Proposal: MIN-TOR Marcus Foligno for Andreas Johnsson

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I don't know much about the Wild's financial situation, but it's an interesting swap in that Foligno has more money owed than his cap hit, Johnsson less, so it would allow the Leafs to shed 400k cap and the Wild ~400k cash.

If the Wild were a team that is hurting and planning to go 70m payroll I could see it. Otherwise it's just a weird one.

Reactions: qqaz and pheasant

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
he scored 8 goals , maybe even less and coming off major injury. Leafs fans are so so funny. dude if he had any value, teams would have traded for him. Minnesota doesnt need him
How does he score maybe less than 8 goals when he actually scored 8 goals this year? It is true that he is coming off a major injury, and it is true that Leafs fans are so so funny, and it is true that Minnesota doesn't need him. But here I was thinking that we haven't even finished the playoffs yet so perhaps it's a bit early to declare that "nobody wants him" or that maybe, just maybe, that the Leafs organization wants to keep him.

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
No its brtutal post from leafs fan . To also think wild add is hilarious. Leafs can keep him. wild dont need him and he has no place in wild lineup
Okay, so say you don't agree personally and move on. You're attacking people for having a different opinion and making up facts and it makes you look really silly.

He's one of the most popular trade chips in the league right now. Many teams are trying to.

I'm not seeing the same types of rumors for Johnsson.
Surely you understand my point.

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
I don't know much about the Wild's financial situation, but it's an interesting swap in that Foligno has more money owed than his cap hit, Johnsson less, so it would allow the Leafs to shed 400k cap and the Wild ~400k cash.

If the Wild were a team that is hurting and planning to go 70m payroll I could see it. Otherwise it's just a weird one.

wild dont have cap issues and wont do this. they are trying to resign Foligno. so no

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
go

good luck with that leafs fans. no one is trading for injured proned and 8 goal scorer andreas johnsson. if they were it would have happened

You literally just traded your only top-6 center for an older, worse, more expensive, and more injury prone 9 goal scorer lmao. No need to get so upset about the fact that your GM would probably toss us a pick in this deal, he'll only have another year or two to destroy your mediocre core.

Reactions: pheasant

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Okay, so say you don't agree personally and move on. You're attacking people for having a different opinion and making up facts and it makes you look really silly.

Surely you understand my point.

Yeah I do, you just chose the wrong player.

As an aside, he did score 20 goals his rookie season, but he's also been riding shotgun with Matthews and getting pretty substantial ice time with Nylander and even Marner for his entire career.

The Wild just acquired Marcus Johansson to be a top 6 center. Surely you can understand why no one expects him to score 20 goals here.

Further, by all accounts, Guerin loves Foligno, and Johnsson has no experience playing center, so I can't see him being interested in this deal, regardless of whether the value favors Minnesota or not. I could be wrong, but the one thing both of Guerin's deals have in common is he acquired guys with experience at center.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
he actually also said in his post wild add. its hilarious if you look at what he wrote

That's a straight up lie. Here's my OP:

"What do you think of this as a base? I think Minny would have to add slightly, or retain a tiny bit. But the difference isn't huge, in my eyes. Does this solve a problem for each team? Is this going in the right direction?"

I gave my thoughts about a "slight" add or "tiny" retention. Sorry to be so insulting. I also asked three different times for people's opinions, knowing some may offer info I don't have. I know I don't know everything. I didn't realize this forum doesn't allow people to ask questions about value and have an open conversation about it.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I don't love it for Toronto. Only 1 year of Foligno is not super appealing
Why would that not be super appealing? Johnsson's contract is prohibitive beyond this season considering the Leafs need to sign Hyman, a starting goaltender and about eight other skaters for around $14m.

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
That's a straight up lie. Here's my OP:

"What do you think of this as a base? I think Minny would have to add slightly, or retain a tiny bit. But the difference isn't huge, in my eyes. Does this solve a problem for each team? Is this going in the right direction?"

I gave my thoughts about a "slight" add or "tiny" retention. Sorry to be so insulting. I also asked three different times for people's opinions, knowing some may offer info I don't have. I know I don't know everything. I didn't realize this forum doesn't allow people to ask questions about value and have an open conversation about it.

There's also the honestly that wild retain or add on even a little for andreas Johnsson coming off major injury, playing 3rd or 4th line winger for leafs before injuries this year.

There's also the fact wild value a player like Foligno more than you and are trying to resign him.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Yeah I do, you just chose the wrong player.

As an aside, he did score 20 goals his rookie season, but he's also been riding shotgun with Matthews and getting pretty substantial ice time with Nylander and even Marner for his entire career.

The Wild just acquired Marcus Johansson to be a top 6 center. Surely you can understand why no one expects him to score 20 goals here.
Yeah, I picked the wrong player, but my point was that just because a player hasn't been traded doesn't mean that no team wants him.

And sure, Johnsson played with some good players in his rookie season, but it's not like he was a carry on the entire year. He also went down to the AHL in 2018 and was Calder Cup MVP, so he has potential and upside.

I didn't make the proposal so I'm not bothered, I just think it's asinine to call Johnsson trash because he was injured this season.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
There's also the honestly that wild retain or add on even a little for andreas Johnsson coming off major injury, playing 3rd or 4th line winger for leafs before injuries this year.

There's also the fact wild value a player like Foligno more than you and are trying to resign him.

Then kindly suggest that and move on. What's with the storm of posts and rage? I'm the OP, and I've liked a bunch of posts in this thread from Wild fans saying no. But you're borderline derailing the thread by being crazy insulting and rude.

Edit: Even your own fellow Wild fans are suggesting people not talk to you.

Last edited:

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Yeah, I picked the wrong player, but my point was that just because a player hasn't been traded doesn't mean that no team wants him.

And sure, Johnsson played with some good players in his rookie season, but it's not like he was a carry on the entire year. He also went down to the AHL in 2018 and was Calder Cup MVP, so he has potential and upside.

I didn't make the proposal so I'm not bothered, I just think it's asinine to call Johnsson trash because he was injured this season.

Sure, your best bet is to not engage with KaprizovEntitleist. I don't think he's trash, but from my point of view he doesn't make sense as a target unless it's part of a larger deal involving either Nylander or the 15th overall, for something like Dumba and Greenway from our side. I'm not going to try to make that a whole proposal, and I don't want to get into a discussion on value, because I don't think it's realistic enough to happen, just trying to illustrate a point. If anything, Kerfoot is the likely target in any deal with Toronto.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Sure, your best bet is to not engage with KaprizovEntitleist. I don't think he's trash, but from my point of view he doesn't make sense as a target unless it's part of a larger deal involving either Nylander or the 15th overall, for something like Dumba and Greenway from our side. I'm not going to try to make that a whole proposal, and I don't want to get into a discussion on value, because I don't think it's realistic enough to happen, just trying to illustrate a point. If anything, Kerfoot is the likely target in any deal with Toronto.
Totally agree and appreciate your opinion. I'd agree that if there was a deal between the two teams it'd likely involved a Wild D.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
The proposal isn't bad, but I don't think the Leafs do it -- at least not without a greater understanding as to:

a) Is Johnsson a piece that they need in trade for a defenceman? and

b) Do they need to shed Johnsson in order to accommodate the cap hit of whatever defenceman they're acquiring?

If the answer to both of those is no, then I cannot see him moving for Foligno. The guy has been in the league 8 years. He's got 565 games of experience. He "is what he is"; which is a 25 point player.

If the Leafs can keep Johnsson, I think they will, as he probably has 60 point upside, and 3 years of contract security.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Foligno may have scored "nearly" 0.5 points per game last season (it was 0.42 to Johnsson's 0.49) but for the three years prior he's been a <0.3 points per game 4th liner. That's not a good trade to save $500k.

I would rather keep Johnsson at $3.5m easily.

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
Guerin, in Minesota, has been open about wanting to get younger and faster. Toronto, meanwhile, needs to shed some cap space and needs more grit/defensive ability in the bottom of the lineup.

Marcus Foligno, 29yrs, 6'3", 124lbs. 1 year remaining at 2.875 million.

Andreas Johnsson, 25yrs, 5'10", 194lbs. 3 years remaining at 3.4 million.

Both guys scored at about a half point per game last season. Foligno isn't likely to get much more than that in the future, but brings a physical edge and PK ability. Johnsson is a small guy, not perfect for the bottom 6, but has speed and could see his scoring trend up.

What do you think of this as a base? I think Minny would have to add slightly, or retain a tiny bit. But the difference isn't huge, in my eyes. Does this solve a problem for each team? Is this going in the right direction?
damn, dude is thin.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Wild can't be taking on cap past 1 year to fill a LW role that can be replaced internally for cheaper. In a vacuum, Toronto is giving up more value though.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
No way Minny does this. Leafs would be doing cartwheels if this happened though. Foligno is exactly the type of player they need.
Guy is a warrior.

grimmel95

Jan 13, 2016
Minnesota
No way Minny does this. Leafs would be doing cartwheels if this happened though. Foligno is exactly the type of player they need.
Guy is a warrior.
not too mention the leafs would shed cap space as well on top of them wanting us to slightly add for the pleasure of taking on the more expensive winger who's signed for multiple years. No thanks from the Wild.

Reactions: KaprizovEntitlelist

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad