Confirmed Signing with Link: [MIN] Kevin Fiala re-signs with the Wild (1 year, $5.1M)

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
seems like a big win for Minnesota
It does? A one year deal is a win for Minnesota? This dude will be arbitration eligible again next year heading into his UFA season the following year. I don’t know if this is a win. It’s a good AAV but the lack of term gives no clarity on his future.

This also pretty much locks in a short term deal for Kirill too. Which he wants. If Fiala got one. No reason Kirill can’t go one or two years too.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
It is thought that Goligoski and Guerin have an agreement that he will re-sign next year for a lesser amount(i.e. 2M), after getting overpaid this year(5M), because of the cap situation. Rask(4M) will be gone next year. Zuccarello's NMC(6M) will be gone after this year, and he might be moveable in trade. I could see Dumba(6M) being moved next offseason if O'Rourke and/or Addison look good this year, and Greenway, if he looks like he will be too expensive to re-sign.

It is a reasonable expectation that players like Boldy, Rossi, Dewar, and Addison(all ELC's) will be giving them NHL TOI as soon as this year, Beckman, and Ryan O'Rourke in 22-23. Maybe Lambos, too, but that might be too optimistic. Bottom line is that MN will have some ELC talent coming, which will be necessary till the Suter/Parise cap hits come off the books. Guerin will certainly have to do some tap dancing, but I can see that he can make things work.
Zucarillo better have a monster year to be tradable at his AAV. I think he carries negative value. Too expensive and old to be of interest to any contender.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
It does? A one year deal is a win for Minnesota? This dude will be arbitration eligible again next year heading into his UFA season the following year. I don’t know if this is a win. It’s a good AAV but the lack of term gives no clarity on his future.

This also pretty much locks in a short term deal for Kirill too. Which he wants. If Fiala got one. No reason Kirill can’t go one or two years too.
The fact that he isn't going to be offered 1 or 2 years will be a substantial hurdle.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
The fact that he isn't going to be offered 1 or 2 years will be a substantial hurdle.
If Fiala got short term and Kirill can go back to Moscow. Minnesota doesn’t have much choice. One more year of these two is still a season with these two. See again next off-season.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Why? His agent said September 1st. When KHL starts.
Because at this point his agent is fully aware that the Wild are not going to go less than 4 years. If that KHL offer is really on the table and 3 years is really a red line for Kaprizov, then the deal would have been signed. Instead they're reportedly moving toward something in the 4-6 year range, which is about what everyone said would happen back when the initial 8-year offer was declined.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Zucarillo better have a monster year to be tradable at his AAV. I think he carries negative value. Too expensive and old to be of interest to any contender.
Monster year? 6M doesn't buy a monster year.
35 pts. in 42 gp is a nice PPG. He was vg last year. Good complimentary top 6 player. Smart, skilled... knows how to play with Kaprizov. He was disappointing the 1st year, but it turns out he was playing injured.

If he can score at .7 pts./G clip he'll be worth his contract. He certainly will not be have negative value if he is anything like he was last year, and in NY.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
So you're arguing both for and against the buyout? Interesting.
I’m giving the reality of their situation. Suter buyout on paper didn’t make sense but if he wouldn’t waive his nmc then your only options are to keep him on the roster or buy him out. He was going to get a contract after his buyout which would have put him ahead of just accepting a trade and getting paid his remaining $10 mill. He was also playing ok, overpaid on the cap now but that’s the reality of a long term deal. Discount early then overpaid late.

Parise, wasn’t aging as well. He made sense to buyout given he physically would be more unlikely to finish the contract.

honestly, the Wild are stuck and right now they are really better off rebuilding the whole thing. Not sure what they can expect to do with that much dead cap for 2 seasons starting in 22-23.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
The schedule on the dead cap space from the buyouts is:

2021-22: $4.7m
2022-23: $12.7m
2023-24: $14.7m
2024-25: $14.7m

(and then several years at $1.6m)

So 2021-22 is the "easy" year and 2022-25 will be very tight.

Disgusting.

Kaprizov won’t be sticking around either.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
I’m giving the reality of their situation. Suter buyout on paper didn’t make sense but if he wouldn’t waive his nmc then your only options are to keep him on the roster or buy him out. He was going to get a contract after his buyout which would have put him ahead of just accepting a trade and getting paid his remaining $10 mill. He was also playing ok, overpaid on the cap now but that’s the reality of a long term deal. Discount early then overpaid late.

Parise, wasn’t aging as well. He made sense to buyout given he physically would be more unlikely to finish the contract.

honestly, the Wild are stuck and right now they are really better off rebuilding the whole thing. Not sure what they can expect to do with that much dead cap for 2 seasons starting in 22-23.
They can be quite competitive actually, people see the dead cap and automatically make assumptions but the rest of the contracts on the team are actually quite good value, locked in for term at all important positions. The athletic did an analysis recently on cap situations, even including the dead cap, the Wild are in the top half of the league for cap situations due to not having any albatrosses like half the league signed this offseason. The prospect pool is in great shape, just in time for ELCs to balance out the dead cap. This team is still more than capable of competing even after the buyouts.

Reactions: Gimp and Plickspect

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
They can be quite competitive actually, people see the dead cap and automatically make assumptions but the rest of the contracts on the team are actually quite good value, locked in for term at all important positions. The athletic did an analysis recently on cap situations, even including the dead cap, the Wild are in the top half of the league for cap situations due to not having any albatrosses like half the league signed this offseason. The prospect pool is in great shape, just in time for ELCs to balance out the dead cap. This team is still more than capable of competing even after the buyouts.

We have three top six players on the entire roster, one is like 34, one doesn't want to be here any longer than he has to, and Guerin is driving the third one away. It doesn't really matter if we don't have "albatrosses" because we don't have very many good players and we're paying 15M for 0 players to play every night for three years. There's no way to spin our situation as a "good" one.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
I really think Billy should tear it all down, spend the next 4 years in a quick retool.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
4 years is a "quick retool"? What kinda drugs are you on?

My drug is called reality.
Fact is many teams in the league have taken many more years to try and rebuild/retool because they don't commit.
Teams that take an aggressive dive with a clear goal can get back faster than expected.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Fact is many teams in the league have taken many more years to try and rebuild/retool because they don't commit.
Teams that take an aggressive dive with a clear goal can get back faster than expected.
Like BUF? EDM?

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
would you like to cite some examples?

I don’t disagree about the path of rebuilding, but I do disagree that it needs to be a full tear-down

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Why? His agent said September 1st. When KHL starts.
It’s a bluff. The kid doesn’t want to play there. If he is willing to skip a prime year or his career over whatever issue they’re having with the contract then he’s not the guy they want to build around anyways.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
Just because other teams sucked for longer doesn't mean 4 years is quick. And teams that make the playoffs don't decide to just blow everything up in one offseason, especially considering that the Wild have already been retooling for 2 years now.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
would you like to cite some examples?

I don’t disagree about the path of rebuilding, but I do disagree that it needs to be a full tear-down

I think a full dive in terms of like the Kings just did. You don't have to deal away your franchise's top stars, but you have to deal away any assets you can to get back even more assets.

Fiala fits it to a tee. In his prime early, RFA after expiry, he's 25, but when the team is ready to go he's 29. So maybe, just maybe trade him for a couple assets that will become 23-25 in 4 years who will be ready to be the new core.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
The suter and parise buyouts really dictate when the window should be open to compete for a cup and that’s in 4 years. So with that said, fiala and kaprisov are both likely gone by then, get prospects and picks, and in 4 yrs when your top young ELC need raises, the window will be there

Last edited:
Reactions: Al Lagoon

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
I think a full dive in terms of like the Kings just did. You don't have to deal away your franchise's top stars, but you have to deal away any assets you can to get back even more assets.

Fiala fits it to a tee. In his prime early, RFA after expiry, he's 25, but when the team is ready to go he's 29. So maybe, just maybe trade him for a couple assets that will become 23-25 in 4 years who will be ready to be the new core.
This is total revisionist history. The Kings didn't plan on going into a rebuild. They just stunk so bad they started trading off guys on expiring contracts because it didn't make sense to keep them. They didn't trade Toffoli and Martinez until the 2020 trade deadline, at which point they hadn't won a playoff game in three years. It's nowhere near comparable to where the Wild are right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad