value, teams would have traded for him."

Rinse and repeat for literally every player that has never been traded. What a brutal post.

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
There's so much wrong with this post.
wrong with what? that leafs fans think they can get foligno for trash Andreas Johnsson wild dont need? or fact he's coming off major injury and would have to prove he's ready / healed before any team trades for him??

Its common sense

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010

That's all fair. But who used points to evaluate Foligno's game? I listed age, size, and contract in the OP. I mentioned his scoring was simlar to AJ, and that they might trend in opposite directions. But I never used points to claim they're equal. I specifically talked about how his value is his physical play and PK ability.

If he's a piece that Minnesota wants to keep, then so be it. I'm not here to convince fans that they need to accept something.

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
What are you talking about? He had 20 goals in his rookie season. At least pretend to be accurate.

Rinse and repeat for literally every player that has never been traded. What a brutal post.

No its brtutal post from leafs fan . To also think wild add is hilarious. Leafs can keep him. wild dont need him and he has no place in wild lineup

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

He's one of the most popular trade chips in the league right now. Many teams are trying to.

I'm not seeing the same types of rumors for Johnsson.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
wrong with what? that leafs fans think they can get foligno for trash Andreas Johnsson wild dont need? or fact he's coming off major injury and would have to prove he's ready / healed before any team trades for him??

Its common sense
No, that you think he's injury prone and continue to call him an 8 goal scorer when he had over double that in his rookie season. It's fine if you don't like the proposal, but calling him trash and calling out Leafs fans when they didn't even make this proposal is pretty ridiculous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad