Confirmed Signing with Link: [MIN] Kevin Fiala re-signs with the Wild (1 year, $5.1M)

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Longer term means higher AAV, hard to do when you don’t have the cap.
Not a Wild fan but isn't this basically the only season they had cap to try and work out a LT deal? If he finds his game next season how the heck will they be able to afford an even higher AAV than if they had locked him up now?

As someone who has seen the wild a lot from when we were in the same division I have never seen them attempt a proper re-build, every new GM seems to come in and make moves that signal one then make moves that don't. You ask any western-based fan and they will have trouble nailing down what kind of team they are and this has been that way for over a decade.
Of all American fanbases, wild fans would still support a team that decides to re-build so I'm not sure what's the issue since honestly most outside fans avoid wild games when it comes to oppenents. When dividing up my season tickets, the wild, coyotes were always the ones nobody really wanted, it's a shame considering the fans they have. Again I'm not privy to all things but Guerin seems lost and unsure of what direction to go and not locking up your 2nd best player who's fun to watch seems dumb.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
In theory, what would this be if the league came to senses and not penalized contracts they initially accepted, even if it was grudgingly?

I mean, if you accept them, you can't change the rules.

I know that is what happened.

Edit. People point out this isn't recapture, so it is just due to the fact the cap-hit was really high compared to the salary, and it would have been like this even without the changed rules? Ok, then I have no sympathy here.

The only team the league screwed over in terms of cap penalty is the Canucks on the Luongo deal. League accepted the deals league wide back then, but only penalize the Canucks.

Reactions: Name Nameless

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
I would not be surprised if Billy is already on the phones offering Fiala @50% retained to see how many picks he can get from a contender.

Fiala would be one hot ticket item IMO for a team that is in a MUST WIN THIS SEASON mode. And the team could also flip him at the draft, for one of the hottest ticket item then.

Colorado could signal to the league that it's their cup this year.

Vancouver? Benning has a mandate from Ownership, and the easiest way to fix your defensive issue is to outscore it.

Both team's top 9 would be insane.
If we didn't trade for Garland I would agree but at some point only enough puck to go around.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
If we didn't trade for Garland I would agree but at some point only enough puck to go around.

Into the net! Then we get another one!

Kidding aside. Fantasy discussion, and I think the enough pucks to go around argument only works when you are talking about players who needs the puck on stick to be effective. I don't think that would be a problem if some how FAQ held another gun to Benning's head and said he wants Fiala. Most of Canucks top 9 can shoot, pass and chase for the puck.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Not a Wild fan but isn't this basically the only season they had cap to try and work out a LT deal? If he finds his game next season how the heck will they be able to afford an even higher AAV than if they had locked him up now?
About the only thing that could open up room for an extension would be Kaprizov signing with CSKA. At that point Kaprizov's rights would probably be traded and they could use the space they had earmarked for him on Fiala. That seems unlikely, but I wouldn't blame the team for wanting to hedge their bets until they have something in writing.

Beyond that though, you're right. Signing a longer term deal now would mean the ratio of RFA years to UFA years would be higher, which should keep the AAV down at least a little. The cap hit will only go up from here unless his performance absolutely tanks.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Good AAV but I can’t imagine Minnesota fans are excited to see this. Really seems like a trade/leaving as a UFA after his next deal seem like the most likely outcomes as opposed to him being a fixture in their top 6 for the foreseeable future

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013

As someone who has seen the wild a lot from when we were in the same division I have never seen them attempt a proper re-build, every new GM seems to come in and make moves that signal one then make moves that don't. You ask any western-based fan and they will have trouble nailing down what kind of team they are and this has been that way for over a decade.
Of all American fanbases, wild fans would still support a team that decides to re-build so I'm not sure what's the issue since honestly most outside fans avoid wild games when it comes to oppenents. When dividing up my season tickets, the wild, coyotes were always the ones nobody really wanted, it's a shame considering the fans they have. Again I'm not privy to all things but Guerin seems lost and unsure of what direction to go and not locking up your 2nd best player who's fun to watch seems dumb.
The deadcap balloons to like 12-14M next year so keep his AAV down is important. It’s looking like moves will need to be made in order to accommodate his next deal so essentially this is kicking the can down the road a little. He’s 25 with 2 years of control so if he’s looking to capitalize on potential earnings being a UFA at 27 for a long term deal seems nice. Doesn’t make sense for the Wild though. Maybe he’s willing to sign a higher AAV 3-4 year deal and then hopefully another lucrative one at 28-29?

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Must be leaving the Wild? Sweet contract for a year, but that'd hurt to lose him. He's a legit 1st line winger on a team that desperately needs all the talent it can get.

Edit: he's still RFA at the end, so not the end of the world, but not ideal.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I'd be surprised if he isn't traded before this deal expires. If the team was going to commit long term to him this would have been the time to do it. Kicking this can down the road one more year would only raise the AAV and make things more difficult.

What are your guys main needs moving forward? center prospects? Would love to get this guy to Edmonton. Something around Holloway work?

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Centers are still the team's biggest need. I'd be plenty interested in Holloway.

Fiala is one of the guys I’d move him for. Legit scorer beside either McDavid or Draisaitl. We could maximize his value. Plus I’d like to see Yamamoto on the 3rd line. I’d add the 1st if Koskinen’s goes to make the cap work for this year. Dumping Koskinen’s should cost a 2nd but a 1st is doable as Fiala is legit and Holloway with a plus is fair anyways

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Right, but if they weren't worried about the recapture there wouldn't have been any reason to buy them out. They could have just traded them or buried them in the minors.
Full nmc meant that neither was going to the A. Plus sending 1 way deals to the A saves just over $1 mill against the cap. The days of Redden (ing) a player are over.

Suter would have ended up being a 50% retention if he was traded based on his Dallas deal and cap hit. But in the end he also gets to make $14 mill on top of the $6.7 he got paid out for over $20 mill vs just collecting the remaining $10 due to him over the 4 years left of his long term deal. So you are at his mercy of waiving the nmc. Saw him get more money so what would the incentive have been for him to waive if asked?

Parise yet to sign. He was the one that made sense to buyout.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
All the good, young talent seems to not want tobe there long term.

Actually, Fiala did want to be here long term. It was Guerin that f***ed that one up.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Centers are still the team's biggest need. I'd be plenty interested in Holloway.
The only thing that would worry me about Holloway(besides the fact that he is a prospect, and not proven) is that apparently he is more of a natural winger. This is according to an EDM poster who saw him play in ALTA. I know he played some C in WI, but I keep seeing a power forward/W when I see him. I think he will be a good middle six forward, but I don't think he has the skill that Fiala has.

Anyway, the ship has sailed for EDM because of them signing Hyman and Nurse to those contracts. They will need all the ELC's they can get. They won't be able to afford Fiala after this year.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
Full nmc meant that neither was going to the A. Plus sending 1 way deals to the A saves just over $1 mill against the cap. The days of Redden (ing) a player are over.

Suter would have ended up being a 50% retention if he was traded based on his Dallas deal and cap hit. But in the end he also gets to make $14 mill on top of the $6.7 he got paid out for over $20 mill vs just collecting the remaining $10 due to him over the 4 years left of his long term deal. So you are at his mercy of waiving the nmc. Saw him get more money so what would the incentive have been for him to waive if asked?

Parise yet to sign. He was the one that made sense to buyout.
So you're arguing both for and against the buyout? Interesting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad