Confirmed Signing with Link: [MIN] Kevin Fiala re-signs with the Wild (1 year, $5.1M)

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
I'd be surprised if he isn't traded before this deal expires. If the team was going to commit long term to him this would have been the time to do it. Kicking this can down the road one more year would only raise the AAV and make things more difficult.

Isn’t next year the main issue with the cap? Then everything after that is “manageable”? (I’m actually asking. Not trying to be an ass)

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
They do have the cap, though...just not next year because of the Parise/Suter dead space. That's the issue.
That means they don’t have the cap because the deadcap balloons for Parise/Suter increases by 8M. Rask/Goligoski are potentially off the books but then you need to backfill plus KK/Greenway’s raise.

Reactions: Rangers ftw

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Isn’t next year the main issue with the cap? Then everything after that is “manageable”? (I’m actually asking. Not trying to be an ass)
The schedule on the dead cap space from the buyouts is:

2021-22: $4.7m
2022-23: $12.7m
2023-24: $14.7m
2024-25: $14.7m

(and then several years at $1.6m)

So 2021-22 is the "easy" year and 2022-25 will be very tight.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
seems like a big win for Minnesota

Seems reasonable/win and he’s an RFA at the end of it.
RFAs who get a one year deal after a two year bridge deal tend to end up on different teams.

The point of a bridge deal is to lead into a longer deal, if it doesn’t the team or player just aren’t into each other or there’s a fundamental disagreement over the value of the player.

Reactions: NHL WAR and JAK

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
RFAs who get a one year deal after a two year bridge deal tend to end up on different teams.

The point of a bridge deal is to lead into a longer deal, if it doesn’t the team or player just aren’t into each other or there’s a fundamental disagreement over the value of the player.
Could be that Minnesota is trying to navigate their cap situation also. I’ve seen odder instances with my team this offseason with Bert who went on a bridge, arbitrated a year, and then signed a two year deal eating a year of UFA. I’m really curious how they’re going to handle 22-25 where the deadcap is like 12-15M maybe a good time to tank.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
Could be that Minnesota is trying to navigate their cap situation also. I’ve seen odder instances with my team this offseason with Bert who went on a bridge, arbitrated a year, and then signed a two year deal eating a year of UFA. I’m really curious how they’re going to handle 22-25 where the deadcap is like 12-15M maybe a good time to tank.
They have to pray that the cap by some miracle will be significantly higher.

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021
This all-but-assures Fiala is a goner from Minnesota

they did this so his trade value is at its highest. They cant afford to sign him long-term after this year, but they left one year RFA to negotiate a sign-and-trade or, at worst case, get his trade deadline value.

Or Minnesota is dumb and theyll sing him long term when they cant even build a team until 2025

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
That means they don’t have the cap because the deadcap balloons for Parise/Suter increases by 8M. Rask/Goligoski are potentially off the books but then you need to backfill plus KK/Greenway’s raise.
It is thought that Goligoski and Guerin have an agreement that he will re-sign next year for a lesser amount(i.e. 2M), after getting overpaid this year(5M), because of the cap situation. Rask(4M) will be gone next year. Zuccarello's NMC(6M) will be gone after this year, and he might be moveable in trade. I could see Dumba(6M) being moved next offseason if O'Rourke and/or Addison look good this year, and Greenway, if he looks like he will be too expensive to re-sign.

It is a reasonable expectation that players like Boldy, Rossi, Dewar, and Addison(all ELC's) will be giving them NHL TOI as soon as this year, Beckman, and Ryan O'Rourke in 22-23. Maybe Lambos, too, but that might be too optimistic. Bottom line is that MN will have some ELC talent coming, which will be necessary till the Suter/Parise cap hits come off the books. Guerin will certainly have to do some tap dancing, but I can see that he can make things work.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad