Confirmed Trade: [MIN/PIT] Jason Zucker for 2021 1st round pick, Alex Galchenyuk, and Calen Addison

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Guentzel coming back next year will help a lot, as will a healthy Dumoulin and even Marino was out for a while, as was Crosby. If I was PIT, I'd be feeling pretty good about my chances next year. That was sort of the point of picking Zucker, rather than some expiring player like Kreider.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Crosby missed like 30 games this year and the Penguins were globetrotting with him out of the lineup. The Penguins went 18-6-4 in the 28 games Crosby was out from mid-November to mid-January this year. The entire Malkin and Crosby era has been defined by the team consistently playing well even without Crosby or Malkin, if not both Crosby and Malkin.

We've been hearing for years about how the Penguins are suddenly going to fall off and become the Kings or Hawks and it hasn't happened yet. It's not a smart bet to assume that's going to start now. The Penguins aren't good because of Crosby, Malkin and Letang, they're good because they have an absolutely fantastic supporting cast for that older core.
In a league where there a 50% turnover on teams making the playoffs, I wouldn’t bet that Pittsburgh never falls off. They could keep chugging along, but every year the core gets older theres a chance things spin out of control. I wouldn’t have bet that SJ would be the 3rd worst team in the league before they year started. The league is extremely Volatile and that’s why if I was in your position I’d just give up the 1st.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Would be really funny if Pittsburgh got to keep this year’s pick, Minnesota gets the 2021 pick and then Pittsburgh misses the playoffs and their pick wins the lottery.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
We can dream...I think the odds better that the T-Wolves get to the NBA finals.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
We can dream...I think the odds better that the T-Wolves get to the NBA finals.
that's actually even less likely. the timber-wolves have only made the playoffs once since 2004 and they lost in the first round in 5 when they made it in 2018.

at least they aren't the mariners level bad though. no playoffs since tying the all-time best record in 2001 (116-46), but bowing down to the dreaded yanks in the alcs. yikes

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
In a league where there a 50% turnover on teams making the playoffs, I wouldn’t bet that Pittsburgh never falls off. They could keep chugging along, but every year the core gets older theres a chance things spin out of control. I wouldn’t have bet that SJ would be the 3rd worst team in the league before they year started. The league is extremely Volatile and that’s why if I was in your position I’d just give up the 1st.

One key difference is that Thornton is 7 years older than Malkin.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
I just think it’s funny how people can run around and just “assume” that the teams in a playoff spot would have remained there in the final 13ish games most teams had.

So we want to assume that the Penguins were in the playoffs and would have won all remaining games and stayed there. What if they would have lost all their games remaining? They wouldn’t have made the playoffs.

See that’s where the problem arises. For all scenarios, you can’t do the what if game. Either the scenario happened or it didn’t. You can’t sit there and just assume what would of ended up happening.

The league is in a tough position but they can’t just predict the future and say what would/could or should have happened.

Some of you will throw a complete crybaby fit when they do it, but all 31 teams are going to be in that draft lottery. Some teams with much worse odds than others, but every team will still be there.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018

Wow, so you are saying some day they may not make the playoffs?

Anything else Nostradamus?

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
One key difference is that Thornton is 7 years older than Malkin.
I mean sure, but no two situations are identical. I could argue that Pittsburgh doesn’t have the back-end SJ does. If SJ has a competent goalie and isn’t completely injured they’re probably in the hunt. How a season will unfold is a mystery to everyone. If any few combinations of things happens Pittsburgh could fall back. I’m not implying that they will, I’m just saying that it wouldn’t be unheard of for a team to take a few steps back after being really good the year before. That’s why, as an MN fan, I’d be all for Pitt keeping their pick.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I just think it’s funny how people can run around and just “assume” that the teams in a playoff spot would have remained there in the final 13ish games most teams had.

So we want to assume that the Penguins were in the playoffs and would have won all remaining games and stayed there. What if they would have lost all their games remaining? They wouldn’t have made the playoffs.

See that’s where the problem arises. For all scenarios, you can’t do the what if game. Either the scenario happened or it didn’t. You can’t sit there and just assume what would of ended up happening.

The league is in a tough position but they can’t just predict the future and say what would/could or should have happened.

Some of you will throw a complete crybaby fit when they do it, but all 31 teams are going to be in that draft lottery. Some teams with much worse odds than others, but every team will still be there.
Or, you could just be smart enough to use the information and data that you do have from a 70ish game sample:dunno:

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Or, you could just be smart enough to use the information and data that you do have from a 70ish game sample:dunno:

Here’s the problem like I stated in my initial post. 70 games isn’t a full season. Who is to say that the teams in a playoff spot wouldn’t have fallen out? Or those that were finding their gear and out of the playoffs not winning enough to get in?

Who exactly is supposed to make those assumptions and tell the future?

Do you understand the precedence it sets to just assume things will happen?

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Here’s the problem like I stated in my initial post. 70 games isn’t a full season. Who is to say that the teams in a playoff spot wouldn’t have fallen out? Or those that were finding their gear and out of the playoffs not winning enough to get in?

Who exactly is supposed to make those assumptions and tell the future?

Do you understand the precedence it sets to just assume things will happen?
Let me spell it out so even you can understand. There are no assumptions needed to be made when you use the standings from the games that actually happened. You take the current standings and go from there. the bottom 15 teams go into the lottery like every other year. The top 16 teams will go into another form of lottery that will be determined later if/when the league decides to kill the rest of the season/playoffs.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Let me spell it out so even you can understand. There are no assumptions needed to be made when you use the standings from the games that actually happened. You take the current standings and go from there. the bottom 15 teams go into the lottery like every other year. The top 16 teams will go into another form of lottery that will be determined later if/when the league decides to kill the rest of the season/playoffs.

That simply won’t happen. Who is to say that those 16 teams, one or two or five of them wouldn’t have fallen into the bottom 15 by years end? You can’t.

That is why the fairest way to do things is to give everyone a chance in the lottery. The Bruins would have an astronomical chance at winning the lottery but a chance. That’s the best way to do it.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I mean sure, but no two situations are identical. I could argue that Pittsburgh doesn’t have the back-end SJ does. If SJ has a competent goalie and isn’t completely injured they’re probably in the hunt. How a season will unfold is a mystery to everyone. If any few combinations of things happens Pittsburgh could fall back. I’m not implying that they will, I’m just saying that it wouldn’t be unheard of for a team to take a few steps back after being really good the year before. That’s why, as an MN fan, I’d be all for Pitt keeping their pick.

Pens had a historical run of injuries and were still on pace to make the playoffs.

Sure, they could somehow have a worse run of injuries than this season, as improbable as that would seem... I wouldn’t take those kind of odds though.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

It's entirely possible, and probably a gamble worth taking for Minny since they're not gonna be contending for a few years at least.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If the season does not continue, then what year will the first round of penguins be?

Like what has been said above, it will likely come down to the NHL. I imagine the NHL will pass some sort of judgement on all of these cases, so any of these conditional picks based on the playoffs have the same outcome.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
SJ was never going to contend again after the previous year. They were a team that should have lost in the first round, lost 3 top 9 forwards and their 4D and replaced them with AHLers while the rest of their roster just got older and Thornton finally looked washed up.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Some possible clarity on the 2020 or 2021 1st in this deal:

Vancouver doesn't have the same conditions on the pick, but they're similar. With a June draft, they'd be in a playoff spot, so they'd give up their 2020 1st rounder. I imagine the Penguins would also fall in this category if a June draft happens. That doesn't answer the question of what happens if the playoffs are outright cancelled before the draft, but it seems fairly likely that a June draft prior to the playoffs is going to happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad