Confirmed Trade: [MIN/PIT] Jason Zucker for 2021 1st round pick, Alex Galchenyuk, and Calen Addison

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Not surprising outcome:

1. The 2020 draft is way better than the 2021 draft
2. The Penguins 1st rounder this year will likely be higher than next year's 1st rounder
3. A player drafted in 2020 has more trade value than a 2021 1st if we're talking about using them as a trade chip.

Outside of JR being scared that the team would suck next year, it didn't make sense for him to give up the pick.

Reactions: Giskard and CF Punk

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
15th OA is likely much higher than they will pick next year so probably smart. It’s just a gamble because if Sid or Geno misses time that unprotected pick could be a good one...

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Something tells me this could really go downhill... Oh wait, things like this have happened for the past 2 years (Ottawa, San Jose).

Probably won't happen with the Penguins, but some injuries could really be detrimental.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Something tells me this could really go downhill... Oh wait, things like this have happened for the past 2 years (Ottawa, San Jose).

Probably won't happen with the Penguins, but some injuries could really be detrimental.

Or if they pick the wrong goalie this summer

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

They were on pace for over 100 points this season when Crosby and Malkin only played like 4 games together over a span of 55 games.

I think people focus way too much on the examples of trades of future 1sts that backfired, while not mentioning the way more trades of future 1sts that didn't backfire.

Reactions: Giskard

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Makes sense. Pittsburgh will be good next season. Not gonna take much stock in this random wacky playoff play in.

Great top 3 Dmen in Letang/Marino/Dumo

Malkin and Sid down the middle.

Guentzel/Rust/Zukcker on the wings.

Jarry is a stud.

Penguins Aren't missing the playoffs next year.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Still like the trade, Zucker fits very well here.

Zucker was very good with Sid, which is why i found it odd that Sullivan put Zucker with Malkin in the play-in.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
They were on pace for over 100 points this season when Crosby and Malkin only played like 4 games together over a span of 55 games.

I think people focus way too much on the examples of trades of future 1sts that backfired, while not mentioning the way more trades of future 1sts that didn't backfire.
Pittsburgh's goaltending alone probably prevents anything too dire from happening here. Sadly.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Penguins went something like 9-11-2 after the deadline this year, got bounced by the worst team in the playoffs, and are going to be making changes over the summer. I think there’s at least a possibility this backfires for them, and I can’t wait to root for it. All that said, if I’m them, I’d keep this pick too.

Reactions: 2Pair and AKL

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I would keep 15 too, but it is not going to be easy to make the playoffs next season. Our division is just getting stronger and stronger.

I would be surprised if we made the playoffs in 2020-21.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
It's a bit funny seeing people so certain the Penguins will be better next season (and yes I myself also think that). Sens fans thought the same thing about the 2017-18 season, and people were also certain the Sharks would make the playoffs this season. You just never know.

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
It's a bit funny seeing people so certain the Penguins will be better next season (and yes I myself also think that). Sens fans thought the same thing about the 2017-18 season, and people were also certain the Sharks would make the playoffs this season. You just never know.

Plus the difference between 15th and 31st is insignificant compared to the difference between 15th and top-3. Rutherford might be planning to trade the 2020 1st at the draft though.

Reactions: nofehr

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

The Senators and Sharks are not the Pittsburgh Penguins, though.

Why don't we list out teams who traded future 1sts and didn't regret them? The Blues won a cup in 2019 after trading a 2019 1st for ROR in 2018. Plus they traded a 2018 1st for Schenn in 2017. The Penguins did the same thing when they acquired Kessel in 2015. The Flames traded a future 1st for Hamonic, and while they missed the playoffs, the pick still ended up only 12th overall. Yandle and Kane were also moved for 1st rounders that didn't become lottery picks.

People focus way too hard on the 2 examples where it backfired on good teams trading future 1sts, instead of focusing on the dozens of times that it didn't backfire.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Why don't we list out teams who traded future 1sts and didn't regret them? The Blues won a cup in 2019 after trading a 2019 1st for ROR in 2018. Plus they traded a 2018 1st for Schenn in 2017. The Penguins did the same thing when they acquired Kessel in 2015. The Flames traded a future 1st for Hamonic, and while they missed the playoffs, the pick still ended up only 12th overall. Yandle and Kane were also moved for 1st rounders that didn't become lottery picks.

People focus way too hard on the 2 examples where it backfired on good teams trading future 1sts, instead of focusing on the dozens of times that it didn't backfire.

I think pretty much everybody, including the poster you quoted, has acknowledged that it's not a likely scenario, only that it's possible, and that's why it's dangerous.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

The Sharks were not the Senators until they were, though.

Reactions: AKL

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Especially in a division where all of their opponents are much younger and improving. How are the Pens improving? They won't be. They'll be shedding excess cap and hoping that someone will take one of their unwanted aging vets.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta

Your team isnt special. The sharks arent some terrible long running bottom feeder team. No one expected them to be as bad as they were, and the same could easily happen to another team.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Plus the difference between 15th and 31st is insignificant compared to the difference between 15th and top-3. Rutherford might be planning to trade the 2020 1st at the draft though.
Pittsburgh drafting 15th overall 2020 will get a very good prospect/player. Its unlikely Rutherford trades the pick.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

You're not wrong but if you look at some of the recent tumbles -

San Jose let go of Pavelski and never replaced his production while having bad injury C luck
Chicago let go of Panarin and Hossa, and Crawford missed 30 odd games

Ottawa weren't that consistently great to begin with

Never say never, but as long as the Pens don't trade away one of their top 3 scorers while only replacing them with hopes and dreams, and avoid worse injury luck than they can handle (which so far is a team strength) then the sudden decline doesn't seem that likely. The big worry is that the stars have quit on Sullivan and stay quit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad